It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Anyone here take a dose of oral steroids for inflamation??? WHat about trigger point?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-24-2007, 05:43 AM   #1
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
    Question Anyone here take a dose of oral steroids for inflamation??? WHat about trigger point?

Hello,

Has anyone here taken oral steroids for inflamation??

I am currently taking something called a Medrol Pack. It is for 6 days. You take the largest amount on the first day and then do a gradual decrease to the last day.

They give me the worst taste in my mouth and I feel wired and really icky. Good news is I only have 3 days left. Bad news is I feel no different as far as the pain I am having. I feel the same.

Next order of business for this patient is to have an EMG and some trigger point injections. I am not looking forward to this and I really don't think that they are going to help. I know kind of a negative attitude but I am just so tired of all the different meds and procedures.

So did anyone ever feel that these things helped them? I just want to be out of pain and have the problems fixed or made better. I am afraid that steroids will only mask over the actual issues that need to be addressed.

Please some advise would be great.

My PM doc feels as though I have a lot of symptoms going on and that there could now be some issues in the thoracic region of my spine and possibly some issues in my shoulder.
    He ordered more x-rays of flexion and extension in my c-spine and we will do an EMG on the first of October along with the trigger poin injections. After that he said he may order an MRI of the thoracic area and my shoulder.

What would they be looking for in my shoulder in an MRI. Could I have torn my rotator cuff in the auto accident? I was pressing myself really hard against the seat and sterring wheel just beore and as we impacted. I got a really good jolt into my already bad left arm and wrist. DO you think that I really could have injured the shoulder like that?
    I actually tried to get the GP to include the thoracic area in the first MRI but he would not so now we will have to do it all over again.
    Is it better to have them with or without the contrast?
    The c-spine MRI was with out contrast. Which one is better??
    Please any reflections are welcome....
    Thanks Chrissy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
    acaptainn
    (male)

acaptainn HB User
    Re: Anyone here take a dose of oral steroids for inflamation??? WHat about trigger po

Ive Had The Med Pac, U Can Also Buy Em Cheaper By Not Getting The Measured Pac An Count Em Urself,,ive Also Had Trigger Point Inj.

Neither Helped My Pain, But Do Gimme Yeast Infetions,,yippeeee (not) Im Diabetic, They Think Thats Why I Get The Inf.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Re: Anyone here take a dose of oral steroids for inflamation??? WHat about trigger po

Thanks Acap,

I don't feel as though the med pack is really helping me much and I am almost done with it.

I have already had an Epidural steroid injection that was supposed to be done at C 3-4 C 4-5, but the PM doc did it at T1 and C 7 but did not tell me that untill after. That is not where the Neuro had ordered it so I went to a different PM because I did not like that other guy anyway.

My PM that I am seeing now is actually one that I was seeing for my WC arm injuries. So he is really familiar with me.

He says he does not think that I am a good candidate for another epidural at this time and wants to try the trigger points.

I am really trying to have a positive attitude about the trigger points but if the medrol pak and the wrong epidural I had did nothing what makes them think that anymore steroid type stuff should work??

Today I went to my chiro and my home traction unit came in so I just used it. I like it but it only feels good while I am in it.

Did anybody else out there have any results from any of these methods??
    Can these meds and procedures really fix or make better the compressed nerves or am I just doing what they say and jumping through the hoops of conservative methods in hopes that it will maybe help?

Once the nerve is compressed is it always going to be an issue for flare ups?

Anymore input would help!!

Thanks Chrissy

Old 09-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

I took 2 of those Medrol Dosepaks in July. The first one helped a little. The second didnt help. I got insomnia from hell, though. (oh yes, and wired!).

I have done many trigger point injections. I had my last ones (which were the first since my fusion last Jan) 2 weeks ago and they actually helped. I would try it.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:58 AM   #5
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

SKZ,

Thanks!

I am going to try whatever they suggest to do. I am just a bit tired of meds and procedures. I will work through the resentment of being in this position. Actually today I am not to resentful so that is a good thing.

The medrol pak is almost done. I have today and tomorrw left and that is it. The side effects are tappering as well.

As far as the pain goes...well it may be somewhat intermittent but the numbness and tingly stuff is still constant and that deep pain that burns in the low scapula is still there.
    I actualluy have been having pain in my lower back somewhat and the chiro worked on that to yesterday.
    So in the meantime I will just hang in untill Next Monday for the EMG and the triggerpoint injections.
    Thaks for responding it is good to hear peopls experience with these things.

Chrissy

Old 09-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

I have been working hard, also, on not being resentful about having a chronic pain situation. Of course, its easier when the pain is less. Its a constant battle, though.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
    acaptainn
    (male)

acaptainn HB User

Yea its hard dealing with chronic pain. 8yrs fer me, other than meds the only other thing that has helped is nerve blocks and not all of those helpd, ive been told surgery wont fix me.

Its been hard , ive succumed to pain med addicition on top of evrything else
    but have beat that ( mostly )

GOOD LUCK !

Old 09-26-2007, 05:03 AM   #8
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Good Morning,

Acaptainn, 8 years is a long time!!! I am sorry to hear that.

It is tough and it takes constant work to try and stay focused on what is right in front of us.

I am a recovering addict too and so I already have a screwy way of thinking. I have not abused my pain meds and that is a good thing but I can see how so many folks can fall inot that place.

Really I try hard to follow a spiritual path but it is easier said than done sometimes.

Well today is the last day of the steroids and I think that there may be an ever so slight difference in my pain. The thing is that I still have all the tingly and burning stuff. The pain just subsides for short little periods. That is about the only difference.
    I hope they don't want me to take anymore of that stuff because I just don't like the way it makes me feel.
    Yesterday I was feeling very inflammed so I went to the Hot Springs pool here in my town and soaked for about 2 hours. They have this pipe that has a large stream of the hot springs natural mineral water that comes out and I let that run down all over my back...very relaxing and nice and warm. I felt better after that.

What comes after the trigger point injections??
    Do they want to do those things more than once or twice?
    Chrissy

Old 09-26-2007, 05:43 AM   #9
    acaptainn
    (male)

acaptainn HB User

mornin chrissy
    for me the next step was nerve blocks ( b4 they do that they do nerve facet?i think its called to see if u get relief) the blocks did work for some of my pain
    tho only for bout 6 months and it came back they did the block agin acoupla months ago so far so good

good luck and i hope your pain is btr today

Old 09-26-2007, 06:42 AM   #10
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Hey Cap,

I am an early riser and today I am preping for my Biology exam at noon. So I have already been up since about 4 am studying. I know kinda insane.

I took my morning meds and then I just got done with the traction unit for about 10 min.

I feel about medium so far this morning. What I want to avoid is having to take more meds before the exam so my thinking is clear. Today is also my long day at school so that is sometimes hard on my neck.

Monday will be the trigger points and I really hope that they help. The PM doc said he may want more tests...MRI on shoulder and thoracic area. I figure why wait!! Lets just get it done already.

Nerve blocks sound somewhat like a bain aid to a bigger problem. If they block the nerve from doing its job isn't that sort of like covering up the actual problem? I may have read that they also use it for a diagnostic to to see if you get relif from it....I guess then that shows there is a problem with that specific area. Am I on the right track with that thinking?

Check ya later...Chrissy

Old 09-26-2007, 10:04 AM   #11
    purpletrail
    (female)

purpletrail HB User

Chrissy,

I had the round of steroids and it did help. I didn't feel the affects until I finished the medication. After the steroids, I felt like I had a new neck and as a side effect, new lungs ( I have asthma). I went running during this time and felt so great!! I could breath so much easier and my neck wasn't an issue. Unfortunately, the reduction in pain only lasted several weeks.

I had a similar result from injections. They made me much more sore for about a week, then I had good pain reduction for about 6 weeks.

Some people see pain reduction for months or even a year after a round of steroids or injections. Since my pain relief was considered temporary, they couldn't justify futher injections or steroid treatment. I hope that you are one of those who can see improvement from the treatment!

Holly

Old 09-26-2007, 06:05 PM   #12
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Thanks Holly,

Yes that would be nice. I have had steroid injections in my arm before and they only helped for a short period of time.

We shall see what happens.

Chrissy

Old 09-27-2007, 10:50 AM   #13
    acaptainn
    (male)

acaptainn HB User

I Think ur right that its a bandaid but relief from pain is on the top of my list.

SINCE im told there is no surgery that will help me,

GOODLUCK

Closed Thread