It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 4 weeks post-op ACDF and Corpectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
    Janatee
    (female)

Janatee HB UserJanatee HB User
    4 weeks post-op ACDF and Corpectomy

Hello All. I had surgery on Aug. 30th. I had 4 levels and 1 corpectomy ACDF. I was having problems with my legs, more so with my left leg. Heaviness, numbness, could hardly walk. This went on for at least 8 years getting worse each year. Finally I found a great doctor who found the problem. This was all coming from my neck. Doctor went in and made sure I had no more compressions on my spinal cord. I have a lot of hardware and they used my own bone. They took the bone from my neck and it was used with a mixture and then put back in with a cage. Wow. What they can do these days! I was in the hospital for 2 days, hardly any pain. I do wear an Aspen collar 24/7. I can remove it for bathing, and eating. AND if I sit very still and do not turn my head for about 30 minutes. Its hard to sleep in, but I have adjusted. The best part is after this was over, I could walk without a limp. Wonderful....It will be for me a long recovery, but each day is getting better and better. My throat is not sore anymore, but I do still have to eat smaller bites, due to the fact that my throat is still a bit swollen inside as well as outside. My incision is healing nicely. I have had my first check up, but go back in two weeks for x rays to see how the fusion is doing. Thank the Lord I have a wonderful husband, who has taken on the housework, cooking and keeping me happy!! He will need a vacation after all is said and done...lol lol
    I check this site a lot, and can not believe how many people have this problem with their neck, and have to have this operation. I have written to a few of you, and many replied with great words of advice. That has helped me get through this. Thank you all. Best wishes to each one of you while you are recovering.. Keep up the good work. And remember> THIS TO SHALL PASS.. Janatee

The Following User Says Thank You to Janatee For This Useful Post:
    debralyn13 (02-21-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
    mllsj53
    (female)

mllsj53 HB User
    Re: 4 weeks post-op ACDF and Corpectomy

Janatee.
    It's stories like yours that are so encouraging to me. I will have to undergo the same type of surgery as you just went through. I have to admit that I have been dreading what is ahead of me, but it sounds like you pulled through it like a champ and that has helped ease my mind a bit.

Good luck and a big wish for an extra speedy recovery.

ml

Old 09-25-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
    Janatee
    (female)

Hello ML I sure hope my post has helped you in some way. Believe me, when I heard the doctor tell me what I needed done, I wanted to run out of the office, and NOT have the operation. I had a hard choice to make. I questioned the doctor as to what would happen if I did nothing? He told me that in time I would end up in a wheel chair. So, I had to decide if I wanted to go on the way I was, not walking great at all, OR at least have a chance to have a better life again. I prayed a lot, and decided to put this in the Lords hands and go from there. He did answer me when the phone rang out of the blue, and they said we have an opening on Aug. 30th, this was my answer... I went for it.. I knew this would not be a fun time, but I had to look at what it could be down the line. I did a lot of research on the procedure it self, and my doctor. I was blessed with both. He has wonderful hands, and did a wonderful job. I'm 53 years old was walking with a cane, when I could walk at all. You have to have a positive attitude going in, and this will really help you. You take each day as it comes, and you take baby steps, and all will be fine. If you need more info, please ask me. I will try to answer any questions you might have. When are you scheduled for this operation? Please keep me posted on your progress. I know you will be fine. Good luck. Keep the faith. Janatee

debralyn13 (02-19-2012)
    Old 09-26-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
    mllsj53
    (female)

mllsj53 HB User

Just went to my doc today to review the myelogram and CT scan. He showed me a very large bone spur with a large amount of calcification that is compressing and pushing my spinal cord into an odd shape. He said that he will do one full corpectomy plus 1/2 corpectomy 3-4, 4-5 (hopefully not two corpectomies, it is left to be determined once he gets in there) and fusion on the vertebrae below it. There is also a large herniated disc at 7-8 causing lots of problems too. He will brace up everything in between. My surgery is scheduled for October 18 and I am going with my own bone. He said that he will need about an inch of my hip bone. Wish it was more than an inch that needed to be removed in order to have those slim hips I've been desiring. haha

In talking to my doctor today, he made me feel like I was his only patient, took the time to explain everything he was going to do. Listened patiently to my concerns. I feel that I will be safe (with God's help to guide him) in his hands.

I will keep you posted.

The Following User Says Thank You to mllsj53 For This Useful Post:
    debralyn13 (02-19-2012)
    Old 09-26-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
    Janatee
    (female)

Hey , Great to hear you have a good relationship with your doctor. That is so very important. Boy, you sure sound like me in all they want to do. The things that they can do today is just unbelievable... I know you will do great. Its the waiting that is the hardest. But look at me, tomorrow it will be 4 weeks post-op. Time sure flies when your in an Aspen Collar...lol lol lol Fun aside, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. The Good Lord will work through his hands, and you once again will be up and running, and I'm sure feeling much better . Just remember to go slow...Glad to hear from you anytime...

debralyn13 (02-19-2012)
    Old 09-27-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
    whatever2
    (male)

whatever2 HB User

Congratulations on your surgery. How long will you be in the Aspen? Mine was 3 months. At first I was afraid to sleep wihout it but put that behind me in a couple of nights. The next milestone for you will be driving yourself to your checkups. I'm 16 months post and I can do most things I was doing before I went down hill. Now I struggle with what I'm supposed to really feel like because I'm almost 61 yrs old and I don't know what a 61 yr old is supposed to feel like. Am I goofy or what?

ml,

You are probably going to find this a lot easier than you think. Let us know how you are doing afterwards.

Larry

Old 09-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
    Janatee
    (female)

Thanks for writing Larry... To answer you question about the Aspen, I really don't know. I have had my first check up 2 weeks after the operation. All is going well with the healing of the incision. They want me back the 16th of Oct. for x rays on the fusion! Sure hope that is healing like it should. Doc said to keep the collar on until then, we shall go from there. I do take it off to eat, and shower. But, its back on asap. Some days it does drive me crazy, but I know its for a good cause.. I have been allowed to walk outside on level ground, for a short trip. It feels good to get out and walk. My problems were with my legs. My leg still feels heavy and numb, but I can feel it getting better each day. The limp I had is no longer... That is wonderful. My throat is still swollen , but not like the first day. The soreness inside is just about gone, but I still have to eat small bites due to it being swollen in there. I do not need any straws now, and I do sleep in bed with this collar on. Not a good night, but I make it work. I really don't know what to tell you about normal??? If you really want some answer, I would call your doctor, and maybe he/she could guide you in that. All I know, is that this is going to take time (for me) and I will just have to take it step by step. No need going too fast, that could mess it all up. I have come to far to do that! Keep doing what you are doing, and I/m sure in time you will feel better and stronger then you did months ago. Keep a positive attitude.. that is all we can do. Take care...Janatee

Old 09-28-2007, 03:41 AM   #8
    rene24
    (female)

rene24 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Janatee View Post
    Hello ML I sure hope my post has helped you in some way. Believe me, when I heard the doctor tell me what I needed done, I wanted to run out of the office, and NOT have the operation. I had a hard choice to make. I questioned the doctor as to what would happen if I did nothing? He told me that in time I would end up in a wheel chair. So, I had to decide if I wanted to go on the way I was, not walking great at all, OR at least have a chance to have a better life again. I prayed a lot, and decided to put this in the Lords hands and go from there. He did answer me when the phone rang out of the blue, and they said we have an opening on Aug. 30th, this was my answer... I went for it.. I knew this would not be a fun time, but I had to look at what it could be down the line. I did a lot of research on the procedure it self, and my doctor. I was blessed with both. He has wonderful hands, and did a wonderful job. I'm 53 years old was walking with a cane, when I could walk at all. You have to have a positive attitude going in, and this will really help you. You take each day as it comes, and you take baby steps, and all will be fine. If you need more info, please ask me. I will try to answer any questions you might have. When are you scheduled for this operation? Please keep me posted on your progress. I know you will be fine. Good luck. Keep the faith. Janatee

Old 09-28-2007, 03:45 AM   #9
    rene24
    (female)

rene24 HB User

Dear Janatee, I have to say you sound like you could be my sister. You had the exact same symptoms and problems walking as my sister did. She too, has recently undergone surgery, and she is doing remarkable well. She no longer will have to use her cane , and soon she too will be done with the collar!!! Just wanted to say, good luck, and God Bless!!! Take care and Godspeed with your recovery. Love, Rene24

Old 09-28-2007, 09:38 PM   #10
    Janatee
    (female)

Thanks Rene 24 for the uplifting words.. Its been a long haul, but I think I will be able get better. Each day something new I experience.. I have not walked normal for at least 8 years, always hoping that it would heal itself, or just get better on its own...I guess I was wrong. But with the help of research, and putting my problems in the Lords Hands, I'm now on my way to a great recovery... Once again, thanks.. Janatee PS: Not to mention all the support from my family and friends.. without them I don't think I could have done this...I too have a sister who I pray her problems with one day get better, and she will be back to health.

Closed Thread