It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Had Epidural in cervical spine 2 days ago still in pain help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2007, 04:48 AM   #1
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
    Had Epidural in cervical spine 2 days ago still in pain help!

Thanks for reading...
    2 days ago I had an ESI, my first ever. Well the next day I went to work (I work in a pretty physical environment), I lasted 5 hours went home and had a throbbing headache just in the right side of my head, it also traveled down my arm, it was piercing and still hurts. I called the Doctor since I was on the verge of tears, she said it could be a side effect of the cortisone or just pain from my stenosis and the medication not being absorbed yet. At any rate I did not go to work today, she advised me to take a day off. I am still in pain and my neck still hurts.... I am supposed to have 2 more but I think I may pass. Has anyone been in a lot of pain after ESI?
    I just cant keep taking off of work... I am so upset!

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2007, 05:52 AM   #2
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User
    Re: Had Epidural in cervical spine 2 days ago still in pain help!

Hmmm not sure why you are in so much pain, I had a series of 3 and did not have any problems. Could it be that they pierced the cord and need a blood patch? I am not sure that is the right wording but I know when I had a mylegram for example I was fine but my gal pal had one and ended up with a horrid headache and had to go have a blood patch done. Look into it..

Old 10-03-2007, 06:49 AM   #3
    acaptainn
    (male)

acaptainn HB User

Evry time i have a procedure i hurt like hades for a few days, the doc dint seem to believe me at 1st but now has started given me some meds aftr the procedures, they tell me all people react and heal differently.
    Goodluck

Old 10-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Hi alex12,
    I also get bad headaches for about 3 days after these procedures. Doc says its probably reaction to the meds and steroids. They have me up my pain meds for a couple days after.

One trick is to schedule injections on Friday to allow the weekend to regroup. Use ice pack on your head and neck, it really does help.

Before you give up, you might want to try at least #2, it can take a week or more for the steroids to work so you might not be feeling anything right now. The 2nd dose of steroids, might help you. If you get no relief after 2 injections, then it could be a reasonable decision to not do #3.

Hang in there.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you all for the feedback. Its so nerve racking to have someone stick a needle in your neck and then when the pain is more severe after the fact you start to get nervous something went wrong!

Thank God that there is a place to get opinions otherwise I wold be lost!

Old 10-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
    acaptainn
    (male)

acaptainn HB User

Alex tell your doc about this, and dont wait ,let them know how you feel now
    it might ease further procedures

Old 10-04-2007, 04:39 AM   #7
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well my doctor is not doing anymore epidurals in my neck. She said what is happening is that since my stenosis is bad therei s just not enough room in the epidural space for the medication to go directly in so it is staying in there causing pressure until it get dissolves. I am so upset since that was my last hope besides surgery!
    I just dont know waht to do! I am in pain and just so afraid of cervical spine surgery!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:18 AM   #8
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hi ALEX,

Sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. When I had my first epidural, I to had terrible pain and head ache after. Not to mention that the PM doc did it in a place other than directed by my neuro.

I now go to a different PM because I did not even like the other guy.

I feel your pain and I to am afraid of any kind of cervival spine surgeries.

In the last 3 years I have had 4 surgeries on my left arm and the thought of needing some other kind of surgery just makes me sick to my tummy.

Being able to have courage is not as easy as it sounds. Some days I got it and others I am scared of my pain and my issues and my future. It is tough and pain starts to effect our thinking and decisions moaking abilities. It is a vicious cycly and not many people can understand those that have the chronic pain issues.

I am only 37 years old and I do not want to have any fusions in my cervical spine at this age. If there are less evassive approaches I am willing to try them. BUT like you I do not like the thought of going through to many of the injections. I had the one epidural and then last monday I had some trigger points. Four injections at one time, so on top of the regualr pain I now have the added soreness and swelling form the injections.
    It is hard to even tell if they have worked because my issues can vary in there intensity from day to day.

My PM doc mentioned something about Facet block injections. Who knows. The neck and mid back stuff is al from a car accident so I really do need to follow the direction and try what the docs suggest. My neuro thinks that if injections do not work I should have a foraminotomy. After that the only thing left is a fusion whinch he said he really would not want to do because I am so young.

So how did your injury occur?? Is it something you have been dealing with for a really long time? If so it really moght be time to run through the less evassive things and then go for surgery if the other options don't work.

I am not sure who mentioned it but I think that is was a good point...they said that it may be good to have the procedures on a Friday so that you have a weekend to relax and recuperate.

Hang in there and try to take comfort in the fact that we are here for you and you are not alone....
    Chrissy

Well hang in there and try to take com

Old 10-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #9
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Alex, I normally post on the back board. I had an ESI's several times and the pain always increases from about 2 to 5 days after the procedure and then I either have some relief or return back to my preinjection state.

4 weeks ago I had a nerve block with injections and am still a mess.

Just listen to your body and rest up. Good luck.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

The steroids can take a few days to do their full job and thus doing the full series of 3 is often reccomended. That way you get the optimal amount of medication and it takes effect after it 'builds up'.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:18 PM   #11
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

there is an ESI injection called transforaminal where they only inject at the nerve root instead of flooding the central canal. these are less painful, and work for many people.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:25 PM   #12
    Brian363
    (male)

Brian363 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alex12 View Post
    Well my doctor is not doing anymore epidurals in my neck. She said what is happening is that since my stenosis is bad therei s just not enough room in the epidural space for the medication to go directly in so it is staying in there causing pressure until it get dissolves. I am so upset since that was my last hope besides surgery!
    I just dont know waht to do! I am in pain and just so afraid of cervical spine surgery!

Old 12-27-2007, 03:31 PM   #13
    Brian363
    (male)

Brian363 HB User

I feel for you. I had 2 epidurals for cervical stenosis with the steroid and had negative results. However, I am experiencing pressure in my neck, headaches, weakness, soreness in my shoulders. I have to visit the surgeon in 2 weaks to figure out what to do. My incident was from a traumatic experience- I was struck by a motor vehicle, subsequently I hit the windshield. Not sure what to do-want to get a second opinion. Want to talk to a top surgeon in NJ or Ny area.

Closed Thread