It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• left fingers numb and right foot numb and can't bend

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
    Susieq557
    (female)

Susieq557 HB User
    left fingers numb and right foot numb and can't bend

For the past month, I have numbness in my foot along with not being able to bend it up. The numbness stared in my big toe. About a week ago, I noticed that my pinkie finger and ring finger on my left hand is also going numb. I have not had any trauma to any part of my body.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
    poopoopadoop
    (female)

poopoopadoop HB User
    Re: left fingers numb and right foot numb and can't bend

I had very similar symptoms and needed surgery for c5-6 herniation with osteophyte and cord compression. Did you have an MRI? What does your dr. say?

Lisa

Old 10-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
    Susieq557
    (female)

Susieq557 HB User
    Red face Re: left fingers numb and right foot numb and can't bend

I haven't had any testing yet. I went to my family doctor and she recommends I see a neuro or ortho man. I can't get an appt. for 2 weeks! I hope I'm not dead by then. I have no idea if I posted this at the right site. I have been thinking it could be all kinds of things. My neighbor is scaring me about MS. My mom has neuropathy and suggests that. I am a diabetic although my sugar is well under control since dieting. I sure hope they find what is wrong and I can get some help. I will be sure to mention to my doctor what you said. Thanks so much for responding. I reallly do appreciate it.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:04 AM   #4
    Susieq557
    (female)

Susieq557 HB User

poopoopadoop, where is the c5, c6 at? The lower back or in the neck? My neck has been so painful since all this started. Please let me know and thanks again for your reply.

Susie

Old 10-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
    poopoopadoop
    (female)

poopoopadoop HB User

C5-C6 is in the neck.

Good luck!
    Lisa

Old 10-09-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
    Susieq557
    (female)

Susieq557 HB User
    Unhappy Re: left fingers numb and right foot numb and can't bend

Thanks so much for letting me know about the c5 and c6. As I told you before, my neck, the base of it connected to the shoulders, is very painful to move around. I have the numbness in my right foot on top and I cannot bend my foot up. My fingers on my left hand are going numb as well. I don't get to see the doctor until Oct 18 and then it will only be the gp that will then send me to a neurologist, I suppose. Are these the symptoms you were also having? I don't mean to be a pain, but I am just so upset over all this. Today, my lips started feeling like they were going numb. Any help you can give me will be so appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
    poopoopadoop
    (female)

poopoopadoop HB User

Hi,
    Yes, I did have numbness in my foot and hand, difficulty moving my fingers and toes, and pain. When I finally got to see 2 neurosurgeons, they both said that I need ACDF surgery IMMEDIATELY. Since then, I have regained a lost reflex and feel much better. I had ACDF c5-6 in April.

Go to the ER if you can't stand it anymore.

Take care,
    Lisa

Old 10-10-2007, 11:35 PM   #8
    MysteryWhiteBoy
    (male)

MysteryWhiteBoy HB User

susieq,

i, too, have problems at c5-c6 (for the past 1.5+ years) and some of your symptoms echo things i have had or am currently dealing with. most of my problems are on my left side (from the base of skull, down neck, into arm and hand). the pain i usually feel is burning or aching (like a bruise). in addition, i occasionally get numbness/burning in the big toes of both feet...

i've been chasing this monster for a while now and nothing is totally conclusive, but a recent MRI did enlighten me quite a bit...look for my recent post about this.

i am also a hypochondriac and think the worst immediately...many times i have feared MS or ALS...or any other acronym you can think of. i have learned over this time that fear does nothing but cripple you (literally and figuratively)...try your best to ease your mind until you get this looked at...and, don't settle for the first opinion as the final answer...these things can be complicated and take time to understand. also, avoid self-diagnosing through the internet like the plague...seriously. i nearly had a nervous breakdown a couple of years ago when my low back went haywire...i immediately latched onto the thought that i might have ankylosing spondylitis (largely based on a hack of a primary care dr. i had back then who flippantly threw the term out like it was nothing)...

the moral of the story is, take a moment to breathe, relax, be proactive with your care, and try not to fear the worst...until you have a definitive diagnosis from more than one doctor, you only make yourself feel worse by being anxious (and likely exacerbate your symptoms in the process)...

take care and keep us posted...

all the best,

-mwb

Old 10-11-2007, 10:54 PM   #9
    misty555
    (female)

misty555 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Susieq557 View Post
    For the past month, I have numbness in my foot along with not being able to bend it up. The numbness stared in my big toe. About a week ago, I noticed that my pinkie finger and ring finger on my left hand is also going numb. I have not had any trauma to any part of my body.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:02 PM   #10
    misty555
    (female)

misty555 HB User

I had numbness in my left hand that mysteriously came and went over a period of 7 years (lasted about 4-6 weeks each episode). Left foot numbness joined in after about 5 years. Went through the whole MS scare (all the tests...not fun) and wasted about 1 year deciding it wasn't MS. I'm not sure why they always look for that first. I eventually got a second MRI of cervical spine (first one during MS probe showed problems, but doc said wasn't bad enough to cause my symptoms). Had ACDF C5/6/7 two weeks ago.
    I would ask for an MRI of neck and/or back. At least you'll know if it is the problem.

Closed Thread