It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• scared of cervical laminectomy...help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
    Misty67
    (female)

Misty67 HB User
    scared of cervical laminectomy...help!

Hello all,
    A brief history...had ACDF C4-C7 in April 06. Went thru 3 mos of physio, all went extremely well, returned to my job as a nurses aide in January 07. A lift went bad and I got hurt again. I'm now on the surgical waiting list for a ruptured disc at C3-C4 level, as well as 4 level laminectomy. I guess my questions are, how long does it take a fusion to heal? did I go back to work and the heavy lifting too fast? and now the next surgery ughhhh...I'm scared to death. Will I ever be able to return to my job as an aide? How bad is the surgery itself? What about the recovery time? I'm coming home to 3 kids, will I need help or can I handle it on my own? anyone that has been thru this pls leave feedback...good or bad I'd like to know what I'm in for. Thanks so much for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
    Re: scared of cervical laminectomy...help!

Hi Misty,

I saw that no body has posted to you yet and I wanted to post so that you would not get discouraged.

To be honest I really can not answer any of your questions, but I can make a suggestion to go through some of the posts and see what others have experienced in this area. There are many people that I have talked with in here that have a family and jobs that have had these surgeries.
    So hang in there and ask some questions in other posts if you do not have any replies in this one.
    Chrissy

Old 10-07-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

Misty

Gotta run tonight -but see my post under the C3-C7 title about laminectomy

-Gloria

Old 10-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User

I went through the same situation. ACDF C5-7 in 2002. It can take up to 1 full year for a fusion to heal. After any type of fusion, you should not be lifting patients nor anything heavy. But I did the same thing..... and ended up having a posterior lami at c6-7 in 2003 and then a revision ACDF 5-7 and a NEW FUSION at c4-5 in 2004. The area's above and below the level of the fusion are very sensitive and delicate. I was told by the surgeon it causes a domino effect and it is very common for them to herniate, rupture etc.
    The lami surgery I wont give my opinion on because I got a staph infection from it and suffered more than the average person would have but if it is done posteriorly it is more painful due to the cutting of all the muscles in that area.
    You will need help with your kids especially if they are toddler ages. And even if you feel good, DON'T LIFT ANYTHING HEAVY. In regards to your job what just happend to you now should tell you. I don't know your financial situation but go on long term disability if you can. Unfortunetaly I had to retire and am now on SS. I still have issues and need more surgery but cannot deal with anymore. I go to pain management and Thank God that I can walk.I wish you lots of luck and a speedy recovery.
    Lori

Last edited by HBMod07; 11-19-2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Please only quote the portion of the message you are responding to.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
    Misty67
    (female)

Misty67 HB User

Thanks so much for your reply, this is the info I've been looking for. My neurosurgeon signed off on me 6 weeks post op on the anterior surgery. Workers Comp pushed me back into my position as an aide too soon in my opinion. I was having a lot of right sided pain, they insisted I just needed to work thru it and build up my tolerance for the job. GRRRRRR!! I knew things weren't right, but no one would listen. I want to be sure this NEVER happens again so I'm posting my lil butt off and gathering all the info I can so I'm ready for them when they try and shove me into a situation my body isn't ready for. Thanks again for your time, Misty

Old 11-07-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
    AKGIRL
    (female)

AKGIRL HB User

Just saw your post and dont know if this is too late or not. I hope not. I had a 5 level posterior laminectomy without any fusion. I have to say, I cant imagine coming home without help. I was fairly young for the type of surgery (46) and in really good shape. I had congenital stenosis and didnt know it. But even being younger and in shape, that surgery just whacked me. I could no more be alone without help than fly. IT took a good 4 months just to get around... without working! I am a consultant so that was OK for me. The posterior approach is a bugger to recover from..You may need to lie down about 4 - 5 times a day..just to get the pressure off your neck.
    I am doing just great now...found a PT that performs myo facial release and it was crucial in helping me to recover. I had a lot of scar tissue..and this would help release that as well as help all of the muscles to stop spasming.
    I wish you well... you wil recover, and most likely be much better, but you really really need to take the time off to recover fully.
    Good luck.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
    Misty67
    (female)

Misty67 HB User

Thanks for the reply AKGIRL. Not too late at all, I had the surgery 2 weeks ago today, was sent home from the hospital the morning after. Thank God for my mother is all I can say lol The pain is far worse than having it done thru the front. I consider myself a pretty tough cookie but wow, wasn't ready for this one at all. The muscle spasms are enough to knock you off your feet. And you are right about taking frequent "lay downs" my head is far too heavy for my body right now lol I have a 6 week check up with my neuro and I'm preparing myself for the fight. At this point I'm ready to tell WCB to stuff it and the job. I just turned 40, in excellent health aside from the neck issues and I'm just not willing to go through this again for anything. I'm sick to death of hurting and not being able to enjoy all the things I used to do...I'm sure many of you can relate. I just don't feel my job (as much as I love it) is worth putting myself in this position again.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
    janisue
    (female)

janisue HB User

You have every right to be scared. I have Left paracentral disc extrusion at the level of c-7. I have heard horror stories about neck and back surgery. Check out the minimally invasive type surgeries. Where they don't cut much into the muscle. Get several opinions and don't rush to have surgery ever.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:49 AM   #9
    Houstondiva
    (female)

Houstondiva HB User

All-I had a laminectomy 8 years ago and walked the next day and never looked back and swore to everyone if it happened again I would elect for surgery asap and not get a million opionions or spend months in pt trying to avoid surgery. Well,. between a boot camp (weight lifting way to much) and getting hit in the back of my Tahoe on the way to work last Fall, I knew the symptons when they started happenning, I didnt get a 2nd opionion but I did try PT and prolonged another surgery. I had my second laminectomy on Tuesday of this week and it was just as easy as last time however the aftermath is not the same, my range of motion on my left side is bad and still have numbness in right hand while holding on the phone. The results of the lamincetomy were not as good this time and of course I am 46 this time, not 37. I am working at home for 2 weeks then can drive work in office again and will start pt after that if doctor OKs...

Oh, forgot, 1st lam was C6-7, second lam was C5-6..

Old 01-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

Houstondiva, Misty:

I had C4-C7 lami in sept 05 and my experience was between the two of you. I could have gone home from hospital next day but I was a bit dizzy and it was an hour away so I stayed an extra day. They did have me walking about 12 hrs after surgery. I need help at home for the first week, but by the end of the second week I was going back to work with hubby driving (we work together and I had to do payroll). I didn't drive til about 6 weeks, and I did lie down mid-day for quite a while. (I was on the computer at home after just a few days - I do computer consulting for a living)

My results were probably 80% - I still have C5-C6 stenosis and might need that operated on again in the future.

Given the same decision factors (I was 47 when I had surgery) I would choose the lami again over ACDF because of the number of levels.

-Gloria

Old 01-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
    Houstondiva
    (female)

Houstondiva HB User

Good to hear from someone that can relate, my friends cannot understand whey my neck keeps on causing me problems..I came home the same day and have been walking 30 minutes a day, slowly and puffing. From your ****, I guess I am at about 80% too. I just thought my left arm would be fine and I would be able to blow dry my hair again, not so. The 1st lami didnt effect the arm just neck pain, the 2nd lami my arm aches horribly so I stopped using it about 2 months ago and I think that is where my problem will be now., did you do pt after? Did it effect your tricep shoulder? Are you getting prickly feelings in your hands?

Closed Thread