It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• c3-c7

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
    neckhurtin
    (female)

neckhurtin HB User
    c3-c7

///////////////////////

Last edited by neckhurtin; 01-19-2008 at 12:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: c3-c7

You'll have to be more specific as there are a variety of different operations you can have for cervical problems - ACDF (anterior fusion) or PCDF (posterior) or discectomy or corpectomy, or laminectomy etc.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
    neckhurtin
    (female)

neckhurtin HB User

Last edited by neckhurtin; 01-19-2008 at 12:14 AM.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Ahh, sorry - that I can't help you with. Mine was an ACDF.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #5
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

Neckhurtin

I'm one of the few C4-C7 laminectomies out here - see my old posts. As I just wrote on another thread - given the same info, I'd make the same decision for laminectomy versus ACDF.

I don't check everyday, but give me more info and I'll keep checking in.

The biggest surprise was the lack of upper body motion immediately after surgery because of cutting into the big muscles -my husband had to help me shower and dress for the first week or so. I thought recovery was pretty fast. I did some part time work (I own the company) almost immediatly from home, but I started at the office part time after about three weeks, I think about 6 weeks til i felt comfortable driving.

I found a MacKenzie certified PT - worked with him for months but I still have a gait (walking) issue which was diagnosed about 9 months after surgery as some "permanent" damage because I had the stenosis for so long. So he came to the conclusion that my muscles are fine but not getting the right signals - that said - today I swim, walk and go to Curves. I guess I've given up downhill skiing. I've tried golf, but I think its probably not the best activity, I am ok with tennis although if I do a major mis-hit I feel it accross the back.

Tell me more about what's up with you.

-Gloria

Old 11-17-2007, 09:50 PM   #6
    bsnode28
    (male)

bsnode28 HB User

HI neckhurtin. I just had my acdf 3 days ago.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
    milleset
    (male)

milleset HB User

I am curious about this as well. I was just diagnosed with Cogenital C-Spine Stenosis at C4-C6, with an adjoining Hypo Posterior Fossa (Chiari Malformation). I have bulging disk at C6-C7 and a herniated disk at C5-C6 restricting the spinal fluid. I have not been to see the Neurosurgeon (Have to wait until 12/12/07) and loads of questions with no real answers. My GP says that recovery for the laminaplasty is 6-12 weeks. He has pulled me out of work completely because the compression is actually flattening my spinal cord and I drive alot. he says that one idiot on the road could kill me with a simple fender bender. My life seems to have been falling apart over the last 4 years in dealing with Chronic unexplained pain. I have frequent headaches and alot of pain that I have been dealing with without the aide of meds other than the occassional Vicodin or muscle relaxer. Within the last 2 months my pain has gone from bad to worse. Since my diagnosis my wife seems to think that I am manifesting some of the symptoms on my own accord. While in fact I have been feeling them all along, but just not able to voice them because I would get the usual "are you a man or a mouse" talk from my wife. I have sucked it up so long that my body is breaking down and even now I can't talk about it. How frustrating is that?

Anyhow, has anybody had a C-Spine stenosis diagnosis? A Laminaplasty? Or Chiari diagnosis?

Old 11-22-2007, 06:51 AM   #8
    Misty67
    (female)

Misty67 HB User

Hi neckhurtin,

I had a posterior laminectomy and forimanotomy on Oct. 23/07...ACDF in April 06. I have to agree with Gloria, the biggest hindrance was the inability to use my arms much after surgery. Getting in and out of a chair or bed was a beach! Was unable to dress myself for the first week or so as well. Also be ready for the muscle spasms, they'll level you but thankfully that doesn't last too long. Make sure you have some button up tops for after the surgery, you won't be able to get your arms into anything else for the first week or so.
    Its been a month for me and I think I'm coming along pretty good. I'm doing most everything at home again I just find I need to lay down for a few minutes mid morn and afternoon to take some of the pressure off the neck for a while...if I don't I sure feel it. I'm not driving yet, still can't turn my head far enuff to the right, but thats coming as well. Hope this helps a bit, if you have any ?'s ask away.

Karly

Closed Thread