It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• help understanding mri

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
    jodi41262
    (female)

jodi41262 HB User
    help understanding mri

I need to know if anyone can help me understand my mri and if this is what is causing so much pain and numbness.

c2-c3 unremarkable
    c3-c4right lateral osteophyte formation encroaching on the right neural foramen. the spinal canal is patent.

c4-c5 there is mild to moderate diffuse disc bulging that touches the spinal cord.
    the cord is not compressed c5-c6 there is mild diffuse disc bulging worse on the left side that touches the spinal cord on left side .there is lateral osteophyte formation on right side that encroaches the right neural foramin there is also mild left paramedian posterior osteophyte formation

impressions: disc bulging and posterior osteophyte formation at c4-c5 and c5- c6 levels. possible right lateral osteophyte formation at c3-c4

any help would be greatly appriciated. ty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: help understanding mri

Hi Jodi, looks like you got no replies, I have time for one more before I need to get off computer. Your case looks pretty classic for all of us here. Osteophytes are bone spur formations, looks like there are some in the foramen (this is where the nerve roots come off the spinal cord to your other body/extremities like through a little canal), think like a tree trunk (spinal cord) with branches (nerve roots). the canal is getting narrow and the nerves are probably rubbing on it. Spinal canal patent means in the center canal where you spinal cord is at the C3-4 level there is no narrowing- good!

Discs are spongy material and are found separating the levels of the spine.
    Basically I am guessing you have neck ache, arm pain maybe on both sides, shoulder blade , along with your numbness.

You should have a consultation with an orthopedic spine surgeron or a neurosurgeon for evaluation. It doesn't mean you have to do surgery, they are the best people to evaluate your condition.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
    jodi41262
    (female)

jodi41262 HB User

thank you for your help. Just wanted to let you know I had my appointment with the neurosurgeon and I have surgery on Nov 8th, they are doing acdf with plating is what the paper says

Old 10-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

I figured that's what they would say. I have a few observations for you.

1. what levels does the paper say? are they doing C3-5 or just C4-5?
    If they are only doing C4-5, you could ask surgeon if he intends to clean up
    C3-4.
    2. will you have another meeting with your surgeon before you surgery?
    3. are you using your own bone from your hip (autograph) or a donor bone during the surgery? (allograft)
    4. does your surgeon use collars after surgery? if so try to git it fitted before the surgery. most likely not if it is only one level.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
    jodi41262
    (female)

jodi41262 HB User

the papers says 3/4 and 4/5 he is using bone from bone bank and says I will be in collar for six weeks, he also has a possibility of a 3 level fusion? I am scare I hope that is normal ,I just know I would just about do anything to make the pain stop.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Hang in there, Nov will be here soon.

I am fused 3 levels, although they did not do all three at the same time, they did them in 2 different surgeries. I am fuseed C4-,5-6-7. It isn't bad, my bones all fused fine, I am in my late 40's. I didn't lose much range of motion-looking left and right I can turn about 95% of the way. Up and down are a little tighter so I did lose a little there, but it didn't impact anything.

When they do 3 at the same time there is a risk of fusion taking very long or not fusing well. THe collar will help you along and you shouldn't be in a hurry to get our of it if they do 3 (my opinion). I ended up wearing collar both surgeries for about 10-11 weeks.

The surgery isn't that bad, you will have a couple bad weeks and will feel better each day. Going in you should know that you could go from 100% pain improvement to having some residual pain left even after you are healed. Most people even when left with pain, are greatly relieved and can manage better.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:17 AM   #7
    jodi41262
    (female)

jodi41262 HB User

Thank you so much for all your help ,I will let you know how I am doing after surgery.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
    jodi41262
    (female)

jodi41262 HB User

Just wanted to let everyone know I had my acdf done on november 8th and I am doing ok they fused 3 levels . I am in some pain but not so much that I can't handle it. I am in neckbrace until at least dec 5th when i go back for checkup. Having alot of problems with eating ,drinking ,taking meds I feel as if i am choking all the time.THe nurse says this is normal and will go away in time I sure hope it does I take lortab and flexeral for pain .thank you for your help before the surgery.

Closed Thread