It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ESI - What To Expect?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
    BobM
    (male)

BobM HB User
    ESI - What To Expect?

I'm looking for info on what to expect next week when I go in for an ESI in my lower back (having trouble with L4, L5, and S1). I have read a lot of posts about what does (or does not) happen afterwards concerning pain relief, but not so much on what the actual procedure is like. I really don't like needles, especially when I think about them inserted between my vertebrae, and so close to the spinal cord, so I am experiencing some increased anxiety now.

Is it typical to have anything administered first, like some kind of sedation, or do they just go straight to work with the ESI?

And what is it like, immediatley afterwards? I have been advised to have some along to drive home, since my legs might not be responding as normal for awhile so I can't drive myself.

Just looking for anyone who can share their experiences for ESIs?

Thanks!
    Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: ESI - What To Expect?

HI most of us here are cervical patients. THe lower back patients hang out on the back board. THe ESI procedures are the same.

Yes your doc may offer a light sedative, some don't- I have had ESI with and without, it really makes it more tolerable with. You will be wide awake but relaxed with it.

The procedure takes about 15-30 mins depending on how fast your doc is. You will get there, change, be taken back to the room. IV started if they will give you the sedative. probably face down, but you could be sitting up, depending on your doc. they use xray guidance. they sterilize and then do a local where the injection is (this can be painful for a few seconds). they ask you to lay very still, then they start the procedure, when they go in the with medicine and start injecting, you will probably feel some stinging, tingling or other sensation that are not pleasant, but they don't last more than a few seconds. after they will watch you for 15-30 mins to make sure you don't have a reaction. Once the local wears off in a few hours, the pain will return. It takes the steroids about a week to start working.

You can't drive after. You might have increase in pain after for that day or even headache from the steroids and meds. it helps to follow instructions and take it easy.

These injections are done many many thousands of times a day across the world, they are very common and pretty safe. They are usually done by anethesiologists or pain management drs. Especially if your dr. is using fluroscope xray guidance very safe. They will make you sign all the warnings though because they want you to be informed.

Epidurals have been around for many years, and also used for pregnant women during delivery, surgeries, and other types of procedures.

They can be very effective for lower back problems, so it is worth trying.

Good luck.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Hey Bob!! How are ya????
    I had an ESI in my neck and I had the sedation. Go for the sedation. Why suffer when you don't have to?
    Sue

Old 10-16-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
    BobM
    (male)

BobM HB User

Hi neckpatient
    Thanks for the reply - I am also a cervical case (two ACDFs, fused C4/5/6/7), and have been having these lumbar problems the last couple of years. I will check out the 'back' board - I posted here first because I'm more familiar with the folks here. I appreciate knowing your experience, and you make some good points about this being a 'common' procedure - they are going to do mine in the OR so they can use the imaging equipment there and make sure they have the needle where it's supposed to be.

SKZ
    It's good to hear from you, how are you doing? I'm kind of with you about going with the sedation - I admit to having a 'thing' about needles! Since this is a first time experience, I'm not sure what to expect, and whether this Dr will go along with using a sedative or not, but I'll for sure bring it up with him!

Bob

Old 10-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Go for the sedation - I just had a cervical ESI last week and have another scheduled for 10/31 and then one for 11/14.

Coincidentally I'm having huge lumbar problems and am not sure what's next for that !

Old 10-17-2007, 03:25 AM   #6
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hi Bob!!

Most ESI's are done in a hospital type setting although the one I had was in the guys office.

They use a Fluroscope so that they can guide the needle specifically into the right area. This allows them to see exact;y what is going on.

Unfortunatley, the one I had was done by a PM doc that I never went back to. He did it in a place that was different then on the order from Neuro with out telling me untill after. He did not give me any sedtion meds or anything and he was a jerk.
    I had a lot of pain after and I did not really see any relief at all so I can not say any more other than I do know they use these things in a diagnostic fashion as well as pain control.
    This was just my experience with that doc.

My new PM who is actually my old PM does it in a hospital setting and gives the sedation meds so for sure take those.
    When I recieved that one ESI I did experience some numness and loss of mobility in my left arm but that went away very quickly. Mine was at the T 1 level but should have 3-4 C4-5.

I think you will be fine and you some people get temporary relief from them so keep a positve outlook and go home and rest afterward. Even if oyu do not get alot of relief from it they may have a better understanding of what is foinf on in there.
    Let us know how it goes!!!

Chrissy

Last edited by skych; 10-17-2007 at 03:27 AM.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:12 AM   #7
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Hi Bob,
    My neck is doing decently at the moment due to the fact that I am on high doses of steroids for my a massive sinus infection right now. Have to get a CT Scan for that this week. So I guess there is a positive side during this sinus infection.
    Every pain procedure I have done is thru an outpatient surgical center with IV sedation. They have all been a piece of cake. I cant imagine why a Dr. would be opposed to that. But my Drs. were always pain management ones that did it. (aka anesthesiolgists)

Closed Thread