It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• plugged ears

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
    patti23
    (female)

patti23 HB User
    plugged ears

hi everyone.
    Maybe someone can shed some light for me. A year ago I began to loose my hearing. My ears are constantly plugged like from a bad cold. I began to have headaches on a daily basis. I went to an ent who did the whole prednisone thing, saw my pcp etc. etc. etc. About 10 weeks ago I began to have muscle spasms in my back, went back to pcp and was given flexeril. No improvement, so I took it upon myself to see a chiro. He's been doing some adjustments and I've been feeling a little better. But then it seems I've been a little dizzy, ears still muffled and headaches still there. Because my pcp didn't show too much interest in anything going on, I was lucky my chiro could order the mri for me. He called me friday and told me I have disc herniations at C2 & C3. He said this is pretty rare. I don't see him until Wednesday to go over results. But he did say we need to continue treatment to get my eustacian tubes to open. He also said the herniations were not bad enough to need surgery. This was a great relief to me. Has anyone suffered with ear problems with a C2 & C3 herniation.

Any responses are greatly appreciated.

Patti

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User
    Re: plugged ears

Are you sure you don't have sinus problems? Plugged ears is a symptom.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
    patti23
    (female)

patti23 HB User

When I went to the ent nothing was said to me about any sinus problems.
    My chiro says I could have nerves being pressed on from the herniated discs.
    Does anyone know anything about disc herniations at C2 & C3????? I really can't find too much info on this ......... Thanks

Old 10-25-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
    Frodoh
    (male)

Frodoh HB User

It's COULD be your jaw causing your ear problems. Jaw joint dysfunction can cause ear symptoms and neck / upper back problems can cause jaw issues.

Do your ears crackle and pop? Pain? Pressure? What exactly are you feeling in your ears? You may have eustachian tube dysfunction.

The problem is that nobody will be able to give you a clear diagnosis such as "This bone, this nerve, this blood vessel, this muscle is your exact problem and this is how we fix it".

I have been dealing with this for a year. My ENT said it was probably TMJ (look it up on google and there's also a TMJ board on this site).

Old 10-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
    Frodoh
    (male)

Frodoh HB User

whoops I see that you are already active in the TMJ forums.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
    patti23
    (female)

patti23 HB User

My ears just feel full and its difficult to hear. The left is by far worse then the right. I just had an mri done. My chiro gave me the results. I have a herniated disc at c2-c3. Bulging disc at c5-c6. Bone spurs, narrowing of the spine, etc. etc. He claims he can help get my hearing back. But I've had 12 treatments already. I called my pcp who looked over my report. I was then told to see a neuro surgeon. The pain in my back is manageable. But this plugged ear thing is driving me crazy. At times it hums, but mostly it is dead silence. Dentist claims, all is well.

Patti

Old 10-26-2007, 05:27 AM   #7
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

My ears are like that too, I always feel like I have water in my right ear especially. I have terrible TMJ and Stenosis, and compression on C5-C7 which I am sure is aggrivated by my TMJ.
    I'm sure it all goes hand in hand.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #8
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

Very interesting, pattie, as I have ear problems along with degenerative disc disease in my neck area. When I started having the ear problems, I didn't know anything was wrong with my neck, except that it cracked and "squished" at times, and I had strange headaches as well. I also went to a ENT and he found a mild ear infection in the right ear, which cleared up quicklywith drops. This was two years ago, and I still have ear problems at times, like the feeling of fullness like you do. But, I also have a continuous buzzing sound, seems like it isn't in one ear or the other, but rather the entire head area. Hard to explain! When I first noticed all this, I also just started on blood pressure pills, and I thought it was the pills. Went off them for 6 months and still had the buzzing sound. So, I really am contributing my ear problems to the disc's in my neck. Not sure I am right, but it seems so to me. As Alex said, I also think it goes hand in hand....one causes the other for some reason. Hope you find an answer!

Judy

Closed Thread