It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• why did the screws come out after my sons spinal surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
    carolinanana
    (female)

carolinanana HB User
    why did the screws come out after my sons spinal surgery

why did the screws come out after my spinal surgery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: why did the screws come out after my sons spinal surgery

I'm not sure what you are asking. Did he have them surgically removed or are test results showing problems with the placement?

Old 10-28-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
    carolinanana
    (female)

carolinanana HB User

I am sorry I wasn't clear as to my question. He has had four spinal surgeries in the last two years and will have to have another soon because the screws are backing out. Dr. M. Kilburn of Greenwood, SC and Dr. Lal are his surgeons. The first time the screws were backing out they said they had only seen it once before. That time it was just one screw, now it is top two screws on front plate and were supposed to be larger screws than normal so they would not come out. He was healing after the first two surgeries, then after returning to work, a barrel fell about ten feet hitting him on top of his head. About a month after the surgery from getting hurt, he had to have the fourth surgery because one of the screws was coming out. Now, the top two screws in the front plate are backing out. I think he has around fourteen screws. He is 37 and in constant pain. Thanks for any information you have.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

My first concern would be why the bone is not holding the screws. Ideally when you put hardware into bones (spinal or other) the bone should heal around the screws and hold them in. One idea might be for him to get a bone density scan (or something similar) to see if his bones are lacking in density and if that could cause healing problems. I'd also get a second opinion with other surgeons to analyze what may be going on.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:16 AM   #5
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

what are the previous surgeries to the spine and located where? did they also say your son has failed fusion?

I found data from a study by By Kai-Uwe Lewandrowski that said the pullout of screws had the most correlation with bone mineral density. ALso load on the screws.

Closed Thread