It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Having a transforaminal ESI tomorrow morning!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
    Having a transforaminal ESI tomorrow morning!

Hello Everyone,

I will be having a Transforaminal Epidural Steroid Injection tomorrw!

This is what my neuro wants me to try before he will do the foraminotomy surgery. I hope that is helps the inflamation so that I may be able to heal.

I have my doubts but I do hold out some hope.

The thing is I know that these injections are not really going fix my disc problems.

Ar first I did not think that my PM would do it because I thought that he had told me he would not because there is more of a risk when they give this type of an ESI. IHe actually tried to get me to do a Facet Block and I said no I would like to have what the neuro said. I think the PM is just trying to run me through all the least invasive treatments. I understabd that but lets try what the neuro wants done.

I am a bit nervous about the spinal cord risk, but have confidence in my PM doc. I will be having the sedation this time which is a good thing because the PM I went to who did the first regular ESI did not give me anything and then after he told me he did it in a different place than the Neuro had said on the prescription.

Sometimes I wonder what these docs are thinking!!!

Has anyone ever had a TRANSFORAMINAL ESI???

Please sjare your experiences with me. Is it painful while they are doing it?
    How much pain afterwad?
    The medication is put in right where the nerve root is conected to the spinal cord does this reak your nerve out or what? I gues I should have asked him (PM) this stuff. I will ask in the morning.

Chrissy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: Having a transforaminal ESI tomorrow morning!

Actually I found these blocks to be much more comfortable during procedure than the interlaminar ESI. You will be face up. I think the risks are the same when performed using fluroscope guidance. These are commonly referred to as Nerve Root Blocks. All the other stuff is same. You might have headache after, you might have increased pressure and pain for a couple days. They inject die first around the nerve root so they can see it well. It only takes a few mins for the injection portion of the procedure. Most of the time is spent getting you ready. A few seconds of pain until the lidocaine kicks in. You won't really be sedated, it will take the edge off. My sister in law calls it a "i don't give a sh** shot"

Old 11-10-2007, 05:31 AM   #3
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Thanks for you reply,

I had it done yesterday morning and I was pretty tired for the rest of the day. I did have that really bad headache but I do not feel it this morning. I thought I heard my doc say he did not use any lidocane or anything. Only the numbing of the neck area where they went in with the spray stuff.

It was pretty uncomfortable and afterwards I had a serious increase in pain but they gave me something fro that while I was there.

This morning I feel pretty good but I really have not gotten up and moved around much so I can't say much yet except that I may have slightly less pain. The doc said it will take about 48 hours for the pain to get better because the steroids don't start to work right away.

Anyway now we wait>

Chrissy

Old 11-14-2007, 04:46 AM   #4
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Chrissy, how are you feeling? I hope you have some relief from the injection. Have been keeping you in my thoughts & hope finally something has given you some relief. Sammy

Closed Thread