It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Nerve Block in the side of my neck

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
    barmc5
    (female)

barmc5 HB User
    Nerve Block in the side of my neck

Hi - just wondered if anyone has had a nerve block in the side of the neck. I am having one on Monday morning and am a bit nervous about it. I've had a few in my low back and also had an epidural in my back and neck but i've never had anything in the side of my beck before. Any info on this would help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
    poopoopadoop
    (female)

poopoopadoop HB User
    Re: Nerve Block in the side of my neck

Hi,
    I am sorry you have to have this done. I don't have any information about nerve blocks but was wondering what your diagnosis is/why you are having this done?

Thanks,
    Lisa

Old 11-10-2007, 05:49 AM   #3
    barmc5
    (female)

barmc5 HB User

Hi Lisa
    Thanks for your reply. I have to have it done this way as the last epidural only helped for a couple of weeks then the pain in my left arm and neck came back again so the consultant suggested a block in my neck on the side it is bad in the hope it would leak into the right area and last longer than the epidural?

These boards are great - I'm still hoping somone else has had this as I feel all alone at the moment.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

hi barmc5 - these injections are very common. Many of us on this board have had various forms of injections. This injection procedure will be very similar to your last one. They just go in a different place. If the first one gave you some relief you might find a little longer relief from number 2. If you are having a lot of arm pain from a nerve root compression you might get better relief after this one. Injections are usually done in series of 3 if the first one helps they usually proceed with 2 and 3 within weeks.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hi Barmc5,

I did not have a nerve block but I just had a Transforaminal Epidural Steroid Injection on Friday.

When my Doctor did the injection it was in a surgery center and I was given relaxation medication.

I was on a bed in an operating room setting and was put into a position with my head facing away from my bad side. In my case most of the trouble is on the left side so my head was facing to the right and slightly tilted up while I was laying down. Hope that makes sense. A nurse was at my head but there was a drape over my face.

There was numbing medication sprayed on my skin and the first neddles where inserted and then the actual needle that contained the steroids was inserted into that. The doctor would ask questions such as "Does this regenerate your usual pain symptoms?" Does this make your arm numb?"

I had some discomfort and a few moments of more intense pain and then it was done. I was brought back into another romm where they monitored me and gave me pain meds because after I was hurting pretty good.

The type of ESI that I had goes right through the foramin of your vertabra to target more specifically the nerve root as it comes from the spinal cord.

I have nerve compression at C 3-4 & C 4-5. They said if this does not help they may need to do it again at C 6.

I am having a lot of pain today, and a bruse has developed at the injection sites but I expected that. Right after ward I felt some relief but I can now feel all my regular pain symptoms just as intense as they were before the injections.

If you were to post a decsription of your problems and how you came about to the point that your about to recieve the block we could better support you.

As far as the actual procedure went I did not think it was to bad. Just make sure that they give the relaxation meds. I wuld never do it without that.

I will be thinking about you tomorrow and please post how it went as soon as you can. I hoped that my experience has helped you in some way.

Good luck tomorrw and don't forget to rest rest rest afterwards!
    Chrissy

Old 11-11-2007, 09:13 PM   #6
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Hi Chrissy, FYI the transforaminal ESI is also commonly called a "nerve root block" because as you said they are putting the medicine right at the nerve root instead of in the interlamina type ESI. If you had a transforaminal ESI then you had a nerve root block.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
    barmc5
    (female)

barmc5 HB User

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

I had the injections yesterday and in the end the consultant changed his mind and he had a quick feel and press of my spine, neck and shoulders and I was in so much pain with my right shoulder and behind the shoulder blade that he decided to put two injections filled with local anaesthetic in those spots first to see if it might settle things down a bit and to have the block in the side of my neck next time if its necessary.

I'm back again in six weeks for a lumber epidural so he wants me to keep a diary of how this has helped until then as he has said I can have these every six weeks if they help whereas if he puts steroid in then I can't have as many.

He knew it would irritate it so I am very uncomfortable today but not worried as it will settle soon I hope and have a big bruise from one of the injections. The only thing that I cannot get rid of is a terrible headache at the front of my head which came on when I got home from hospital yesterday. My meds are not touching it so I have been taking just ordinary paracetamol to help it but it only goes away when I lie down.

Do you think I should phone the Hospital tomorrow if the headache doesnt go away?

Old 11-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #8
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

The injections you ended up getting, were they cervical ESI type or were they trigger point injections? It would be common for a headache for a couple days after any type of ESI, some lucky people don't get them. I don't know about headache for just trigger point injections, but if they used steroid, it probably is possible for a headache reaction. What you describe reminds me of an epidural headache. If it isn't better by day 3 morning, then you should call. But rule of thumb if something is bothering you that isn't normal for you call them, that's what they are there for. Feel better.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:19 AM   #9
    sidewaysid
    (male)

sidewaysid HB User

Hi
    Just registered and found what I think is my problem right away, I woke up (now it's 12 days ago) with a terrible pain in my left temple just like a bad headache, but my neck was painful, I thought it would go away but after 5 days I went to the Doctor, he has diagnosed Arthritis and has given me medication for Arthritis and pain killers. The pain is terrible when I wake up until I get some pills working.
    To add to previous I can sort of hear my neck grinding when I turn my head.

What can anyone add to my problem.

Thanks

Closed Thread