It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Spinal Fusion L5 S1 on the 14th with fibromyalgia. What to expect.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-12-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
    notacare
    Inactive
    (female)

notacare HB User
    Spinal Fusion L5 S1 on the 14th with fibromyalgia. What to expect.

Well, I am a 53 year old woman with severe fibromyalgia which really went full blown at about 49 years old. I have suffered with back pain for 30 years. I finally had enough. Between the fibro pain, and the inability to stand or walk for more that 5 minutes, I decided to do whatever was necessary to ease some of this pain. My PCP wanted to try therapy again. I just finally said no more. Let's try to fix this. I went that route twice and it did not help with back pain. It just truly made me more fatigued than I usually am (probably due to driving back and forth along with working). Note: I no longer can work. I am on work disability due to fibro problems. The MRI finally told the true story; severe degeneration of lumbar discs with spurring. I have no disc cushion between the L5 S1 vertebrae.These we are fusing for sure. In addition, two other disc are bulged. Actually, I was told that my back was about 15 year older than I was. Over the past 6 months the pain has intensified severely. I can no longer shop and it takes me 3 days to clean the house. By that time it is messed up again. LOL. I want to be able to dance at my daughters wedding. The wedding is 11 month away. I have never had any sort of surgery, am quite healthy except for 50 or so pounds that I have gained with medications, meno, and inability to move around much. So, honestly, what can I expect? I hate pain; I am sick of pain. Does anyone out there have a success story to tell me? I have read and heard so many horror stories. As far as my surgeon, I have heard from many that he is the best. So, that is definitely a plus. The only thing that I am really afraid of is that with the severe fibro, the pain will be so intense that I just will not be able to handle it. As it is, I take both vicadin and darvocet to just take the edge off; I take them at the same time. Then, I can at least stand for 10 minutes before wrenching in pain. In addition to pain meds, I take flexerol 3 times a day (10 mg) each and lyrica for nerve pain. I need a good story. I hope that there are a couple out there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: Spinal Fusion L5 S1 on the 14th with fibromyalgia. What to expect.

You'll want to post on the back pain board as well. This board tends to cover cervical level pain whereas the back pain board does more lumbar.

I had a lumbar fusion in 1993 and did relatively well. I tend to have a lot of orthopedic problems so I don't know that I'll ever be pain free but I always make the best effort to get the right treatment - even if it's surgery.

Closed Thread