It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• MRI Results (neck/thoracic) two protrusions/on spinal cord (m)...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
    greenacres
    (female)

greenacres HB Usergreenacres HB Usergreenacres HB User
    MRI Results (neck/thoracic) two protrusions/on spinal cord (m)...

I'm BAAACK! I was posting here a couple of years ago. I went to my Dr. for burning feet and a host of other symptoms. He thought maybe MS - so eh sent me for brain and cervical MRI and Thoracic Spine without Contrast. No lesions thus far, I guess which is good. But what do you think about these MRI results. I have SEVERE pain on the left side of my neck and my mid-back is in bad shape pain wise. My left arm also hurts. I have neuro appt. on 12/5.

T1, T2 and T2 fat saturation sagittal sequences, and T1 and T2 weighted axial images were obtained.

The vertebrae are normally aligned. The stature of the vertebral bodies is maintained. Disk spaces appear to be preserved. The spinal cord is of normal signal and morphology.

At T7-8 there is is a small right paramedian protrusion of the nucleus polposus which effaces the ventral aspect of the thecal sac and appears to touch the cord. There is no foraminal stenosis seen.

Impression: Small right paramedian protrusion of the nucleus pulposus at T7-8. This small protrusion appears to touch the ventral aspect of the spinal cord, but there is no evidence of spinal or foraminal stenosis. The spinal cord is unremarkable in appearance and signal.

MRI Cervical Spine without Contrast.

The vertebrae are normally aligned. Stature of the vertebral bodies is maintained. Spinal cord is of normal morphology with exception of ventral impression on the cord in the left paramedian location at C6-7 secondary to moderate protrusion of the nucleus pulposus.

There is no evidence of tonsillar herniation, and the foramen magnum is normal in appearance.

There is mild/moderate broad-based bulging in the disk/endplate complex at C5-6, but this finding does not cause impression on the spinal cord, there is no spinal or foraminal stenosis at this level.

Impression: Significant protrusion of the nucleus pulposus at C6-7, finding is positioned in the left paramedian location and causes mild ventral impression on the spinal cord. It is also possible that this finding may impinge the traversing left C8 root. Otherwise unremarkable MRI of the cervical spine.

So, that's that. I'm assuming because they DID NOT NEED to use contrast, no lesions were found without it. Now that I know my spine is even more of a mess than 2 years ago, I can go from here with the spine issues. Neuro appt. is 12/5, so I'll see what he says about the "punctate areas of high signal intensity in the centrum semiovale" from my brain MRI and if he says that's normal too, I guess I don't have MS, so that's good news. On the other hand, I am left sitting here agian wondering why I have burning/hot/tingling feet all the time and all my other symptoms. I can't wait until 12/5. Funny thing is after all of this, my lumbar spine is feeling pretty darn good, considering! LOL!Thanks for listening

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
    chatterboxsd
    Veteran
    (female)

chatterboxsd HB User
    Re: MRI Results (neck/thoracic) two protrusions/on spinal cord (m)...

Sounds like you're up for some kind of treatment. What have you tried so far?
    - Margaret

Old 11-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
    greenacres
    (female)

greenacres HB Usergreenacres HB Usergreenacres HB User

Well, I've tried EVERYTHING when I had lumbar problems (well, still do have problems, but nothing I can't live with). As for the neck, in the past I have tried PT, that's it and medication. No injections as of yet, so I would imagine that's what will be next. I am so tired and freaked about anymore needles going into my body, I don' tknow if I can stand it unless I am completely OUT when they do it. I've had SO MANY into my lower back and SI Joints, I am going to need some heavy valium if they are going into the neck first. Yikes Thaks for your reply. I don' t WANT surgery, but man, I have been dealing with this neck problem for 26 years and now it's gotten very bad over the last 3 months, I think it's time we do "something about it". I hope my neuro agrees and i Hope he does send me for EMG testing regardless to see how my nerves are shot and go from there.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
    chatterboxsd
    Veteran
    (female)

chatterboxsd HB User

I hear you on not loving the injections! I think the good news is the the general outcome for cervical is better than lumbar. It just bears less weight, so it can get better easier and more quickly. I have 2 cervical discs that flare up and I've been managing it with meds and actually... acupuncture! Acu did NOTHING for my thoracic problems, but I must say, my neck (therefore, headaches, jaw, shoulder and arm) really does feel better after a couple treatments. Oh, yeah, I'm sure the Topamax is helping, too! I went through a bunch of meds before finding that one that worked. Try to treat cervical/thoracic issues this as a separate affair from your lumbar, if you can. It may help you from feeling defeated from the beginning.

Water therapy may also be worth a try, too?

Be good to yourself. Let us know how things come out at your appointment.
    - Margaret

Closed Thread