It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Where can I find Cervical Nerve Root Distribution Info. (m)..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-20-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
    greenacres
    (female)

greenacres HB Usergreenacres HB Usergreenacres HB User
    Where can I find Cervical Nerve Root Distribution Info. (m)..

I am trying to find a chart or map or explanation of the symptoms one would experience from a nerve root impingement on C8 specifically. Also, I would like to know symptoms one would have of bulges/herniations anywhere in the cervical spine. I need to know if can distinguish if a lot of my symptoms are coming from my spine problems or another health related problem like possible MS in which I am in diagnosis phase for. So does anyone know where I can find this information? I also have two discs that are touching the spinal cord - symptoms???

Thanks a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: Where can I find Cervical Nerve Root Distribution Info. (m)..

Hi there, this is referred to as Myotome and Dermatome Map or chart. Personally I have had problems in those lower levels. Sometimes it is tricky depending on the compression, but if you have true nerve root compression and not spinal cord compression your distribution might follow it exactly. For C8 you could expect pain on the outside of your mid to lower forearm - wrist, into your little finger and ring finger. I don't think C8 impingement produces any reflex problems.

What are your symptoms?

This is a generalization, remember there are many different problems that can happen in cervical spine, focusing on nerve root compression type problems at the upper levels above C4 would involve more headaches than the lower levels. In general, it seems we all experience some levels of neck, shoulder blade shoulder, tricep, bicep, elbow, forearm, wrist and hand/finger pains (burning is probably most common, tingling or some describe "buzzing", spasms, stabbing pains, and ache as well. Chest pain like angina for some people, including banding like is felt with MS and some with armpit too. Sometimes one sided, sometimes both depending on problem. Most of the herniations produce the same type of symptoms, but it can travel outside of the dermatome map if you have spinal cord involvement.

Last edited by PNo; 11-20-2007 at 04:17 PM.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:58 AM   #3
    greenacres
    (female)

Hi there, THANKYOU so much for the info. Well, here are the symptoms I am having in relation only to my neck issues. My neck is extremely sore and tight. My forward and backward flexion is very limited. No headaches. I do have pain down the left arm, but not into wrist or fingers. My neck is so sore I can hardly lift off pillow sometimes. It cracks and crinks a lot when I move it around, it's very tight as well. I have pain and stiffness between my shoulder blades also. Now for my "other" symptoms that may or may not be in relation to my neck or possible MS:

twitching eyelids.
    mixing up words, coming out backwards, picking out wrong words, saying "I have to get something in the chicken" instead of KITCHEN, things like that.
    muscle spasms/twitching all over my body.
    Spasticity (diagnosed by chiro) and myofascial trigger points all over my body, very tight muscles in hips, legs, back, etc.
    Urinary incontinence (not stress, it just leaks out on its own), but this is a WHOLE 'nother story.
    Seeing waves in my vision.
    Small bouts of vertigo, but honestly it's usually when I turn to look at something.
    BURNING FEET - this has been an ongoing problem for about 3 months. I would GUESS it's coming from my lumbar spine, but chiro says based on his annual exam, it wouldn't make sense, you have no sciatica right now and it's BOTH feet, not one.
    Tingling/falling asleep hands.
    I have been having a harder time swallowing vitamins/pills. My throat just feels tighter lately and I have a lot "drainage", feels like constant sinus problems.
    My ears are way more sensitive, loud sounds are very uncomfortable.
    Tripping more often.
    Pain in eyes sometimes, VERY DRY eyes.
    ANd of course, fatigued very much so.
    I am going to ask my neuro to be tested again for LUPUS since I do have a lot of the signs. I also already have autoimmune disorder of Vitiligo.

NEGATIVE TESTING:
    Brain MRI Essentially Normal
    Ankylosing Spondylitis
    Carpal Tunnel
    Cholesterol
    Rheumatoid Arthritis
    Lupus
    Thyroid
    Low Blood Pressure
    Diabetes
    HIV/AIDS (Insurance Co. required testing)
    Disorder of the ear - (by Chiro) on 10/11/07
    ESR Sedimentation Rate Normal in 2004.

POSITIVE TESTING:
    Vitiligo Autoimmune Disease (adolescence)
    Degenerative Disk Disease 10/04 (Osteoarthritis)

Old 11-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

ditto on what neck p just stated on the dermatomes.i am assuming since you know you have c 8 compromise that you have actually had an MRI? what does the MRI state as you most significant issues?i have the most extensive damage to my spinal cord and that c 8 nerve in my spine.the c 8 is kind of a junction area for some nerve crossover so believe me,you can have facial involvement from something being wrong at this level.do you have ANY level of actual cord compromise at all here?if you could give more specific info about the area and the full extent of involvement here it would really help me to give you the best possible advice.marcia

Old 11-21-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
    greenacres
    (female)

Here is the full report of cervical and thoracic.

MRI Thoracic Spine without Contrast.

T1, T2 and T2 fat saturation sagittal sequences, and T1 and T2 weighted axial images were obtained.

The vertebrae are normally aligned. The stature of the vertebral bodies is maintained. Disk spaces appear to be preserved. The spinal cord is of normal signal and morphology.

At T7-8 there is is a small right paramedian protrusion of the nucleus polposus which effaces the ventral aspect of the thecal sac and appears to touch the cord. There is no foraminal stenosis seen.

Impression: Small right paramedian protrusion of the nucleus pulposus at T7-8. This small protrusion appears to touch the ventral aspect of the spinal cord, but there is no evidence of spinal or foraminal stenosis. The spinal cord is unremarkable in appearance and signal.

MRI Cervical Spine without Contrast.

The vertebrae are normally aligned. Stature of the vertebral bodies is maintained. Spinal cord is of normal morphology with exception of ventral impression on the cord in the left paramedian location at C6-7 secondary to moderate protrusion of the nucleus pulposus.

There is no evidence of tonsillar herniation, and the foramen magnum is normal in appearance.

There is mild/moderate broad-based bulging in the disk/endplate complex at C5-6, but this finding does not cause impression on the spinal cord, there is no spinal or foraminal stenosis at this level.

Impression: Significant protrusion of the nucleus pulposus at C6-7, finding is positioned in the left paramedian location and causes mild ventral impression on the spinal cord. It is also possible that this finding may impinge the traversing left C8 root. Otherwise unremarkable MRI of the cervical spine.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Based on your symptoms and the location of the cord issue you could very well also be dealing with some level of sympathetic nervous system involvement.my SNS was damaged during my spinal cord surgery and it was done on the left lateral aspect of my cord.the SNS chain actually runs along the outside of both sides of the spinal column on down to the lumbar area.it does also kind of 'jut out' of the cord itself to that chain kind of right where your issue is with the cord.there could possibly be enough compression on it to affect it in some way given your facial/head symptoms.one big sign i had after my surgery that confirmed my SNS damage was a 'horners' syndrome that developed within my L eye about 15 days post op.one of my pupils(the left) is always constricted now and my eyelid on that side,the bottom lid?is drooping.you do have certain cranial nerves that start within the head and go down thru that c spine area and right around that c 8 nerve level,they kind of loop back up into the head again.so any affectation at the c 7 thru t 1 level "could' possibly effect areas of your head or face as well.this is how my facial paresthesias and other wierd neuro face/head stuff came to be.

now with that T spine cord issue,it would appear that this IS a direct affectation of your cord there so this could be the reason for the lower body symptoms.considering that your cord is involved here it is entirely conceivable that you could have some bilateral involvement going on with the feet.cord affectation just isn't the same as having the one basic area affectation of a nerve root.that would follow the dermatome area and not realistically go beyond there if it is indeed JUST the actual nerve affected.once the cord becomes involved,everything can change,and depending on what is being compromised within that cord and the tracts and nerve fibers,it can be really a trip seeing how much body system function and mobility can be truely affected by that.i am just stunned at times how extensive my damage was when compared to what i am feeling since my surgery casued the damage.it keeps morphing and changeing and kind of recreating itself in many different places all from the c 8 area cord damage.just insane sometimes ya know?what actually becomes affected just basically depends on the extent of involvement and where it is to the cord.

i would highly suggest doing some research into the spinal tracts?i was not really aware of these til i had three of them damaged from my cord surgery.interesting stuff there.the tracts kind of all have their own seperate purposes,defining your symptoms and knowing where your areas of most prominant compromise are at the cord level,well you can kind of read thru what each tracts purpose is and see how these areas are being affected and what your individulal symptoms are.the tracts when you have cord compromise are just something you do need to know about.it sure did help me to explain all the strange and downright freaky symptoms i started having post op.the more knowledge you have about your specific types of damage or affectation and what that could mean to you just makes you a much better informed patient.it also helps when you need to ask your NS any questions about your condition or any possible surgical interventions.i really wish i had known what lay ahead for me before my surgery was done,at least the crap that happened wouldn;t have scared me so much.just educate yourself as you are doing now.
    i do wish you luck with this.please keep us posted on how things are going,K?any more questions,just ask.marcia

Closed Thread