It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• antibiotics for dental work or surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
    CTmom
    (female)

CTmom HB User
    antibiotics for dental work or surgery?

Hi!

I am several years out from ACDF and my neck is doing great. This board was such a help before and right after my surgery.

I was at the dentist today and he questioned my need to take antibiotics before dental work. I had been told by my surgeon (now retired) that this was needed because of the titanium plate used during surgery. My dentist seemed to think the guidelines have changed and that it was only for the first two years after surgery, if at all.

Has anyone who had surgery recently been told anything similar? Do they advise antibiotics before dental work anymore? (I can't just call my surgeon and ask and haven't been able to find anything on the internet for this specific question.) Thanks for the information!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: antibiotics for dental work or surgery?

I have had multiple surgeries and have titanium plates and donor bones. I went to dentist once at 6 months out and they wouldn't work on me without contacting my surgeon. It turned out I did not have to have antibiotics per the surgeon.

If your dentist feels strongly she can write a script. It is only a small dose they give you not a ten day dosing. If you are prone to bad plaque and gingevitis(sp) you can always ask dentist to give you this for general protection and not just because of your neck. My niece is a dental assistant and told me this little tidbit.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i too have a titainium plate and screws at my c 6-7 and the added bonus of platnum coils within an aneurysm in my brain and have never been told i actually needed to be on propholactic anti bs before anything was done in my mouth.even right after my hardware placement was done back in,02?nothing was said to me.i do know that my dad had to do this but he has had both knees replaced too.kind of a bigger deal i think.if your dentist wants you to do this,well i guess it wouldn't hurt,ya know?that good old 'better safe than sorry' thing?hope all goes well for you.Marcia

Old 11-25-2007, 07:46 AM   #4
    sandim
    Inactive
    (female)

sandim HB User

I am at almost two years since my first fusion surgery, with instrumentation and 3 months since my revision and I have to take pre meds ( antibiotics) before any kind of dental work, otherwise, my dentist and surgeon's will not allow me to have anything done.
    I think that it varies with the doctor, but there is a lot of bacteria in the mouth, and their feelings are that if you are going to get an infection, it will be from the most vulnerable areas in your body, hence the pre- meds.
    Sandi M

Closed Thread