It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Has anyone had Artifical Disc implanted in Cervical Spine ??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
    Braveheart07
    (male)

Braveheart07 HB User
    Has anyone had Artifical Disc implanted in Cervical Spine ??

I was wondering if anyone had experience with an artifical disc in their c-spine ?? Iwas diagnised with Cervical Myelopathy, with compression at the c5/6 level a few weeks ago, and have been interviewing Neurosurgeons for possible surgery...so far 4 surgeons, and 4 different preferences....This board is fantastic, and I've read many posts, but haven't seen any on atrifical disc's. I understand it's still technically listed as "experimental", but about to be approved. It sounded better than the traditional titaniam plate and screws. Thanks in advance for any responses....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
    Jimmy B
    (male)

Jimmy B HB User
    Re: Has anyone had Artifical Disc implanted in Cervical Spine ??

I too would like to hear from anyone out there who has had recent artificial disk replacement. I have been puting off ACDF surgery for over a year in hopes that artificial disks become more prevelant. To me, fusion of vertabrae sounds too permanent and I do worry about adjacent segment degenoration.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
    Mary.T
    (female)

Mary.T HB User

Hello ,
    I had a 2 level cervical disc replacement done with the ADR method, here in London in July 2005. I have just had my 2 year sign off. I had levels C5/6 and C6/7 done. My discs were the PCM made by Cervitech, which I believe is an American company (PCM stands for Porous coated motion). I have a very good range of movement in my neck and have been having regular 6 month x-rays, to check the positioning is still ok. I occasionally still get headaches, if I overdo things, like lifting etc, but no pain in the arms hands etc. I did suffer for a while post surgery with swallowing problems, but for other people, this is usually only short lasting. Overall I am pleased with the outcome. Goog luck.

Mary

Last edited by moderator2; 12-02-2007 at 04:21 PM. Reason: disallowed website

Old 12-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
    Braveheart07
    (male)

Braveheart07 HB User

Mary T-

Thanks for responding.....Glad to hear you're doing so well !! ---- I believe that only one level ADR is allowed (by the FDA)(?)here in the US....Insurance co.'s won't cover it......one day we will catch up with the rest of the world !!
    Hope you have continued success with your disc's..........................Doug

Old 12-04-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
    Tulip15
    (female)

Tulip15 HB User

hittman is right only one level is being done here in the states, there are several hospitals that are doing them right now but the criteria for one to be able to have it is high, research the net on this. I was at one point given the option of going to Germany for my last fusion but chose not to for several reasons, other countries have been doing this for years and on more then one level. Our country seems to be behind the times with this unfortunately.
    Now somtimes I wish I would have gone this route, but I can't take back what I can't replace.
    Tulip15

Old 12-05-2007, 08:00 AM   #6
    Rolex
    (female)

Rolex HB User

I had my atrificial disc implanted here in Reno, Nev in March 04 - level C5-6. My neurosurgeon was one involved in the study. I have the Bryan Disc by Medtronics. I went back to work in 18 days - still had some muscle spasms in my shoulder blade - but pain in arm and hands went away. I did fine until I was rear ended in 05. My neck is fine but now have torn disc and lot of pain in lumbar and torn rotator cuff tendon. I saw my spine Dr. yesterday and we are considering microdiscectomy L4-5.

My Dr. runs Spine Nevada and is one of only about 5 Doctors in the world with
    three spine fellowships. He is one of the best. Dr.Lynch - Spine Nevada.
    So to answer your question,my Artificial Disc held up in a rear end crash, but my Lumbar disc did not.
    Hope this helps
    Rolex

Closed Thread