It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• browns-sequard syndrome

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
    423RDH
    (female)

423RDH HB User
    Question browns-sequard syndrome

i was just diagnosed with this last week and am scheduled for ACDF on dec 3rd. i have c5-c6 herniation with bulging at c4. i have numbness and tingling down right arm and hands just recently and have had numbness and tingling from waist down to toes on left side. i still have so many ??? i can't believe i have the actual surgery in 1 week. i am thinking of prolonging surgery but am in pain and so tired of these symptoms. the dr (ortheopedic surgeon said that browns-sequard is using associated with gunshot victims----i have had no trauma whatsoever. i am confused as you can probably tell. any answers out there???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: browns-sequard syndrome

unfortunetly i don't have alot of time right now but just wanted to let you know that i too have BS.what causes brown is actually damage to the spinothalamic tract of the actual spinal cord.how severe is your herniation?does it compromise your cord in any way shape or form?if it doesn't,i am kind of wondering just how your doc came up with this as an actual Dx?just what does your MRI report state about your biggest injury areas?you have two areas within the cord where there are the thalamic tracts.one is left lateral and the other is more anterior,like atthe very front of the actual cord.if these areas get damaged or compromised in some way,then its possible for not only BS to develop,but a few other strange little syndromes.

the basic 'signs/symptoms of brown sequard,and in most cases it is actually only partial BS,not full blown.i guess it is very rare for someone to actually have a full blown brown develop.so most of us who have it have the partial.but the biggest things are an inability to tell hot or cold or feel surface pain?while i still retain full sensation inmy BS affected area i just simply cannot tell what is hot or cold anymore,theyboth feel kind of room temp ir neutral to me.i can also stick a needle like into my stomach area on the affected side and cannot feel the actual pain,tho i CAN feel the sensation of the poke,but absolutely no actual pain.

with BS the area where the cord is affected on down,but only on one side is where the symptoms are.it runs EXACTLY down the middle.one side is 'good' the other is 'bad".but it always starts right below the level of damage and only one side.if your symptoms don;t fit this criteria,it may not actually be BS.

what you have actually described symptoms wise,honestly?does not actually sound like real BS syndrome.everything on the BS side 'should' feel pretty much normal except when hot or cold is applied or a painful stimuli does not produce pain.but you should have pretty much full actual sensation.i know that sounds really confusing but everything "should" actually "feel' okay.not at all what you are actually describing here.simply put,if you do not actually have any level of real cord compromise,it would be pretty much impossible for you to have aquired brown sequard.really.

try looking up info on brown sequard syndrome,there is alot out there on this,trust me.and read thru what it actually is and how it gets created then compare that info to what it is you are actually experiencing as far as symptoms.i have had BS ever since it showed itself after my spinal cord surgery four years ago.i didn't even realize i had any issue there since that side actually still felt totally normal to me.i found out while i was having a sponge bath in my bed in rehab and the nurse placed an arctically cold washcloth on my L leg,and it was freezing.when she went to touch the right leg,inner thigh area? i braced for what i knew was going to be a freezing cold washcloth.what i got tho was lukewarm only.i then placed it back on my left leg and yep.it was freezing,went back to the right,nothing.just freaked the hell outta me.but this is how i actually found out that something wasn't right anymore on my R side.everything had "felt" normal there up til then.

my level of SCI is right at the c 8 nerve level.from just below my right breast on down only on the right side,that is where my symptoms are.what you have explained here really just does not sound at all like true BS.you should have one side with the temp and loss of surface pain issues and the other leg should be weak and more spastic too.do you have that?BS usually presents itself AFTER some sort of a trauma to the cord,that is why it gets seen with gunshot victims who happen to get hit inthe spinothalamic tract within their cords.this is the ONLY way you could have this,cord damage to that specific tract.

if you could just list what your biggest problem areas are from the summary at the end of your MRI report it would really help alot in helping you.i seriously think you need a second opinion form a good knowledgable neurosurgeon for the c spine issues,and not just this ortho.he really doesn't sound like he knows a whole lot to me.just my opinion of course.but i do think he is way off base with this particular Dx.it just doesn't seem to 'fit' with your particular symptoms.your symptoms and mine,just really do not appear to be the same.and i KNOW with 100% certainty that what i have is partial brown sequard syndrome.my symptoms do fit the criteria.do that research on BS and tell me what you think,K?a second opinion in this case really IS needed.marcia

Closed Thread