It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Radiofrequency Ablation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #1
    Early60
    (female)

Early60 HB User
    Radiofrequency Ablation

I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis and arthritis several months ago. Have undergone a number of epidural injections and facet joint injections which seemed to help a lot but did not last long, The doctor has recommended RFA in the facet joint which I will be going through in a little over 2 weeks. I am curious if anyone here has done this and could tell me what the procedure was like, side affects, etc. I have researched it but want to get input from someone who has been through it. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: Radiofrequency Ablation

I'd also be interested to see what people say. I've considered that as a possible option myself but don't know anyone who has done it for cervical nerve pain.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
    Early60
    (female)

Early60 HB User

I have mine on December 13. Mine is lower back. I'll post here after I have it done to let everyone know what I go through. The research I have done has reported anywhere from a lot of pain for several weeks to hardly any pain at all, so really don't know what to expect.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
    nutti883
    (female)

nutti883 HB User

I had one done on January 2007. I had wonderful results. The doctor told me it would last anywhere from 6 to 18 months. It lasted almost 11 months. That doesn't seem like a long time for some people, but when you are in as much pain as many of the people on here are, even 1 hr without pain is wonderful. I am scheduled to have another RF Ablation this Friday the 30th of November. The procedure is pretty simple. It is almost like getting pain injections in the affected area. I was admitted in to same day surgery where they hooked up an IV and then taken to the Pain Management Center. They gave me some medicine through the IV to make make me relax a little. It did not feel great when they did the ablation part, but I was willing to go through a bit of pain in the hopes that something would finally work to take away or lessen my pain. I had a cervical fusion at C5-6/C6-7 in December of 2003 and had pain ever since. It was not the same pain as before I had the surgery. It was different but severe pain none the less. Hope yours goes well. Nutti

Last edited by nutti883; 11-27-2007 at 01:22 PM.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
    chatterboxsd
    Veteran
    (female)

chatterboxsd HB User

I had RFA for thoracic, so take for what it's worth. My experience was similar to the previous post. The post-pain was much less than a steroid injection, though I've heard others say the opposite. I felt just a little achy for a day or two after like a bruise, where with steroids I was really, really sore. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pain relief, but it was worth trying. Good luck. I think it's worth trying as it's not too invasive or risky as compared with even injections.
    - Margaret

Old 11-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

I had it done in April of 2006. (cervical). I didnt feel anything. They did that conscious sedation, but I have no memory of anything. It took me about 5 weeks before I felt better, though. It kind of felt like a burning sunburn type feeling in the back of my neck. It did help me alot, but I had alot of arthritis AND disc degeneration...so about 9 months later I had an ACDF C5-C7. Its hard to pinpoint what got helped from the RF because i had so much screwed up in there. I definitely was glad I did it and I am also glad I did the fusion, too.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:17 AM   #7
    jmr1121
    (female)

jmr1121 HB User

I had the radiofrequency ablation mid November. The procedure itself was not bad. Its been almost five weeks and still havent felt much relief - so still waiting and hopeing. I had it done at level C5/6 and 7

Old 12-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
    Michael8466
    Veteran
    (male)

Michael8466 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Early60 View Post
    I have mine on December 13. Mine is lower back. I'll post here after I have it done to let everyone know what I go through. The research I have done has reported anywhere from a lot of pain for several weeks to hardly any pain at all, so really don't know what to expect.
    I have the same feeling. I can be fine and then it's like something touches something and the pain is back. I'm just tired of taking meds.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
    Tulip15
    (female)

Tulip15 HB User

I had this done but only to my lower lumbar area, never to my neck on my neck I've only had epidural injections and they never do anything for me, as for the RFA it was the worst thing I've ever gone through and didn't help me at all actually I've gotten worse with it, I guess I was one of the unlucky ones.
    Tulip15

Old 12-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #10
    jmr1121
    (female)

jmr1121 HB User

I am happy to say that I think my radiofrequency neuroablation (rhizotomy) has been successful. I was really worried since it had been a month with no relief. But after the fifth week I started feeling relief. I am hoping that it is the rhizotomy taking effect (sometimes I would get a good day here and there before the rhizotomy - although very few) . I would say I feel about l00 percent better. I will keep you up to date. I live in Maryland - the doctor who performed the procedure is a pain management doctor and all he does is this type of procedure and facet blocks - so hope I finally after all these years have found a good doctor!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #11
    chatterboxsd
    Veteran
    (female)

chatterboxsd HB User

That is just terrific! I hope you continue to enjoy the relief from pain! Just in time for the holidays, I say.

Closed Thread