It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Update 6 weeks out after corpectomy and ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-27-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
    mllsj53
    (female)

mllsj53 HB User
    Update 6 weeks out after corpectomy and ACDF

Hello Everyone
    Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and wishing you all a great holiday season ahead.

I wanted to give an update on my Corpectormy/ACDF C-3 through T-1 using my own bone for the graft, done 10/18.

I had an Xray and doctor's appointment today. The doc says my fusions are healing exceptionally well and I can now walk around without my collar. I wore it 24 hours a day and now it's gone. YEAH!

I still have the numbness on my right hand fingers which doc says will take a long time to get better. The Palsy that developed in my left arm after my surgery is still there and getting better slowly. I have to schedule PT for that. Doc is concerned. He was hoping it would be much better by now. The limp in my right leg is still there from the graft harvesting. Doc said that it may last for another 6 weeks.

I had a rough weekend. Did a little too much with company and all. Ended up feeling much pain in my shoulders and burning pin point spots across my back. I need to remember that there are certain things I still can't do.

I'm still off work for another 6 weeks. I think it has to do with the palsy.

Anyway I will check back and keep you posted in another 6 weeks.

Happy Hollidays everyone
    mll

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2007, 04:26 AM   #2
    Escgirl
    (female)

Escgirl HB User
    Re: Update 6 weeks out after corpectomy and ACDF

Please remember to rest now - this is the only shot you are going to get (after your surgery during healing process) to rest. If you don't - you could cause more harm than good. - meaning ---- maybe MORE symptoms that would go away perm. may linger with you forever .... because you didn't rest- and HEAL ... so all those little extra things you may FEEL like doing but then after realize it wasn't a good idea - set you back - maybe not for a little while but perm....

PLEASE take this time to heal - you won't have another shot at it - just like PT after... you have a window I believe... use it. Once its closed - its closed.

I am having surgery in Dec. My recovery is 4 weeks can't lift anything more than 10lbs. this will be challenging - I have a daughter who will be turning 2 at the END of January - my recovery period is from Dec. 17th - Jan. 17th ish. Wish me luck with the advice I am giving you - I plan to print it out and put it in most rooms of my home - (the window closing phrase above)...

I was not going to put my girl in school till she was 3... but I plan to put her in before 2 for 3 hours a day so I can do PT. We have to make adjustments so we can be the best that we can be for everyone around us - including - most importantly US. we are the ones IN pain... the others just deal with us being in pain... not to diminish thier agony either but come on ---- I would rather nurse someone than be in pain... right?

So take care please remember you have a window - two fold... hee hee! One for healing then its closed - and one for PT and then its closed. BE GOOD!!!! : )
    XXOO to you and yours
    Escgirl

Closed Thread