It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cervical Stim and INCREASED pain and Other Symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
    Question Cervical Stim and INCREASED pain and Other Symptoms

Hello

I had an anterior cervical fusion on 7/17/07. I thought everything was going well immediately following. Other than spending more time than I thought due to an infection, I recovered pretty nicely once I got home.

After my first post-op appointment they were concerned that I wasn't showing the signs of bone growth they would like, so I was prescribed a Cervical Stimulator. Initially I had an OK time with it. But, I noticed if I didn't wear it with a neck brace I got really bad migraines (which I tend to get, but had been pretty controlled immediately post-op.)

I had an appointment the middle of this month (November '07) and my neck is still NOT completely stable/fused, some signs of bone growth but not what they expected, so I still have NOT been released PT. Which I hope I had I hoped I would but now I have to wait until January, 08.

Lately, when I've been wearing the cervical Stimulator I have increased neck pain and Spasms after. I wonder is that I good sign? It's doing what it's supposed to?

I just was checking to what OTHER people's experiences with a cervical stimulator. Did anyone notice issues AFTER wearing it liked migraines or increased pain.

I know most people I heard from before said they Fused within six months and January, '08 WILL be six months. So maybe that's when I will completely fused. I am just concerned that my Doctor and PA still looked concerned about the instability as of my last appointment (enough that it held up PT).

ANY thoughts are appreciated!

~ Fiona

Last edited by Fiona_Jo; 11-29-2007 at 10:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: Cervical Stim and INCREASED pain and Other Symptoms

Hi - I didn't wear a stimulator but noticed something you said. It isn't uncommon for solid fusion to take a year or longer. Many studies found approx 1/4 of fusions upon direct examination, where the xray showed a higher level of fusion, did not have good union, suggesting that xrays may not be a good metric to completely rely on. So when people were told they had fusion it might have still be an ongoing process. I don't think 6 months is the average.

Many factors affect fusion: smoking, nutrition, lifestyle, osteoporosis tendancy, and medications and other health issues like diabetes. Even if you do not smoke, if you are in a smokey environment it can do as much damage. If you are very petite/underweight you might consider putting on a little extra weight to see if it helps your body work at this better. It's like petite women w/osteoporosis - some benefit from putting on a little more weight.

Good luck with the spasms and headaches.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
    puppylover07
    (female)

puppylover07 HB User
    Post Re: Cervical Stim and INCREASED pain and Other Symptoms

Hi Fiona Jo,
    I was interested in your post because I am anticipating cervical fusion surgery soon, possibly before Christmas. I had an MRI on Wed. and the results were worse than expected,i.e., I had involvement at C6-7, C5-6, and C4-5. This includes "ragged discs"(this is the way the doctor's assistant described it), stenosis, and bony spurs on C6-7 and C5-6. She also said the doc wants more tests; myleogram/CT on 12/4. She said the surgery would involve anterior entry and fusion with a cadaver bone. My pain has worsened over the last 10 months and now the headaches and neck/shoulder pain are becoming unmanageable without pain meds.
    This is moving so quickly that I haven't really been able to process it all. My NS is the top guy in the city nearest me which has a medical school and teaching hospital,in fact, he is Head of NS, and was a pioneer of gamma-knife use in this part of the country. I am still feeling some fear about the surgery, even though I know he is the best in my area, "world-renowned", etc. It seems to be pretty high risk surgery, but, I have beaten breast cancer twice, last time I had a total mastectomy and immediate reconstruction with the DIEP flap procedure. I was given that second breast cancer diagnosis 2 weeks before my wedding! Thank goodness that my wonderful husband didn't run and didn't complain when the main focus of our honeymoon became finding the best surgeon possible (I did), as quickly as possible. Well, I am clearly rambling from the pain meds and the desire to hear from others who have had cervical fusion therapy. I have no idea what to expect. I would like to hear from you if you have been through this. Thanks.

Puppylover 07

Last edited by Administrator; 03-26-2014 at 01:16 AM.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

Puppylover

Thank you for your response. You have been through a lot, but you sound very strong and determined and that helps with healing for sure. It's also wonderful that you have such a supportive spouse. My husband has been very supportive and I feel very blessed to have him. Through all my challenges he's held steady and strong, we also have three teenagers that are very understanding.

I actually had a pretty easy time post-up. However, the surgery itself was much more involved then anticipated - it ended up being close to a six hour process and involved a bone graft from my left hip. A week before my surgery my neurologist recommended an EMG and that's when they found there was more nerve damage then originally anticipated.

Actually, coming home from this procedure was much easier then with my lumbar procedure. Much easier healing, I could move around a lot easier. I initially was instructed to wear a hard collar when I went anywhere and a soft collar inside. But, by my first POST-OP appt. I was instructed to mainly to wear the soft collar and the prescribed the cervical stimulator. So, now I mainly wear the soft collar when I feel I need it or with the cervical Stim.

I have to say I do feel my neck is stronger. The bone growth/fusing is just taking longer than I would have liked. I would have liked to be able to be in PT by now.

Please keep me posted on what you find out. What procedure you're having and please go ahead and ask ANY questions you can think of. I wish you the BEST of luck!!

~ Fiona

Old 12-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
    kelsey1
    Veteran
    (female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by puppylover07 View Post

Hi Fiona Jo,
    I was interested in your post because I am anticipating cervical fusion surgery soon, possibly before Christmas. I had an MRI on Wed. and the results were worse than expected,i.e., I had involvement at C6-7, C5-6, and C4-5. This includes "ragged discs"(this is the way the doctor's assistant described it), stenosis, and bony spurs on C6-7 and C5-6. She also said the doc wants more tests; myleogram/CT on 12/4. She said the surgery would involve anterior entry and fusion with a cadaver bone. My pain has worsened over the last 10 months and now the headaches and neck/shoulder pain are becoming unmanageable without pain meds.
    This is moving so quickly that I haven't really been able to process it all. My NS is the top guy in the city nearest me which has a medical school and teaching hospital,in fact, he is Head of NS, and was a pioneer of gamma-knife use in this part of the country. I am still feeling some fear about the surgery, even though I know he is the best in my area, "world-renowned", etc. It seems to be pretty high risk surgery, but, I have beaten breast cancer twice, last time I had a total mastectomy and immediate reconstruction with the DIEP flap procedure. I was given that second breast cancer diagnosis 2 weeks before my wedding! Thank goodness that my wonderful husband didn't run and didn't complain when the main focus of our honeymoon became finding the best surgeon possible (I did), as quickly as possible. Well, I am clearly rambling from the pain meds and the desire to hear from others who have had cervical fusion therapy. I have no idea what to expect. I would like to hear from you if you have been through this. Thanks.

Puppylover 07
    i was wondering about want you said about involment with those areas is you stensois bab do you have bulging,hern or protruing disk,because i had what you desribe 2 years ago they said i didn't need surgy yet,now it alot worst read my post ,i have seen a ns for this yet but i am angry that it was left to get this bad and are you seeing a ns? also why would you need a bone at all,i don't understand this stuff,thanks,kelsey

Closed Thread