It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Stabbing Pain with Spasm! What is it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
    purpletrail
    (female)

purpletrail HB User
    Question Stabbing Pain with Spasm! What is it?

I experienced this stabbing pain with a spasm yesterday which was unbelievable. I was blow drying my hair and turned my head. I suddenly had this sharp pain go down my neck and into the front and back of my chest wall. The pain was so intense I couldn't move and it took my breath away. It is what I would imagine a heart attack would feel like, but the pain is coming from my neck. I was gradually able to regain my breathing and after about a minute the spasm released.

What causes this type of pain? Is it a pinched nerve? Spinal cord compression? I have experienced this about 6 times in the past, mostly prior to my fusion surgery.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Holly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User
    Re: Stabbing Pain with Spasm! What is it?

It does sounds like a pinched nerve, especially if it happens when you turn your head a certain way.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
    julyg
    Veteran
    (female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

Is this a one time occurance or have you had other neck pain? My saga started with the "i know I slept on the pillow wrong" several times until I became full fledged agony nonstop spasms. About the spasm, Moist heat realllllllly helps, such as an electric heating pad with sponge insert. If it goes away and doesnt come back, great! If you have had spasms before and "tingly " feelings in fingers or hands, time to get it ck'd out.

j

Old 12-04-2007, 05:23 AM   #4
    purpletrail
    (female)

purpletrail HB User

Thanks for both of your responses. Yes, it does sound like a pinched nerve.

Unfortunately, I have already had two spine surgeries: microendoscopic discectomoy and cord decompression in 2003 and acdf of 5/6 & 6/7 in 2005. My pain was about 50% better after the fusion until August of 2007, then the pain really increased and the numbness in my arms and hands came back.

A new MRI shows more degeneration at areas above the fusion with two smaller herniations and several areas of spinal cord compression. I was surprised to see spinal cord compression at one level of fusion. My doctor said that it is coming from bone in the back of the fused level.

My doctor has been adjusting medications to try and see some pain relief. I am now on 3-4 ultram per day and 3 lyrica. He also had me try some new P.T., which gave me a massive migraine and made things much worse.

I am not willing to go through more surgery. My doctor feels that we shouldn't let the numbness progress to muscle weakness, so he is monitoring that. I'm not sure where things will go from here.
    Holly

Last edited by purpletrail; 12-04-2007 at 05:24 AM.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:02 AM   #5
    kelsey1
    Veteran
    (female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

gosh,you need some pain meds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats crazy for releif for chocic pain,good luck also could be anxiety.

Last edited by kelsey1; 12-06-2007 at 04:02 AM.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:55 AM   #6
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Purpletail,

I know that is such an awful feeling!!

I experience this all the time except that my pinching starts low in the neck and radiates down through the back of my shoulder and down my arm. It happens when I do things like dry hair or fold clothes, pull my pants up and a bunch more every day things.

On top of that pinching radiating pain I have the spasams and the constant feeling of a hot burning dagger in my back just about the base of my neck where it meets my shoulder line.

The cause...well the neurologist showed me that at 2 levels of my neck the nerve roots coming from the spine are compressed in the neural foramin.
    Likely from the bulging discs causing compression there.

It is no fun to experience these things especially the arm weakness!! Have that too.
    I certainly hope that you will find a mediction to help with the pain and that your docs will figure out the next course of action for you wellness.

Hang in there and best of luck to you...
    In Spirit....
    Chrissy

Old 12-11-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Holly, although I can't say for sure if you experiance the same as I do but I get the same thing in the neck & more often between the breast bone & upper chest as far as I know it has something to do with the muscle spasms. I have a huge problem with this & it can get god awful & yes I have been transported to ER because I thought I was having a heart attack, although I know I am not it still is very scary & painful & is happening more often. I would bring it up to the doc. god forbid it gets any worse & avoid having problems popping up to cause this type of spasms to occur. you never know best to be on the safe side. Good luck!

Last edited by sammyo1; 12-11-2007 at 05:47 PM.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #8
    purpletrail
    (female)

purpletrail HB User

Sammy,
    Thanks for your response. I guess misery loves company! I will bring this symptom up with my doctor next week.

Holly

Old 12-12-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Holly, if this is a problem that keeps reoccuring it would be wise to say something to your doctor. I suffer from what is called Cervical Dystonia which is serve muscle spasms in my neck. I have to take muscle relaxers everyday to try to prevent them. Also I can't use my right arm too much or do any kind of overhead work or it will bring them on. Also the weather brings them on and the medicine doesn't even help, I have to either sit down and rest or go to the ER and get a shot. Sometimes these spasms go down my back and also in my chest. These spasms are so bad that my head turns to the left-side and my shoulder will draw so far up it can touch my ear. There is also a condition called Torticolis which is another form of muscle spasms that is real serve as well. These are both conditions that are chronic and are very painful.

Closed Thread