It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• cyst on the spinal cord

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
    kgreenberg2000
    (female)

kgreenberg2000 HB User
    cyst on the spinal cord

what type of procedure is done for a cyst on the spinal cord?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: cyst on the spinal cord

that all depends on just what this really consists of,the area of involvement and any real risks or symptoms that are affecting you.some do not need removing if they are not causing any real problems and are much better left alone.just how does your MRI report describe this exactly?if you could post that particular description(exactly the way it is written in your report) it would help me tons to help you.any other actual issues show up in that report or just the cyst alone?marcia

Old 12-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
    warpman
    (male)

warpman HB User

Do a web search for syrinx or syringomyelia.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:45 AM   #4
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Please do not mess around with a cyst on the spinal cord. I had a co-worker, who actually worked with my best friend. My friend would explain to me some of her symptoms and I would tell her to go see a doctor NOW. She had many of the same symptoms I had with spinal cord compression. Well, she didn't. She took her time since she was so busy playing soccer and running and such. Until finally she had no choice. Now she cannot feel her legs or feet. Her soccer days are over or are as they were. She is doing better then I would expect since she is a strong willed independant women and continues to do all she can and has learned to work with not feeling her feet and legs. Occasionally I am told she stumbles but not bad. If you were to look at her you wouldn't know. But if she had went immediately when she had symptoms maybe and I can only speculate she would have much more feelings in her legs.

K

Old 12-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
    kgreenberg2000
    (female)

kgreenberg2000 HB User

Thank you all for responding. I need to pick up the report from the hospital where the MRI and CAT scan was done. I went to the emergency room by ambulance last Thursday night, when I was rearended on the highway. I will go see the neurosurgeon they referred me to, this coming Wednesday. I was so dazed from the five hours of testing with my head in a neck brace on a stretcher, that I didn't ask as many questions as I normally would, but the emergency room doctor said they found the source of all the pain I 've had for the past 8 mths and that's when I found out about the cyst. I had a pre-existing herniated disc in C-6, C-7. I am in a lot of pain all the time. I'm picking up the report from the hospital today. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
    kgreenberg2000
    (female)

kgreenberg2000 HB User

The MRI report says there is a nerve root sleeve cyst at the C7-T1 level. Is this the same as aTarlov or perineural cyst and how do they treat it? I also had a CT scan which showed herniated discs C5-C6 and C6-C7. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:07 AM   #7
    kelsey1
    Veteran
    (female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

hi,i just was kind wondering out loud why that both mri and cat scan show 2 different things,why wouldn't one pick up the other and vs (SP?)wierd? Anyways ns will make a call on what is done next (depending on systems also)so maybe surgry never can tell if they are going to say needs surgry or not,like i have said before i have seen ns tell people the need surgry for things i have 20x worst 2 years ago they told me i did need it.also i thing ins. matters because i was on state ins. at the time,hard to get them to agree on things,sad because i wouldn't be in the same shape i am in today if they would have done something a long time ago.This time i have good ins. and i will get 2nd oppion. good luck kelsey

Old 12-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #8
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Actually,from what your report states here that cyst is not on your actual spinal cord at all but on the nerve root.thats really good believe me.it lessens any actual spinal cord damage for you.but i am sure this is casuing pain since it IS within the sheath that surrouds the nerve root.it would casue some level of compression or impingment becasue if size and the simple fact that it appears to be kind of in between the actual nerve root itself and the outter sheath that is ment to protect it.have you actually consulted with a neurosurgeon yet?

just an FYI here about the differences in CTs and MRIs.since they use different types of scans to obtain results some things will not show well on certain types of scans vs others.but the herniated discs really should have been noted on ther CT as a CT does really take fantastic pics of any boney surfaces.just as clear as X ray since it uses radiation for the scan.marcia

Closed Thread