It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• choking after surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-11-2007, 02:42 AM   #1
    jodi41262
    (female)

jodi41262 HB User
    Unhappy choking after surgery

I had acdf surgery on my cervical spine on november 8th i was fused at 3 levels. My problem is I am choking on everything I try to eat is this normal this long after surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
    mllsj53
    (female)

mllsj53 HB User
    Re: choking after surgery

My surgery was done Oct 18. I just went to the doctor and had a question about the feeling that someone is pressing on my throat (this feeling just started about 2 days ago). I have found that I need to chew my food until it is in minute bits or I will choke on it. I have learned to chew chew chew my food and eat slowly. Dr. said that I may be developing scar tissue in the surgery area. His suggestion is that I massage the scar to break up the scar tissue and that is should eventually smooth out. He also said that eventually my body will grow over the metal plate so I will not get that feeling of pressure so much.

Hope this helps a bit. I believe that it may be normal, but of course if you find that you cannot breathe or swallow you should have it checked out by your doctor.

mll

Old 12-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
    Ramsfan
    (male)

Ramsfan HB User
    Re: choking after surgery

I've had multiple surgeries and each time it took several months to get over the choking feeling. I still occasionally get a choking sensation when I move my head in certain positions, and it's been 4 years since my last surgery.

Closed Thread