It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• broken screw in lower back.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
    Michael 4482
    (male)

Michael 4482 HB User
    broken screw in lower back.

Is it common for titanium screws to break in half 2 years after lower back surgery when there was no physical activity?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
    Lilacs&Lillies
    (female)

Lilacs&Lillies HB User
    Re: broken screw in lower back.

My dad had a screw break right after surgery. (I assume it was titanium.) He thinks it happened newly post-op though, as they were transfering him from the gurney back to his bed. When it broke part of the vertebra broke along with it and both were pressing into his spinal cord causing excruciating pain. It was horrid b/c nobody believed him that there was something wrong. (Nobody except family, that is, since we know him and how incredibly high his pain tolerance is.)

I hope you are okay.
    Lillly

Old 01-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

I don't think it is common but it happens. Just recently someone here posted their screws have broken 2x. Yikes!

Old 01-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
    karrie77
    (female)

karrie77 HB User

It can be common if you have a pseudoarthrosis (non-fusion) in your spine from surgery. Non-fusion puts stress on the hardware and allowing mobility which in turn can allow your instrumentation to break. I had this happen also with my instrumentation, hence why one surgery lead to 4 more surgeries and still going. I was told with my initial surgery that nothing could break my hardware unless I fell out of a 10 story building. HAHA! THAT was far from the truth.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
    bobbies2007
    (female)

bobbies2007 HB User

Hi I am the one were the screws broke twice[ once in c7 in the front of my neck and c5 on backside ] I went for an injection in my neck Monday It kind of hurt I think he could have waited for the local anesthetic to work a little longer before he got started I pretty much felt everything then had to lay flat on my back about an hour and a half [no fun at all I had to fast so I was dying for a drink ]. The true test will be tomorrow I go back to work, and I make tops of porcelin and powdercoat washing machines so i am lifting a lot of weight every 9 seconds, to see if I can stand pain. I go to my neurologist on Jan. 30 if he isn't going to help me I may try of a spine clinic I heard of in Cleveland, Ohio. Maybe they can help me. Gotta go Will check back n couple of days to see what others are going through. I didn't think this neck thing was that common. Bobbie

Closed Thread