It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• breathing problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
    latenites
    (female)

latenites HB User
    Question breathing problems

Does anyone know if spinal disorders can cause throat and breathing problems? Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User
    Re: breathing problems

Do you have any other problems beside the throat and breathing problems?

Old 01-06-2008, 04:58 AM   #3
    latenites
    (female)

latenites HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rayefaye View Post
    I have degenerative disc disease, stenosis, and a herniated disc in my cervical spine, and the same in my lumbar spine plus spondylosthesis. I know I have DDD in my thoracic spine, but have never had an MRI in that area. Lately my chest feels tight and my throat feels constricted. Thanks for responding!

Old 01-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

I have seen one other poster (Mona? or Feelbad?) who has had chest tightness. I believe someone else about a year ago mentioned going to an ER or heart doc and finding nothing. I've had some chest tightness which I've not mentioned to a doc but I also had a problem about a year ago with a "chocking sensation"/"couldn't swallow" type syndrome - neuro thought it was anxiety and stress.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User

Hi,

Yes...it was me as far as chest tightness goes. I have had it off and on since my herniation and since my surgery. I think it's often called "banding." I will have real pressure/pain in my chest feelings, sometimes all over, sometimes left side, sometimes right side, sometimes not at all. I even went so far as to have an EKG - totally normal. I have had just a few weird episodes of shortness of breath, though not too much. Certainly racing heart feeling on numerous occasions. Also, maybe 3-4 times my throat will suddenly feel tight, almost like some sort of spasm and has never lasted for very long. Sometimes, it seems, anything neurologically involved, I've had here or there. I really had given up on docs and decided I would either get better or just stay sick. I now am caving into another round of doctor appts to see if anyone can help me get sorted out. I now wonder if I have some underlying issue that may have caused the herniation (which was spontaneous) in the first place. I just don't know anymore. Please keep us posted on how things are going for you. Good Luck. Mona

Last edited by monarog; 01-06-2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: One more thing

Old 01-08-2008, 07:55 AM   #6
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I to have the heavy feeling & tighting in the chest area. I often as of lately get a stabbing pain in the center of the chest area. It often will feel like a band is beig tighting around my breast & rib area, very frustrating & can get very painful. I do have some problems in the c-spine, but I have discovered a problem in the shoulder & will be going for surgery. the doctors seem to think that this chest issue is related to all the inflammation & they call it secondary symptoms of the orginal problem. I often feel like my throat is swelling on the left side when this occurs, & many times feel like I can't swallow correctly, very hard to explain, very strange. there are times it is hard to breathe, like can't take a breathe all the way in, or get enough air in, kind of like something is preventing me from taking a full inhalation & can get scary. My heart rate will go up & this happens most often while I am sleeping it will wake me up, happens when I am awake to but not as often. I have had cardiac testing done with nothing showing. I will see if all of this goes away after surgery & I have to admit it scares me to think it won't. I have noticed that I have alot of mucsle spasms in the upper chest, in the past I did not realize they were muscle spasms until it was pointed out to me. My rehab. doctor showed me a diagram of the area & showed me how one problem can cause all this to happen. Hard to believe until you really have it explained to you. I would have never believed all that could come from one small area. I will tell you that even muscle relaxers did not help the only real relief when it gets bad it a small dose of valium which calms me down & works as a muscle relaxer. I try to avoid taking it because of the pain meds I am on, but if the heart rate kicks up I will take 1/2 dose. I feel bad for anyone experiancing this, it is really scary & just to let you know took them forever to figure out mine may very well be due to an injury in the shoulder. I have heard of these symptoms being linked to areas in the c-spine also. I just told my doc. if I did not know something else was wrong I would have sworn I was having a heart attack, that tightening feeling can get pretty bad. good luck & keep us informed. Sammy

Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
    latenites
    (female)

latenites HB User

Thank you for your replies. i understand what you're going through. It's very scary and discouraging to have this on top of all the pain. I'm seeing a pain management doc tomorrow. I'm hoping he'll give me something for pain because I can't take it any more. I'm afraid to tell him about this chest tightness because I don't want to be seen as a hypochondriac. Maybe it is caused by stress and anxiety due to the pain. I'm hoping that it will go away if I get some pain relief. I never thought life would be this bad, but then I keep telling myself "it could be worse". I'm sending warm and soothing thoughts out to all of you who are in pain.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
    BobM
    (male)

BobM HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rayefaye View Post
    I think it depends on the level - can you tell which levels (for example, C4 or C6, etc) you have the DDD and herniated disc?

Nerves from the C3 & C4 go to the diaphragm (as well as other places) - so a problem at that level could possibly create a breathing problem.

The only way to know for sure is to get a neurosurgeon or neurologist involved. I would definitely mention this symptom and get it checked out.

There are so many other things that could cause respiratory problems, too, but since you know you have trouble with your C Spine, it would be good to find out for sure.

Closed Thread