It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• I need help in interpreting mri results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
    SRFJDF
    (female)

SRFJDF HB User
    I need help in interpreting mri results

Please help me!
    I have been sent to a Neurologist after an MRI. The results were not explained to me but sound scary. I have no health insurance and would like help understanding what all this means for my future and my pain.

Findings:

There is straightening of the usual cervical lordosis.

The vertebral body heights and bone marrow signal intensities appear maintained.

There is an area of smudge-like increased signalseen in the anterier aspect of the spinal cord on one of the sagittal T2-weighted images. This is not found on other sequences and most likely represents a representation of Gibbs artifact. Otherwise, spinal cord appears unremarkable.

C2-C3through C4-5: Unremarkable
    C5-6: One mm broad based posterier bulge/spondylosis. Unciate hypertrophy with spondylotic faraminal encroachment on the right.
    C6-7: Unremarkable
    C7-T1: Unremarkable

Impression:

1. Straightening of the usual cervical lordosis.
    2. C5-6 level shows uncinate hypertrophy and spondylotic foraminal encroachment on the right side.
    3. Smudge-like area of increased signal intensity in the cervical spinal cord seen at the C2-3 disc interspace level on one sequence only. This is most likely an artifact. However, a postcontrast follow-up study would be helpful to rule out the presence of an enhancing lesion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: I need help in interpreting mri results

Hi and welcome
    Your bulge area isn't that bad at all and you have arthritis in that area. This wouldn't be something they would probably operate on and instead would try some rest, PT, etc. What is your pain? Arm/shoulder/blades? Do you have Headaches? Do you have any numbness, weakness or gait issues? They don't say how bad your foramin encroachment is, that's a little tunnel your nerve root passes through on its way to your arm. Good news it doesn't say compression or impingement.

The other thing the "smudge" could be nothing or something. Sometimes the MRI software leaves things call artifacts that are lines, blurs, smudges - it is from the conversion of the image. Things they are not sure of should always be checked so if they give you a contrast MRI or CT (die injected they rescanned) they would be able to rule out something more serious like a lesion, cyst, etc.. If you do have something like a cyst or small syrinx (Syringomyelia) they would probably want to do surgery.

Sorry you do not have insurance, but if you are having serious pain and symptoms it would be best to proceed with what they recommend. When you get more info come back and ask more questions.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
    RandR
    (male)

RandR HB User
    Re: I need help in interpreting mri results

Do you have any pain in your shoulder or arms? You sound very similar to what I had and I never saw a neurologist. I talked to many others who said that they wanted to do surgery and give lots of drugs. That is not what I wanted. I wanted to get back to life and not feel drugged. I went to Dr. Robin in Pearland and she is the most informative and caring doc I've ever met. You may be a good candidate for spinal decompression. Just take a copy of your MRI and she will cover everything your need to know with that evaluation & report of findings health certificate. You are very good at explaining the MRI and truthfully it is not scary. Should have seen mine =). Just use a search engine on her name, Dr Robin Jacobs-Rodriguez and find her decompression website. Printing the first page will give you a discount since you don't have insurance.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by RandR; 01-11-2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Closed Thread