It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Home from surgery, still in a huge amount as pain and very weak

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
    Home from surgery, still in a huge amount as pain and very weak

Hello evryone,
    I got home yesterday afternoo, I have a huge amount of pain anc cant use my arms vrery well or tun my head. I just wanted to chrck in and say thanks for your thoughts but this hurts to much so check you all later,

Chrissy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
    Re: Home from surgery, still in a huge amount as pain and very weak

Hi Chrissy! Welcome home honey - I sure hope you start feeling better today or tomorrow.....once you've come out of the anesthesia fog and can start functioning like a normal human being....you know: eating, taking a shower (if allowed), hydrating yourself; you should feel so much better. Is the pain you are feeling now just the post op pain or do you think you still have your original pain?? Take care not to wear yourself out and try to pamper yourself or let someone else pamper you for a few days. You're in my thoughts! Memere (Kathy'Mac)

Old 01-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Welcome home Chrissy! I pray that they managed your pain well in the hospital and that you are not hurting to badly. Take care of yourself and know that we will be here for you.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
    painaway
    Veteran
    (female)

painaway HB User

Glad you're home, Chrissy!! Welcome back! I'll be praying for pain-free days ahead, and know that we're here for you.
    (((hugs)))

Old 01-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
    mcda
    Inactive
    (female)

mcda HB User

Chrissy...I am so glad to hear that you are safely home. I pray that you will continue to recover and that your recovery will go quickly and "pain-free."

Old 01-12-2008, 05:38 AM   #6
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Chrissy,

Honey I am so glad to hear that you are home safe and sound! Yeah! Take it easy, my friend. Just take care of yourself the best you can. Take your meds around the clock for the first few days to keep your pain from getting out of control. We will be here when you can post. I hope and pray that you have a short recovery with little pain!

Your Friend,

Amanda

Old 01-13-2008, 03:33 AM   #7
    trowftd3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

trowftd3 HB User

Ditto what Amanda said...take those pain meds around the clock so you stay ahead of the pain! Take care and post when you can.~Mush

Old 01-13-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

glad things went well and you are safe and sound and at home probably in your favorite jammies?hows the pain hon?i do hope they are managing it well for you.give us the rundown on what they ended up doing for you and how you feel when you are up to it,K?now go lie down,put your feet up and act like a queen.ice ice ice.take care hon.we are all wishing you a very speedy and as painless as possible recovery,marcia

Old 01-13-2008, 03:39 PM   #9
    acaptainn
    (male)

acaptainn HB User

Chrissy im hoping your feeling btr by the time u read this.Ive been sleeping a lot the past few days,it doesnt take much to wear me out. Ive been walking a coupla times a day and trying NOT to take a lot o pain meds.well thats where i am this eve. ACAP.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:16 AM   #10
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Thanks so much evey body,

I tiik my firstt trip to the store with my Mom today and that pretty well wore me out!!
    It was nice to get out and see people gut it really did whipe me out alot.

I have been sleeping most of the rest of the time

It is very early in the morning here amd i feel myself getting drowsy again so up to bed again.

More tomorrow when I can make more sense...lol

Thanks eveyone.,,,,,Chriissy

Old 01-14-2008, 04:55 AM   #11
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zoey1 HB User

i hope you get to feeling better soon as well as energy back.
    Please remember to take your meds. I can remember from the back boards folks having such a hard time right after surgery and over and over it was mainly due to them trying to "make it through after surgery without taking their meds and or forgetting to take their meds.
    So my few tips are take your meds, use a recliner to sleep in if getting in and out of bed to hard. Find plastic plates / cups, see if mom or a pal can pick up a bed buddy for you it can be microwave for heat or put in freezer great for warming up hands or feet and or aches/pain. Give yourself time to recover from surgery ....
    Soft hugals oh don't forget cough drops and throat may be sore for a while . First two weeks after surgery mainly had soft foods....
    Take good care

Old 01-14-2008, 05:27 AM   #12
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Welcome home Chrissy, so glad to hear from you. I hope you will feel better each & every day. Take it easy & just relax. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Sammy

Old 01-14-2008, 07:17 AM   #13
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Hello Everyone,

I am still in a lot of pain! And as far as the pain meds go they are dished out into a med box with the day and hour that they are to be taken so they the person taking care of me and my self do not forget, You know....wound'nt want to take an extra or forget one dose eitherr

My non has been here most of the time except for about a 24 -36 hour timefram that was really hard for me. I ahd a friend here for a wile but it just was not the same. I was glad to have her with me though.
    I still have some durgical pain at the incisions area ans some neck and arm pain but I think that will go asway soon

Yesterday I went to the grocery store and that was quite and experience. I was pretty well zonked out after that and rested the rest of the day and nihgt,

So today as long as the weather permits I will don my sweatsuit and shoes and of course my mom for suppot and get moving. I gotta get moving.

I have this one place on my head where the tape is covering the wound that won't stp hurting, It is a constant nerve type pain. I will ask doc about that when I make appt to se him ths morning.

I did have the urinary retentuion pretty bad and they had to put the catheter in. They tried ti take it out but it did nit work so I had it in almost up to the time I went home. It is still a little hard to urinate but I am making progress.

The pain was well managed in the hospital.
    I Had a continuos amount of Demoral going in through th IV plush a PCA punp that I was allowed to press every 6 minutes (Demoral) if needed. I was also on percocet 10-2o mg oral and 10 mg Valium evey 8 and viseril every 8 hours.

When I was sent home I was sent home wiht the same orals I had on the hospital. So far I had to only call the doc one time becaus pain to abd and he said take an extra percocet and an Ibuprofin and see if that would help...but just that one time.

I am running at a constant level of 7 on the scale bu it is doanle for now and I anticipate it will get better over time.

Thanks Chrissy

Old 01-14-2008, 08:14 AM   #14
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

glad to hear you are up and actually trying to get out of the house too.thats a huge thing for your brain to feel ya know?i am just wondering about the wound you said you have on your head??just exactly what did they do there hon?if i remember right,you were just having a shoulder surgery?just what is that from and how does that pain feel exactly?you mentioned nerve type pain but thats kind of a wide area if ya know what i mean?did they send you home with one of those ice compression units?they really helped alot with my knee.i know when my bro in law had his rotator cuff repair a few months back,he also had this for his shoulder.it just keeps continuous icing there or you can also do it off and on which would be about where you are at right now,the off and on thing.
    i just recieved a "list' of things from my ortho about what supplies i have to get in place before my shoulder decomp and tear repair.i have to have this freaking machine/chair type thing sent to my home to use for the 'passive motion therepy" thing?i know my dad used a similar thing for his knee replacement surgeries but i didn;t know they had one for shoulders.but its a huge freaking chair that will take up half my living room.this machine that you place your shoulder area into just slowly excercises the actual joint itself and not muscle or tendon.its supposed to help with pain too(something maybe you could ask about?)but it just starts the therepy abiit earlier and keeps that joint from locking up from disuse while you heal.just didn't expect to be moving in 'devices' ya know?

i am so glad you posted chrissy.i have been thinking of you.my surgery is now set for feb 6th,my moms BD.seeing all the things they need me to get is just notching up my anxiety level a bit.hope things continue to get better hon.just take your time with this healing process.don't push,anything just yet,K? please keep us posted as much as you are up to.we are thinking about you.Marcia

Old 01-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
    kelsey1
    Veteran
    (female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

hi crissy
    hope you get better soon. i go to the first ns appt tomm. my other one was canceled due to the an er emer, on dr part,anyways i was filling out paper work and i am worried about pain after surgry ,because in the paper work it states that i can only get meds from them ,i don't want to mess up my pm dr i need those meds but i am sure i will need more pain meds to deal with it,i am remembering that you had some trouble with it,when you are able will you tell me about what i need to do or anyone else that can help too. please, all the best kelsey

Closed Thread