It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Here are my MRI results/Can someone tell me what it means?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
    braveneck
    (male)

braveneck HB User
    Here are my MRI results/Can someone tell me what it means?

Findings; spinal cord has normal signal characteristics throughout its course.

C2-3; Mild disc dessication.Small posterior spur.

C3-4; Mild disc dessication. Small broad based posterior spur slightly indenting the anterior cord. Mild spinal stenosis. Bilateral facet degenerative changes worse on left side. Moderate right/left neural foraminal narrowing.

C4-5; Mild disc space narrowing. Small posterior spur/mild stenosis. Mild degenerative changes slightly worse on right side. Moderate left/right foraminal narrowing.

C5-6; Mild disc space narrowing/dessication. There is right uncovertebral hypertrophy. Mild spinal stenosis. Moderate left/severe right neural foraminal narrowing. Superior endplate cyst at C6 level.

C6-7; Mild disc dessication. Combination broad based posterior spur and 1-2 mm broad based posterior disc bulge, no spinal stenosis. Mild bilateral facet degerative changes. Moderate right neural foramin narrowing. No left narrowing.

I've had this neck pain for years. I'm pretty much okay, if I don't turn my head to the side, and avoid working out. Sometimes it flares for no reason, and I get the occasional headache. I really miss the gym. I can't even do some lousy pushups, because if I do, it will mean 2 weeks of bad pain.
    I've tried PT a couple of times(it helps a little), massage, anti-inflammatories, all the usual.
    I was supposed to have surgery, but cancelled.
    I've also discovered just recently, that heavy computer use might be an issue. I first got a computer 7 years ago, and I live on the damn thing. I write screenplays that don't sell! I think that my pain has increased greatly the last 5 years, which coincides with the computer use.

Any insights about the MRI would be greatly appreciated. I was going to have a 56/67 fusion, but freaked out when I learned about the domino effect of the other levels often blowing out post fusion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: Here are my MRI results/Can someone tell me what it means?

You have some drying of the discs that cause them to lose their cushioning power. In turn that is not helping the widespread arthritis in your neck (spurs/hypertrophy/foraminal narrowing/facet changes). The level indenting the cord should be taken into consideration- what did the dr say about that level? The cyst is most likely from trying to isolate the bulge. The success rate for improving neck pain isn't as high as helping arm pain.studies show the levels below the fusion are more at risk for domino effect- I understand it won't jump to the thoracic from t7. Computer is more posture and tension on neck.I bet your shoulders/blades hurt a lot. No arm or wrist/hand trouble? Is your surgeon an ortho?

Old 01-15-2008, 06:27 AM   #3
    braveneck
    (male)

braveneck HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neckpatient View Post
    You have some drying of the discs that cause them to lose their cushioning power. In turn that is not helping the widespread arthritis in your neck (spurs/hypertrophy/foraminal narrowing/facet changes). The level indenting the cord should be taken into consideration- what did the dr say about that level? The cyst is most likely from trying to isolate the bulge. The success rate for improving neck pain isn't as high as helping arm pain.studies show the levels below the fusion are more at risk for domino effect- I understand it won't jump to the thoracic from t7. Computer is more posture and tension on neck.I bet your shoulders/blades hurt a lot. No arm or wrist/hand trouble? Is your surgeon an ortho?
    They didn't really explain much to me at all. Of course, I didn't know enough about what to ask. My right shoulder sometimes hurts, although not so much since I no longer go to the gym. I have no arm or wrist trouble that I am aware of. No leg or bladder problems. Just a pain in the neck, which is certainly bad enough, but I deal with it.
    I asked the primary care doc about less invasive procedures, and he then offerred to send me for a second opinion.
    The surgeon who planned the surgery was a neurosurgeon.
    Yeah, the indenting the cord area is a concern, but I am not clear on the level of danger I'm facing. In fact, I wasn't aware of any cord involvement until I read the report yesterday.
    A lady friend warned me that surgery could mean more surgeries down the line, and this website seems to substantiate that. Also, like you said, I might wind up with the same level of pain, or even more after surgery!
    Even if the surgery is 90% effective, I am not a lucky guy, and fear that I'd be a 10 percenter with nightmare results.
    Unless they tell me I MUST have it done, I am not likely to go forward with surgery.
    The surgeons nurse said that I "might have waited too long", but the surgeon himself didn't say anything like that. He did say that I could have compromised function, feeling in the hands, that I wouldn't notice since it happens so slowly.
    Since I asked about less invasive procedures, they are now allowing me to get a second opinion, which they probably should have offered upfront.
    Initially, I wanted the surgery, because I thought that I could go back to a normal life of gym activity. I was naive in my understanding of the seriousness of the surgery, and knew nothing about the complications.
    I appreciate this site and it's great to find a source of unbiased information.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #4
    braveneck
    (male)

braveneck HB User

Curiously, they didn't say anything about C3-4 spur slightly indenting the cord. He planned a 56/67 fusion. I'm totally confused now. Is the spur denting the cord a danger or not? I know it can't be good, but it doesn't seem to have been the reason for the planned surgery.
    I'm bewildered by this.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
    braveneck
    (male)

braveneck HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by braveneck View Post
    Findings; spinal cord has normal signal characteristics throughout its course.

C2-3; Mild disc dessication.Small posterior spur.

C3-4; Mild disc dessication. Small broad based posterior spur slightly indenting the anterior cord. Mild spinal stenosis. Bilateral facet degenerative changes worse on left side. Moderate right/left neural foraminal narrowing.

C4-5; Mild disc space narrowing. Small posterior spur/mild stenosis. Mild degenerative changes slightly worse on right side. Moderate left/right foraminal narrowing.

C5-6; Mild disc space narrowing/dessication. There is right uncovertebral hypertrophy. Mild spinal stenosis. Moderate left/severe right neural foraminal narrowing. Superior endplate cyst at C6 level.

C6-7; Mild disc dessication. Combination broad based posterior spur and 1-2 mm broad based posterior disc bulge, no spinal stenosis. Mild bilateral facet degerative changes. Moderate right neural foramin narrowing. No left narrowing.

I've had this neck pain for years. I'm pretty much okay, if I don't turn my head to the side, and avoid working out. Sometimes it flares for no reason, and I get the occasional headache. I really miss the gym. I can't even do some lousy pushups, because if I do, it will mean 2 weeks of bad pain.
    I've tried PT a couple of times(it helps a little), massage, anti-inflammatories, all the usual.
    I was supposed to have surgery, but cancelled.
    I've also discovered just recently, that heavy computer use might be an issue. I first got a computer 7 years ago, and I live on the damn thing. I write screenplays that don't sell! I think that my pain has increased greatly the last 5 years, which coincides with the computer use.

Any insights about the MRI would be greatly appreciated. I was going to have a 56/67 fusion, but freaked out when I learned about the domino effect of the other levels often blowing out post fusion.
    MRI 1999

C2-3; No protrusion. Mild right neural foraminal narrowing.
    C3-4;No protrusion. Right NF narrowing. No stenosis.
    C4-5; Broad based extradual defect, mildly effacing ventral subarachnoid space. Right NF narrowing.
    C5-6; Broad based extradural defect consistent with broad based disc/bar.
    Significant encroachment upon right NF related to uncovertable joint and facet hypertrophy, with foramen markedly narrowed. Mild spondylitic stenosis.
    C6-7; Broad based extradural defect. Mild effacement of ventral space. Mild NF narrowing.
    C7;No protrusion. No stenosis.
    Impression;Degenerative changes at C5-6 with disc space narrowing and bilateral foraminal encroachment.
    No significant change since 2-6-96.

I would love for someone to tell me what this means, in terms of whether I must have surgery or not.

Closed Thread