It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• spondylolysis/spondylothesis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
    victoriahodgson
    Inactive
    (female)

victoriahodgson HB User
    Post spondylolysis/spondylothesis

<ref: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=97647>

Hi! Do you know what sponylolithis is? I just got back from an osteo and she said I have it, but it would be hard to get a doctor to bother to x-ray my back as it's not giving me any pain. Is this something I should get treated or only if there is pain? What do you know? All I know is that one of the vertebrae, I think number 13 feels like it's missing!

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-24-2008 at 12:42 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #2
    musikus
    (male)

musikus HB User
    Re: spondylolysis/spondylothesis

Quote:
    Originally Posted by victoriahodgson View Post
    <ref: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=97647>

Hi! Do you know what sponylolithis is? I just got back from an osteo and she said I have it, but it would be hard to get a doctor to bother to x-ray my back as it's not giving me any pain. Is this something I should get treated or only if there is pain? What do you know? All I know is that one of the vertebrae, I think number 13 feels like it's missing!
    Spondylolisthesis? This has been discussed elsewhere on this board. I would do a search for all the threads where it has appeared.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: spondylolysis/spondylothesis

Hi - These are related conditions. Spondylolysis is frequently asymptomatic and lots of people have it and don't even know. Spondylolysis is some type of defect in the connection between vertebrae. This defect can lead to small stress fractures in the vertebrae that can weaken the bones so much that one slips out of place, and then causes the condition called spondylolisthesis. Spondylolisthesis is a condition where one or more of the bones of the spine (vertebrae) slips out of place onto the vertebra below it. It they slip out too much they might press on a nerve causing pain. This problem is usually found in the lower back. Symptoms are things like lower back pain, possibly muscle spasms like in your hamstring, or nerve pain.

I would discuss it with your primary care dr.. Your doc might want to do some simple tests and keep an eye on it. They grade the slippage if you have it:
    Grade I 1 percent to 25 percent slip
    Grade II 26 percent to 50 percent slip
    Grade III 51 percent to 75 percent slip
    Grade IV 76 percent to 100 percent slip

Closed Thread