It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• myelomalacia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
    JANB8257
    (female)

JANB8257 HB User
    myelomalacia

is there any treatment or cure for myelomalacia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User
    Re: myelomalacia

I've also been told I have some of this as seen in a "signal intensity" increase in the MRI but no one has really explained it.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:00 AM   #3
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: myelomalacia

sunshine: I do not have this but from what I read Myelomalacia is a term that refers to an area of softening of the spinal cord - maybe due to injury or compession from stenosis. Once damaged the spinal cord does not repair itself or grow back.

JanB: Any surgical procedure is meant to prevent further damage, but cannot repair the damage that already happened. Most treatments are to decompress. If there is a lot of cavity formed, syrinx cysts can form along with scar tissue/adhesions. There are some progressive forms of this that can lead to tethered cord syndrome from the adhesions.

You might be aware that there is a lot of research in the area of regenerating or repair the spinal cord. Don't ask me to explain - I am not a doctor, but I have read that there is lots of work going on in cell transplantation in the spinal cord. Including stem cells. There are animal studies that indicate that transplant of olfactory cells—glial cells —can promote recovery . Anyway if you were going to research look for these type words.

It is important to do regular follow up with a really good neurologist or neurosurgeon.

Last edited by PNo; 02-07-2008 at 11:54 AM.

Closed Thread