It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• DISH - Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
    foleynan
    (female)

foleynan HB User
    DISH - Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis

Does anyone also have bone spurs on cervical spine pushing on esophagus causing pain, food lodging, coughing? If so, have you had successful diagnosis and treatment?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
    mcda
    Inactive
    (female)

mcda HB User
    Re: DISH - Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis

Hello and welcome to the boards, foleynan...You will easily find that everyone here is more than willing to take the time to help you with any problems or questions that you may have. I have degenerative disc disease that has spread to my cervical spine. I have only had two x-rays on my cervical spine, so far. One of the things that I have noticed is that I am finding it more difficult to chew food and often get choked! I am hoping soon for a MRI on my neck. Have you had a MRI or any other tests? If so, what were the findings? Do you take any medications your abnormalities? Thanks, in advance.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
    foleynan
    (female)

foleynan HB User
    Re: DISH - Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis

I have had a modified barium swallow and cat scan of neck requested by my ENT showing bone spurs on C5 and C6 pushing on my esophagus. What's difficult is determining whether to now consult with a rheumatologist or an orthopedic surgeon dealing with spinal abnormalities - or back to my gastroenterologist who has been treating me for GERD. Thanks for your kindness.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:32 AM   #4
    weetoots
    (male)

weetoots HB User
    Smile Re: DISH - Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis

Foleynan, I just found your post. If you indeed have DISH in your cervical
    area of your spine, you need to see a neurologist.
    I had my diagnosis of DISH in 1999. Same problem, bone spurs pressing on my esophagus, making it difficult to swallow and breathe, esp. when I bent my head forward. I had surgery and they removed my bone growth.
    DISH mainly cuases the bone of your spine to grow outward and to the right. I can affect the whole spine. It also causes tendons that attach to bone to harden into bone. You will aslo get bone spurs in other places of your body.

let me know if you have any questions.

regards,
    Al

Closed Thread