It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Has anyone had the nerves burned in their neck for pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
    gabbygrace
    (female)

gabbygrace HB User
    Has anyone had the nerves burned in their neck for pain?

I am going to possibly go through that procedure and I would really like to hear from anyone that has gone through it and what your thoughts are.
    I've had the injections in my neck twice and no help at all and now my pm is wanting to do this procedure.
    (I can't think what he called it but it starts with an N I think)
    He is trying to do eveything he can besides surgery.
    Thank you,
    Gabby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
    EricG301
    (male)

EricG301 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had the nerves burned in their neck for pain?

I assume you're talking about a cervical rhizotomy. I've had it done twice, about 6 months apart. It worked on knocking out pain on my left side, but made no difference on the right (which is why I had it twice). The procedure itself wasn't bad at all, and besides being sore for a few days, it was pretty manageable. Expect your muscles to be jumpy, as the nerves that supplied them with their "instructions" were knocked out. It took a couple weeks for everything to calm down, but I was about to go back to work on Monday (after a Friday procedure). Ice will be your friend.

Confused why your doctor wants to go ahead with this after a failed "injection." Are you talking about a facet block? That's where they inject a numbing agent into the nerves to see if that blocks your pain. If it that works, (which wears off in a couple days) then they do the more-permanent rhizotomy. But if you got "no help at all" from those injections, then the rhizotomy won't help either.

I did get some relief from the block, but can't say the same for the rhizotomy.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
    gabbygrace
    (female)

gabbygrace HB User

I really didn't explain myself very well. The procedure is called neurotomies.
    Thanks,
    Gabby

Old 02-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
    EricG301
    (male)

EricG301 HB User

No I got you -- I'm pretty sure that "Radiofrequency neurotomies" are the same thing are rhizotomies. Thus my experience above is still valid.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
    acaptainn
    (male)

acaptainn HB User

I had that procedure done an a few times, it did help GREATLY in one position but not on another as Eric posted.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

I had that procedure done, too. Its got a lot of names: RADIOFREQUENCY NEUROTOMY....RHIZOTOMY....NERVE ABLATION....its all the same.
    The procedure helped me somewhat. I had arthritis with bone spurs and facet joint disease. I also had disk degeneration. I think it helped with the arthritis, but not with the disk pain. I went from being about a 7 on the pain scale, to maybe a 5. Nine months later I ended up with a 2 level cervical fusion, which was very helpful. (Jan. 2007)

Old 02-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
    gabbygrace
    (female)

gabbygrace HB User

I really appreciate all the information. It's just kind of scary thinking about "burning the nerves".
    I'm just so tired of the pain and having to take pills just to function day to day.
    Thanks again for the help,
    Gabby

Closed Thread