It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Killer Headaches

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
    purpletrail
    (female)

purpletrail HB User
    Killer Headaches

What is the best medication for Killer headaches from spinal issues? I get the type that start with the tightness in the back of your neck and goes up the back of your head to the top of your head. Driving and working on the computer seem to be the biggest trigger. I also can't decide on ice or heat.(?)

I tried ultram and lyrica without any effect. Darvocet has helped somewhat. Do I need some heavy duty narcotics to make a dent in it?

Gotta go, it is killing me right now!
    Holly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
    mcda
    Inactive
    (female)

mcda HB User
    Re: Killer Headaches

Hello, purple...Unfortunately, I also suffer from those type of headaches. I have Degenerative Disc Disease, which has just recently spread into my cervical spine. I have only had two x-rays on my cervical spine, which showed severe muscle spasms. I have had x-rays and a MRI done on my lumbar spine, which shows various spinal abnormalities. My doctor recently prescribed me the muscle relaxer, Soma, for my headaches. The medication did seem to help ease the pain caused from the severe headaches. Have you had any tests on your cervical spine performed? If so, what were the findings? Thanks, in advance.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:50 AM   #3
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Holly, I had those when I was in PT & at times they would just pop up on their own. I would mostly get them on one side of the neck but at times it would be the entire neck. They would end up encompassing the whole head, very painful. My pain meds did nothing for them. My PT said for the neck moist heat is always preferred but I tried both. At times it would help & other nothing. I have the C disk issues & was always in muscle spasm, bad. Could not find a muscle relaxer that worked well enough for me but I believe if the docs would have tried alittle harder it may have helped, pain meds did not do anything. I ended up getting trigger point injections when they got really bad & could not take the PT. Good luck. try the moist heat. Sammy

Old 02-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
    doslocos
    (female)

doslocos HB User

At the ER, they gave me Valium, even though I told them I had Robaxin at home. He said Valium works best. Also, I take Neorontin and Premarol (I hope I spelled that right?). Good luck. I'm new to the headache scene. I've been more of a lower back person, but the headaches came on out of nowhere, bad enough to go to the ER. I haven't had one since I started the Premarol. I think its an antidepressent with some nerve meds in it. I makes me crave chocolate though!

Old 02-12-2008, 05:31 AM   #5
    purpletrail
    (female)

purpletrail HB User

I couldn't find the medication "premarol". Maybe the spelling is a little off?

I did schedule trigger point injections for tomorrow. I sure hope they help. Last night I tried vicodin with the lyrica and a couple glasses of wine. No relief. I was freakin miserable at my son's basketball game.

I will also discuss meds with my pain doctor tomorrow. My husband has suggested pot (child of the sixties), but I don't think it would be strong enough to help.

Thanks for the suggestions,
    Holly

Old 02-12-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
    1sunny1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by purpletrail View Post
    I couldn't find the medication "premarol". Maybe the spelling is a little off?

I did schedule trigger point injections for tomorrow. I sure hope they help. Last night I tried vicodin with the lyrica and a couple glasses of wine. No relief. I was freakin miserable at my son's basketball game.

I will also discuss meds with my pain doctor tomorrow. My husband has suggested pot (child of the sixties), but I don't think it would be strong enough to help.

Thanks for the suggestions,
    Holly
    You might ask your doctor if you can have a series of epidurals, I had the headaches like you, I have a bulging disc in my neck, I have had one epidural so far and am scheduled for another, it really helps a lot, they said that you really need a series of 3 epidurals to have it work...so far it is working great.

Sunny

Old 02-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
    mcda
    Inactive
    (female)

mcda HB User

Hello, Holly...Whenever you find something that truly works for those severe headaches, please let us all know. I am always worried about triggering them. Thanks, in advance.

Closed Thread