It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Yesterday I had medial nerve branch block in the left lumbar area

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2008, 06:58 AM   #1
    galebear
    (female)

galebear HB User
    Yesterday I had medial nerve branch block in the left lumbar area

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I have to go without my vicodin to give a correct pain level after having the shots.This isn't easy because of my other area's of pain.From the scale of 1 to 10 this morning its a 7.Getting out of bed this morning was better because some of the stiffness was gone.I am being tested on standing,walking,sitting and bending.Started out as a 10.Those are the things that bother my lower back the most.Can anyone tell me what their experience has been with this procedure?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Re: Yesterday I had medial nerve branch block in the left lumbar area

I have had two rounds of this, and the first round I got no relief from the first injection, so they did not do anymore. The next time I got relief after the first injection that lasted about 4 weeks. The next injection lasted about 2 weeks and the 3rd and last one gave me no relief. I am sorry aobut having to tell you that, but you may have better luck. I have heard others who have had longer term relief and I hope that is the same for you. I am glad it did not hurt as bad as you thought. I remember it being the same for me. I was sure I needed to take something to relax me and I was still nervous. Then, when they did it, it really was nothing.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lfoster21; 02-19-2008 at 09:37 PM.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:10 AM   #3
    galebear
    (female)

galebear HB User

Thank you for your reply.The log just got sent back in the mail.The best I could do was a 6 1/2 although its suppose to be 1 through 10.I have some inflammation at the site where the shots were put.If I wasn't s dealing with other area's of pain when I took my fall I think I could have accomplished more.My mid back, right lumbar side,left foot and ankle that still is giving me pain from being sprained,cervical herniated bulging disc's which has given me left shoulder and arm pain and I messed my left knee up too when I fell hard to the cement ground.Those are all the areas I damaged when I fell in the parking lot at work.In a way it was almost impossible to aggressively push myself to get an honest result for the nerve block.After completing the 24 hour log I could hardly wait to take a vicodin because I was in so much pain in all areas.If I were given the procedure to kill all the nerves in the lumbar section I think the result would give me at the most a 50% improvement which would make me happy.I doubt the doctor would do it or either my insurance would not cover it.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User

I am sorry that you are having pain in so many different area. I can really relate to that. It seems when a procedure is done and helps in one area, when that pain hes lessened, I notice other areas that then hurt more (since I wasn't noticing them earlier due to the worse pain that is at that point being helped).

When you were talking about the "procedure to kill all the nerves in the lumbar section", are you refering to the radio frequency, which is where they "burn" the nerves? I had that done, so let me know if that is what you are talking about and I will let you know what it is like.

Anyway, I wish you well and who knows, maybe you could have the procedure in the lumbar area.

Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:27 AM   #5
    galebear
    (female)

galebear HB User

Yes that is the procedure I was talking about.Did it work for you? Even if it helped 50% I would be happy but I'm not sure they would even concider doing it unless it was 100% Thanks again for your reply and I'm anxious to hear about your results.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User

When I had the radio frequency, they first did a trial without the burning, to make sure they got the correct area. They use a numbing medicine and if the area that you usually are in pain, is numb right after the procedure and for the next hr. or 2...then they do the real thing. The test worked 100 % no pain. I tried to bend, twist and all the things that usually bring on pain and there was nothing. Then they did the real one and the procedure wasn't easy, but it was doable and I had had worse procedures. This one also worked 100 % no pain. I went back to work close to full time (had not done that in 3 years), I did everything that I could think of, just to see what I had been missing and it was wonderful! The only problem for me was that it only lasted 2 or so months. As far as I am concerned, the procedure was worth 2 months of freedom and fun. But I will tell you, I have gone through numerous procedures that the Drs. could not figure out why they did not work. They don't know, but it may have something to do with the fact that I have Auto Immune disorders and my immune system my be fighting against some of the procedures. So, if I were you, I would fight to give it a try. You will know after the trial, if it is going to work. You just wont know how long it will work. But if you do the trial and it works...it'll be worth the final procedure.

Please keep me posted, I am really interested in what happens with you.

Lorie

Old 02-21-2008, 08:35 AM   #7
    galebear
    (female)

galebear HB User

Thank You Lorie For Your Reply
    I was happy to hear you had some success even if it was only for 2 months.I was so hoping the medial nerve branch block I had would have given better results.Its confusing because there is so much pain and the mri 's being different for me (One normal and the other showing DDD is baffuling )I'm afraid it may cause a problem with my WC Case.The pain is real and I just wish I had a clear answer.My primary care doctor took an xray which he says shows I have arthitis throughout my comlpete back plus bone spurs.Hopefully my pain management doctor has more ideas he can try.

Closed Thread