It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Two failed rhizotonomies -- so now facet joint injections?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
    EricG301
    (male)

EricG301 HB User
    Two failed rhizotonomies -- so now facet joint injections?

Hey all,

I need some help understanding my PM doctor's logic. I've had two rhizotomy procedures done on my neck in the past year -- both which failed. The most recent one was done in October.

I've since switched doctors. My new PM wants to do a facet steroid injection, to be followed with botox in the muscles. It made sense when he suggested it the other day, but the more I think and read about it, the more confused I get.

Everything I'm reading about facet injections say that they should be done first -- and if it provides relief, then a rhizotomy should be done to provide more long-term relief. But if I've had two failed rhizotomies, then what makes him think that the injection will yield a different result?

The only thing I can think of is that the rhizotomy attacks the nerves that come out of the joint, and these injections attack the joint itself. But if those nerves have already been burned twice, and in theory no longer transmit pain signals to be brain, then...I'm confused.

Any help?

Last edited by EricG301; 02-28-2008 at 07:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
    EricG301
    (male)

EricG301 HB User
    Re: Two failed rhizotonomies -- so now facet joint injections?

updated w/ more info

Old 02-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Re: Two failed rhizotonomies -- so now facet joint injections?

I don't know the reason my Dr. did the facet injectons first, but it was when they did not work, that he tried the RF. I don't know if it has to be in that order.

Could it be, since it is a new PM, that for insurance reasons, he has to start over with the facet injections, before the insurance will pay for the RF. I know the RF is a lot mor expensive.

If I hear anything, I will post again.

Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread