It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• horrid upper back pain...help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
    lynn40
    (female)

lynn40 HB User
    horrid upper back pain...help

Hello. I need help/advice. My upper back on the right side, directly under shoulder blade and is killing me. The pain is almost unbearable. I can't think of anything I did. I was substitute teaching in a class on Monday and near the end of the day it was like my back "stuck" in one position. The right side pain was horrible.

I was walking funny just trying to make it to the end of the day. One of the kids was like "What's wrong with you?" So I know my face must have shown the pain. I propped 3 pillows behind me and sat in a rocking chair and made it through.

Yesterday seemed a touch better and they needed me to sub in same room so i made it through. But at night the same horrid pain was back. I knew I could never sleep, found some leftover muscle relaxers in cabinet (flexoril) so took two of those and finally got to sleep.

Slept til 11 today and woke up with my back killing me again!

Only things I can add are I am suffering from a cold. I know you get body aches but this seems way more than that...and it's only on the one side.

Next we got a new mattress like 4 months ago. Never had a problem before. But we did go from waterbed to a firmer mattress. It is pillowtop though, so it feels comfortable to me.

This pain is killing me. I think I will have to go to doctor. If nothing else to get pain pills. I hate taking meds but tylenol ain't gonna cut it. Please, anyone, help. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Lynn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
    Re: horrid upper back pain...help

Lynn:

I'm so sorry about the pain you're in. I would definitely see your Doctor to find out what's go on. He or she will be able to order tests that will help to identify what's going on.

Sometimes alternating Ice and heat will help if there's inflammation going on. At least may give you a little relief until you see your Doctor.

I hope you get some answers and relief very soon.

~ Fiona

Old 02-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

fiona is right,this does need to be evaluated by your doc in order to find out the actual pain trigger.this could just be muscle related in and of itself or muslce/nerve related too.ideally an MRI of the c spine and the upper T spine would really be the best possible way to really see inside down to the cord level.this would most likely reveal something or at the very least,rule that area out.then you can move onto other possibilities.but this all starts with that initial trip to your doc to get rolling.when inflammation is present,besides the hot or cold,advil or even aleeve(which just lasts a bit longer for you)may be much more helpful than plain tylenol in hitting the actual inflammtion and bringing it down for you.just a good tried and true suggestion.i practically lived on only aleeve for about two years before i finally got what i already knew was a herniated disc finally evaluated and treated.its a good long lasting anti inflammatory med.but getting to your doc to try and find the true source of this pain would be your best bet right now.good luck,and please let us know just what you find out.Marcia

Old 03-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
    bobnorth
    (male)

bobnorth HB User

Could be one of the worst of neck/upper back maladies -- a spasm of the splenius cervicus muscle. It's trigger point is next to the shoulder blade toward the spine. It has been so bad a spasm for me that it feels like a viral thing...like meningitis. Makes my neck and base of neck feel like it's on fire. If what you're describing is a pain more inside the back of the ribcage it could be a pull/strain of an intercostal muscle. It happens a lot when you breath just when you're bending over to reach for something...cause a spasm in that exact area. Hot baths are the best.

Closed Thread