It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Posterior Fusion C3-7 on the 13th

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-29-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
    purpletrail
    (female)

purpletrail HB User
    Posterior Fusion C3-7 on the 13th

I decided to go ahead with a posterior fusion of C3-7 with rod and screw fixation and foraminotomies at C4-7. I need some hope for getting my life back. Anyone with experience with this procedure, I would love to hear from you. I know it is not an easy one.

My higher level of pain and numbness started 6 months ago, 2 years after my ACDF at C5-7. This fusion is now showing motion, so it has failed. I also had a foraminotomy and microendicscopic discectomy at C5-7 with Dr. Jho(ke) two years prior. That surgery only worked for about a year and actually made things worse.

I researched the posterior fusion scheduled for the 13th. It looks like about a 72% success rate for improvement of "symptoms", of course the fusion rate is much higher. I really like my current NS. He takes time to answer my questions and is a caring person. He did not push me into the procedure. He said that it usually comes down to your activity level (lack of) and lifestyle just not being tolerable anymore.

I feel like my world of what I can do is becoming smaller each day. I need to try to get back to work and enjoying time with my family. My life is currently spent trying to avoid pain, control pain and modify my activity to not induce more pain. That is not a life!

I check this board every day and hope that everyone is having a "good as possible day". I will post back on my experience and hopefully help someone who is facing similar decisions.

Holly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
    neckhurtin
    (female)

neckhurtin HB User
    Re: Posterior Fusion C3-7 on the 13th

//////////////////////////

Last edited by neckhurtin; 10-17-2008 at 09:16 PM. Reason: it is not necessary to quote a post you are directly responding to

Old 03-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
    purpletrail
    (female)

purpletrail HB User

Here is my experience with Dr. Jho. Like many of us, I was really concerned when Neurosurgeons started recommending fusion for my neck issues. At that time, I had herniations at C4/5,5/6 & 6/7; two contacting the cord. I also had a lot of degenerative facet changes on the right side and foramen narrowing.

I found Dr. Jho on the internet. His procedure was promising "no fusion" and a return to normal activity. I was running competitively at long distances and had hope to return to that sport.

I spent big bucks to travel to Pittsburgh with my family of four and stay in a hotel for a week. The surgery was a two level (C5/6,6/7) procedure in which he removed part of the vertebra to get to the back side of the disc. He then removed the herniated portion of the disc and decompressed the spinal cord. He also did foraminotomies at two levels to remove pressure from the nerves. I initially had a good outcome. My numbness was gone shortly after surgery. My pain was reduced by 50%, which was about what I expected. I returned to work and some running, though the pain would return if I pushed it. I didn't return to running competitively.

About one year after surgery, all of the symptoms returned and were even worse. I had an MRI and found that my herniations were worse and I had herniated another level. I finally agreed to a two level fusion. During the surgery, the surgeon had to spend one hour removing bone spurs that had formed all around the Jho surgical site. When Jho removed a portion of the disc and some of the vertebra, he had compressed the area even further and caused increased motion which generated inflammation and more bone spurs. My MRI had looked bad, but the surgeon said that the actual situation he found during surgery was much worse. I was the third Dr. Jho patient he had fused. All presented 1-2 years after the Dr. Jho surgery and were worse off.

I feel that for anyone with degenerative changes and multiple level disc disease, the Jho procedure does not make sense. We all need to evaluate all of our options. I am only one person, but if you research Dr. Jho on several of these forums, you will find many people with my story.
    Holly

Old 03-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
    neckhurtin
    (female)

neckhurtin HB User

//////////////////

Last edited by neckhurtin; 10-17-2008 at 09:16 PM.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
    neckhurtin
    (female)

neckhurtin HB User

Will do....

Old 03-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
    purpletrail
    (female)

purpletrail HB User

I feel that some of these "minimally invasive" spine surgery centers may be using the forums to drum up business. I question some of the "testimonials" from patients. Are they an employee of this clinic? An honest account of an outcome can at least start to balance out the playing field.

By the way, when I got back to the physician in question to let him know that my surgery had failed, his answer was to do another procedure for the two levels above the first two he had operated on. My whole neck would have been very unstable if I had allowed someone to remove that many discs and portions of vertebra. Other neurosurgeons could not believe this recommendation was ever offered.

I am only trying to help someone avoid the huge dollars I spent on this adventure and the problems it caused.

Holly

Old 03-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
    scull1948
    (male)

scull1948 HB User

My first post and view of this site. My NS wants to do an anterior fusion C3-7 and I'm totally freaked out. Options seem so limited, this is a good place to stop and catch my breath. I may delay mine until I feel more comfortable about a decision, surely don't want to go in get fused without a positive attitude. Sorry if I have little to add but wishing you the best Holly.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #8
    neckhurtin
    (female)

neckhurtin HB User

Best of luck on your upcoming surgery, hope all goes well for you.

Last edited by neckhurtin; 10-17-2008 at 09:20 PM.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:49 AM   #9
    Marywoo
    Veteran
    (female)

Marywoo HB User

I know everybody is gonna get mad at me for saying this,but ive watched a lot of people getting neck and back surgeries only to get worse afterwards,im starting to think teres really no long term solution,my doc said surgery causes adhesions which causes more surgeries.ive watched friends get surgeies and just continue to fail.im sorry if this sounds negative,but if you have any other options please for your own sake and the sake of future pain,try and stay away from surgeons,remember that is how they make their money,buy their cars and put their children through college.sorry but somebody needs to say it.best of luck and forgive the judgements they are not directed at you the patient but at so called surgeons.god bless yoy all and best of luck . mary

Old 03-03-2008, 05:58 AM   #10
    purpletrail
    (female)

purpletrail HB User

Neck hurtin & Mary,

I feel that MISS can be a good option for some people. I have heard of good long term results for people who have one herniated disc from an accident and do not have any degenerative changes to their spine. These people also tend to do well with a one level fusion.

In my 7 year battle with this problem and over 20 years since my original injury, I have learned a lot from forums like this and mutlitple consults with surgeons, therapists and pain management doctors. I am pretty much at the end stage of interventions. They have tried P.T. more times than I can remember. I am a former athlete, so I did really put forth the effort in P.T. Also did the chirpractic adjustments for 15 years, but a neck adjustment was what pushed my neck pain and herniations to a whole new level. Massage therapy helped for many years, but now it just seems to irritate nerves. Injections only worked for a short period of time.

If you get to the point where you have numbness in your arms and hands for an extended period of time, muscle weakness and signs of spinal cord compression, you probably need to look at a surgical intervention. A minor accident could result in paralysis. I hope that my upcoming sugery will eliminate the numbness, which is a likely outcome, and reduce my pain level by about 50%. This will allow me to get back to my "normal" life. I will always be dealing with some level of neck pain, but I need to get it to a manageable level for work, family activities and some type of exercise. I sure miss those endorphins!

You are both doing what you need to do for your own situation; research every possible treatment and make an informed decision. Good luck in your own quest for what is right for you!

Holly

Old 03-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #11
    scull1948
    (male)

scull1948 HB User

I'm going ahead with the anterior surgery in the morning. What a struggle, but you all make good points. And purple tail, your right, if an accident goes just just right and fate has it's way, one could be paralized.
    I wish I'd found this site years ago. My chiropractor and massage theropist have done a great job for 20 years, and I have exhasted the epidurals this year. They have helped with the pain, but numbing and strength loss remian, it's time to do something else.
    Talk to you all in a week or so.
    Steve

Old 03-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #12
    Monty44
    (male)

Monty44 HB User

In Oct. 03, I had an ACDF at levels C3 - C6. That fusion failed and in 2005, I had a Posterior Fusion C3-7 with rods and screws. Aside from a loss of range and motion, the spine fused and all is well. A couple of things to know. A posterior approach used to be the norm for cervical fusions. It is a more invasive procedure and the recovery time is much longer. There was considerably more pain involved with this surgery because of having to cut through the layers of muscles in the neck. Because of this, the anterior approach was developed as a less invasive procedure. Access to the spine from the front is not as good as from the rear and surgeons can miss things or are not able to reach things as easily and therefore, you are more likely to hear about a failed anterior fusion as opposed to a posterior one. Of course, the insurance carriers prefer the anterior surgery because of the lower cost involved. Some surgeon are now pushing for more posterior approaches.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #13
    purpletrail
    (female)

purpletrail HB User

Monty,
    I missed your post, since I have been running around like a crazy person trying to tie up loose ends with my business and household chores prior to surgery. Thanks for the response. It sounds like your experience was a pretty tough recovery, but turned out to be worth it in the long run. I am expecting it to be difficult, but hope that I can look back on it in one year and see that it was the right decision.

This impending surgery is really playing with my emotions. It's like knowing I am going to be hit by a bus on Thursday. The reaction I get from a lot of people is pretty negative. "You are having ANOTHER surgery?" "Why would you want to do that?"

I actually had someone tell me yesterday that they worked for a person who had the same procedure, but they don't work for her anymore... since she never was able to return to work... couldn't afford her house... sold it .... moved to a cheaper area down south...and is permanently disabled...and she was only 46 years old.

Gee, just the story I was hoping to here. I guess she just blurted it out before she had a chance to think about how it would make me feel. So Monty, your response is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Holly
    * Why does the song "I will Survive" keep playing in my head?

Old 03-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #14
    neckhurtin
    (female)

neckhurtin HB User

////////////////////

Last edited by neckhurtin; 10-17-2008 at 09:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #15
    purpletrail
    (female)

purpletrail HB User

Thanks so much for the positive story. If I could comfortably sit through one of my son's basketball or soccer games, I would be so happy. I also had to give up gymnastics coaching and judging. If I could get back to some of those activities, that would just be a bonus.

Holly

Closed Thread