It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Nerve Pain And Burning Leg Sensation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
    JIDI
    (male)

JIDI HB User
    Question Nerve Pain And Burning Leg Sensation

I have damage to my sciatic nerve which causes severe burning in my leg --- from hip to toes. Had a successful laminectedy to free pressure on nerve a year ago. Pressure on nerve was relieved but the damage to the nerve is still there. Have had shots to relieve back pain, which worked. Had shots for burning which did not work. Currently taking neurontin and lyrica. I alternate them depending on whether I will be needing a clear head for the next 8 hours or so. Neurontin if not, lyrica if so. I do this to limit use of lyrica due to the expense.
    The burning gets worse with activity, to the point where I have to stop and rest for a while --- sometimes for a day.
    Will this ever go away?? Is there a better treatment?? Will exercise help??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Re: Nerve Pain And Burning Leg Sensation

I can only tell you from my experience, that I have not found anything to help. I take the Neurontin and get 100% relief from it and have been taking it for 2 years now. I too had the lami. when I was fused, but I had permanent nerve damage, since I went too long before having the surgery. The Neurosurgeon told me, prior to the surgery, that depending on how long I had gone with the sciatica nerve being pinched, I may end up with permanent damage. I just recently forgot to fill my script in time and went severaly days w/o it and after a couple of days, the burning pain from to[ of leg to the feet came back with vengance. So, I know that w/ the med, I feel nothing, but w/o it I have the same pain, but wth a worse intensity.

I wish you all the best and if you learn anything, please post it.

Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:10 AM   #3
    JIDI
    (male)

JIDI HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Nerve Pain And Burning Leg Sensation

Thanks for your response.
    How much neurontin do you take?? For me, at 1800mg/day, it just makes the burning bearable, but it's still always there and gets worse with almost any activity. Also, I don't like the side effects of neurontin, especially if I have a drink or two in the evening.
    Have you tried Lyrica?

Old 03-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Wink Re: Nerve Pain And Burning Leg Sensation

Neurontin is the 1st thing I tried and it has always worked, so I have not needed to try to Lyrica yet. I have heard that some do better than others, with Neurontin.

I am up to the 1800 mg. as well, but I have had to gradually go up and I know eventually I will need to increase it.

I did learn, from here on the boards, that for best results and the least amount of side affects, you needed to have started Neurontin at a very small amount and slowly increase it. Even if it means you don't get the full benefit at the beginning. So, I did take that route and I have not had any side affects. Did you start with a larger dose? Do you have a Dr. that is working to find the right combo. that will work for you? I don't know if it would make a differenece, but if you are trying to get off of the Lyrica due to the cost, maybe your Dr. could take you back to a lower dosage of neurontin, just until you get use to the side affects and then increase it little by little. I know it will be difficult, if it means you are in more pain, but in the long run, perhaps you can go on just the Neurontin.

I wish you the best.

Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lfoster21; 03-04-2008 at 01:52 PM.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
    JIDI
    (male)

JIDI HB User
    Angry Re: Nerve Pain And Burning Leg Sensation

I've been on neurontin for a year --- did increase it gradually. Been on lyrica for 6 mos, with the neurontin. My doctor agreed to the dosage --- apparently it just doesn't work as much for me. It helps some but as soon as I do much at all in terms of activity, I might as well not be taking it.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Wink Re: Nerve Pain And Burning Leg Sensation

That is such a shame. I was wondering if the Lycrica works and it is just the cost, have you looked into the PPA to get free medications? I don't know your situation, but I have been able to get meds. for free, for both myself and my daughter. The PPA website will find the various agencies that have free or reduced meds. and then will tell you which ones you qualify for. they do go on an income level type of thing, but it is definatly worth looking into. Just about every pharmecutical company offers their meds for free or on a sliding scale for those who can not afford it. You can also go onto a specific pharmecutical website and then search for "reduced cost" etc.

If I think of any other suggestions, I will let you know.

Lorie

Last edited by lfoster21; 03-04-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:49 AM   #7
    JIDI
    (male)

JIDI HB User
    Re: Nerve Pain And Burning Leg Sensation

I wouldn't qualify. I plan to get a second opinion, but from all I've read, I don't expect much to change -- just have to change my lifestyle a bit.

Closed Thread