It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• pain down my arm and across shoulders

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
    eveamber
    (female)

eveamber HB User
    pain down my arm and across shoulders

I have pain down my left arm and across shoulder blade, plus tingling in my hand, and some time pins and needles in my hand too. I have had a frozen shoulder on my right side before, but the symptoms were not like this, although the pain down my arm is similar. Does any one have any idea what it could be please?

Last edited by eveamber; 03-09-2008 at 09:45 AM. Reason: more info added

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User
    Re: pain down my arm and across shoulders

Are you suffering from any kind of burning sensation in you arm or shoulder area? Also do you have any type of skin discoloration, like is you skin real red looking? Does your arm feel cold to the touch even though it might have a warm feeling it? Have you ever been checked out by a neurologist or had any MRI's done of the neck and spinal area? I know these are a lot of questions but you could be suffering from anything from a pinched nerve, bad disc or some type of other spinal issue.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
    eveamber
    (female)

eveamber HB User

No skin discolouration, no reddening, the shoulder feels like its in a vice, I have taken Ibuprofen but it hardly touches it, have booked an appointment with GP but its not till the end of the week, thank you for your reply.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
    patti23
    (female)

patti23 HB User

Hi,
    This may be a dumb question, but what does redness or discoloration of the skin mean? The front of my neck and throat has been red for a number of years and no one seems to know why.

Patti

Old 03-11-2008, 07:16 AM   #5
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Patti, do you have any type of pain along with the redness in your neck and throat? The pain would like a throbbing or stabbing and burning in the area that is red.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Eve, do you have problems with raising your arm over your head. Like does it hurt real bad when you do?

Old 03-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
    patti23
    (female)

patti23 HB User

Yes I do have pain. I was seeing a chiro for 15 weeks. Not much improvement. He sent me for a mri. I have a herniated disc at c2 & . Mild disc bulges at c5 & c6. A bone spur and mild spondylsis (sp?) My gp sent me to a neuro surgeon when he read the results. The surgeon left it up to me if I want to have surgery or not. I opted not to, because other than being somewhat uncomfortable he said my plugged ears were not caused by the herniated disc, which my chiro claims is. I have stopped seeing the chiro beause I'm afraid it might do more damage than good. My plugged ears drive me crazy. The front of my neck is always bright red and feels cold to the touch. Everyone things I've been tanning and got burned. No one doctor seems to be concerned over this disc herniation even though I have read that a disc herniation at this level is rare. Headaches have become a daily event for me.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Patti, what kind of surgery did he want to do? I curious about the red spot on your neck which you said felt cold to the neck. I suffere from a nerve condition called Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. The redness and the cold to the touch are some of the symptoms of RSD. Also there is pain like a throbbing or stabbing pain like a toothache and also a burning sensation. If your curious about this condition there is a Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy board and at the top is a list of the symptoms. I'm not saying that you have it but it worth checking out if you have the type of pain and burning I mentioned.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
    eveamber
    (female)

eveamber HB User

I would like to thank every one for their replies, have seen the doctor who says I have a trapped nerve in my neck, thus the pins and needles, he thinks it will be at least 4 weeks before I get any relief, have been prescribed some non steriod anti imflamatory drugs and some gentle exercises.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

If you don't find releif in the next four weeks you may want to ask for an MRI and a referral to an orthopedic spine surgeon or neurosurgeon. I waited a bit too long with my neck/arm pain and wish I had moved faster when I didn't get relief in the first 4-6 weeks after the pain started.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #11
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Eve, I glad to hear they have found the problem and I hope you get better.

Closed Thread