It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Will they have to shave my hair?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
    murphmom
    (female)

murphmom HB User
    Unhappy Will they have to shave my hair?

I am scheduled for surgery in a couple of weeks. I do not see the Dr.again until 4/14. They are doing two incisions , one in front to put in a new bone at c3-4 and then they will flip me over to put in a plate at c3-4.

I already have an anterior plate at three levels, that is why they are putting in the next plate in back so they do not disturb the exisiting plate.

Does anyone know if they will have to shave the back of my head to access
    c3-4? I know this seems like a silly question but if you are female I am sure you understand. Just to let you know ;

I had a myelogram and the findings were;

*Anterior cervical fusion at C4 to C7 with pseudarthrosis at C6-7.
    *Severe disc dedgenerative change at C3-4 with retrolisthesis. There is a disc bulge and spur with central focality. There is moderate to severe central canal stenosis with mild flattening of the cord.
    *Multilevel spur and ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament behind the fusion at C4 to C7. There is effacement of the thecal sac and spinal cord, most marked at C5

Has anyone else had a similar surgery? Any input would really be appreciated as I do have to admit I am a little scared!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: Will they have to shave my hair?

I'm guessing they will have to shave a small portion of hair given the level of the posterior surgery.

Please tell me about your myelogram. I'm in a similar situation (prior ACDF) and now with symptoms that may be at the same level (C6-7) and a new level (C3-4) but the MRI wasn't definitive enough. I will be having a CT myelogram in the next few weeks (going to be scheduled with the facility some time this week) and am very anxious to hear about your experience.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
    murphmom
    (female)

murphmom HB User

Hi AZ, Thanks for the info. My myleogram was easy. I just had a very mild headache for a couple of hours. I just laid down the rest of the day as I was advised. The report showed more info then the MRI did. My othro wants to do surgery due to the inpingment to the spinal cord.

I hope yours goes well. It only took 2 hours total (15 minutes for the whole procedure) the rest was for prep and recovery! Let me know how you are doing.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:42 AM   #4
    purpletrail
    (female)

purpletrail HB User

I had C3-7 posterior fusion 3 weeks ago. They shaved the back of my neck up to a line that was level with about the middle of my ear. My hair above that line does fall over the incision and covers it, since my hair is shoulder length. The appearance is that my hair is a little thinner than normal.

I would ask your surgeon about this, since I have heard of others where the surgeon shaved all hair that would hang in his way, which would be pretty traumatic to wake up to if you didn't expect it. Yikes!!

I asked my neurosurgeon about it before surgery and he said that he liked to pin my hair up and then only shave what was around the C3 level and lower. He also mentioned that if it was really long, he would braid it out of the way. I thought that was a caring thing to do for a patient, especially by a neurosurgeon. He mentioned that he has daughters, so he does know how to braid hair and why cut what he doesn't need to cut.

This sentiment showed me that he did care about his patients and even helped me to make the decision to work with him. Not that hair is all that important, but at least he understood how someone would feel to wake up from surgery and also have to deal with a loss of hair situation.

Holly

Closed Thread