It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Weight Gain Post ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
    Payton02
    (female)

Payton02 HB User
    Weight Gain Post ACDF

I had acdf of c6/7 in February 2007. Since that time, I have gained over 20 lbs. I work out four to five times per week, and watch what I eat. I didn't pay much attention to the weight gain during the weeks following surgery as I suspected it was from being sedentary during my recovery. However, I have gained additional weight during the last six months or so. I had my thyroid checked at the end of October, and the results were normal. I'm really having a hard time getting rid of the weight and was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: Weight Gain Post ACDF

The only time I've gained weight was with the steroid injections in my neck. Last Fall I had a series of three ESI and for the first time they made me gain weight.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User
    Re: Weight Gain Post ACDF

Hi Payton,
    Any chance you've gained muscle weight? I put on 20 pounds also, but not post-acdf --prior to both my upcoming surgeries when I moved into 'sludgedom' and a total lack of activity from the pain. I know mine is NOT muscle, but yours might be since you're post-op and working out so much now.., maybe at least some it? If it's not muscle, you've haven't changed any habits, and your thyroid checks out, it could still be some other kind of metabolic issue --or Seinfeld's low-fat muffins (they weren't really low-fat, falsely advertised, if I remember correctly, and Elaine gained weight for no reason b/c she didn't know they were so much higher in calories than they said they were). Hidden calories can be a real possibility, esp if you eat out (restaurants, imo, are notorious for hiding far more calories in their food then it seems they ought to have... even salads). But, other metabolic issues are a real possibility, too. I'd check back in with your doctor to try to figure this out. And, good luck!
    Meghan

Closed Thread