It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• What is considered 'normal' for the incision line after surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2008, 04:37 AM   #1
    tyleza
    (female)

tyleza HB User
    What is considered 'normal' for the incision line after surgery?

My post-op instructions say "Call your doctor if any bleeding, unusual odor, pus, redness or swelling at incision line." (I had a discectomy and fusion - C5/C6)

How would I know what is considered 'normal' redness and swelling?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: What is considered 'normal' for the incision line after surgery?

A little redness is expected. If you find your incision growing more painful, red , and if it swells you will know. What should happen is each day it should start looking like it is making healing progress like turning from red to pink over time, some of it will begin to scab. You probably have stitches and it will start feeling "tight" as it heals. If all of a sudden you start getting any oozing out of spots that weren't previously there - call the doc. Around the ends where they probably had the drains in right after surgery are spots that might take a little longer to heal.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
    tyleza
    (female)

tyleza HB User
    Re: What is considered 'normal' for the incision line after surgery?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neckpatient View Post
    A little redness is expected. If you find your incision growing more painful, red , and if it swells you will know. What should happen is each day it should start looking like it is making healing progress like turning from red to pink over time, some of it will begin to scab. You probably have stitches and it will start feeling "tight" as it heals. If all of a sudden you start getting any oozing out of spots that weren't previously there - call the doc. Around the ends where they probably had the drains in right after surgery are spots that might take a little longer to heal.
    Now I have a 'baseline' to work with. Thank you very much.

Closed Thread