It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• The plan.....posterior cervical foraminotomy 5/22

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Cool The plan.....posterior cervical foraminotomy 5/22

After a CT, MRI, EMG and CT Myelogram the results show impingement of the nerve (left at C6) so I'm going forward with the foraminotomy on 05/22/08. I did ESI's in November and December which gave no relief. So my options were to continue on pain meds and try the injections again in June or do the surgery. There's also some bone spurring that will be removed as well.

I'm a bit apprehensive as I know the posterior approach will be more painful than the ACDF (which I found relatively low on the surgical pain scale).

Wish me luck.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
    Re: The plan.....posterior cervical foraminotomy 5/22

SpineAZ,

I hope that this will finally give you some relief!!!

I had the Posterior foraminotomy at C 3-4 and C 4-5 in on Jan-8. My chain of events are a bit backwards from yours meaning that I had the foraminotomy and now I may be going in to have an ADR, or ACDF.

The surgery was very very painful for me. I was taken care of in the hospital for about 2 nights and they medicated me really well. I had Demoral that was in my IV drip all the time and I had a Pain Pump that had Demoral in it that I could press every 6 minutes and the time to press was gradually uped to 10, 15, 20, 30 and then off the pump. As well as all of that I also recieved oral pain meds and muscel relaxers and valium. I was well medicated. I also have a very low tolerance to the pain and need alot of medication to get it under control.

Make sure you speak with your doc about the post op pain meds if it is a concern for you. I am sure that it will set your mind at ease.

The srugen said that the operation went well. When I came out of the surgery I did have some nurological issues with my left hand and arm such as, my fingers did not want to cooperate with my brain telling them to do things like grip a cup or close my fingers in a fist, and I could not lift my arm up past breast-height. This is common he said, and it did resolve over the first 24 hours post op.

Please feel free to ask me any other questions if you would like. I will write your surgery date on my calendar and be praying for you to have a safe and speedy recovery.
    God Bless,
    Chrissy

Last edited by skych; 04-24-2008 at 06:55 AM.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I am soooooooooooo glad you responded. You are the one person I've seen on the board who has had the posterior cervical foraminotomy. If it's any consoliation I found the ACDF relatively low pain in terms of surgical pain. I know this posterior one will be more painful but I am going to make sure they throw every med at me they can. Keep an eye out for my post-surgery posts - I will probably need you to help me through.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

SpineAZ,

No problem.

I will be here.

Today I had a really bad day. It seems like I have just been really tired and in so much pain lately. I did see my PM today and I went especially to ask to go back up on my meds. He agreed and all is good there. I think it will just take a day to get my body accustomed to the higher dosage again.

I have been feeling very emotional latley and just paln tired of the viscious pain cycle. I posted about it in the PM forum.

Anyway, I will be checking both topic areas and I did write on my calendar the date of your surgery so I wont forget.
    Talk at you soon

Chrissy

Old 04-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
    bozzie
    (male)

bozzie HB User

Hi everyone!

I had a cervical laminectomy (c-3 thru c-6) three years ago. I also had foraminotomies on two levels on the right side at the same time. I went home from the hospital the next day. The pain was pretty bad. I had a hernia operation a few years before this that was more painful ( there are a lot of muscles in the mid section that you take for granted). It wasn't as bad as I was thinking. You will do fine. Put your trust in your surgeon! All you have to do is show up! Try not to worry too much.

Good luck!

Bozzie

Old 04-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks. I am a bit nervous since the ACDF wasn't painful but I anticipate the posterior foraminotomy will be.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
    elle45
    Veteran
    (female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

I had a posterior laminectomy four days ago. The pain I was experiencing before seems to be better, however my neck is hurting and very stiff. I know this is to be expected, my question is what kind of pains should I expect and for how long will it likely last. I know what my Dr. Says but I would love some input from people who have lived through it.

Last edited by elle45; 04-27-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Elle:

Please let me know how your recovery goes! For my ACDF I was out of workf or 6 weeks, I'm not sure how long this posterior cervical foraminotomy will keep me out.

How long did you remain the hospital? Any tips or information you can share would be appreciated.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

I had posterior laminectomy C4_C7 two and a half years ago. It was my first major surgery but I didn't think it was so bad. My husband had to help me dress and shower for the first week because I couldn't totally lift my arms but that quickly resolved itself. I was back to work part time in three weeks but I didn't drive for about two months.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #10
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sunshine:

Thanks. I'm going to plan on 4 weeks off full time at least. The good thing is I can work at home some - but if I have to go to the office I dread lifting the laptop to do so. My boss has been great and told me to plan on 4-8 weeks off, depending on what Short Term Dis will approve. The ACDF was relatively easy and from everything I've read the posterior approach is more painful due to muscles, etc.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:36 AM   #11
    elle45
    Veteran
    (female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

I was only in the hospital over night. I took my first shower 2 days after op, but couldn't lift my arms to wash my hair. I can only manage button down shirts so far (5days since op). I'm already going stir crazy and can't wait until I can drive.

Closed Thread