It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Can anybody help me with these MRI results?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
    KMQL1974
    (female)

KMQL1974 HB User
    Can anybody help me with these MRI results?

I just got some MRI results and as far as I can tell, it looks like everything was good (from what I can understand). I have been having problems with low back pain (very stiff) and times during the day (while carrying my kids) that I suddenly get a horrible, sharp pain that stops me in my tracks and I have to wait it out before I can move again. My neck keeps getting thrown out as well where I can't turn my head and I have been getting awful headaches. Anyway, here are the results:

LUMBAR:
    Lumbar vertabral body height, signal and alignment appear within normal limits. Relative decreased signal within substances of L 4-5 and L5-S1 is compatible with disc dessication developing.

Conus is felt to be in normal position

On axial sequences, spine is tilted to the left. There are areas of hyperintense signal in posterior soft tissue most at the lumbosacral area which could reflect a degree of atrophic change but no abnormal mass is seen.

At L 3-4 no focal disc protrusion

at L 4-5 there is a very small central disc protrusion

at L5-S1 there is a mild central bulge

There is no impingement on exiting nerves or significant asymmetry

Impression: no focal disc protrusion, cord stenosis, cord lesion or other definite lumbar spine abnormality identified.

CERVICAL:
    craniocervical junction appears within normal limits

vertebral body heights are preserved. There is a straigtened appearance through C% but alignment is maintained.

no abnormal focal cord lesion is seen

canal is not stenotic

there are mild bulges at C 3-4, C 4-5 and C 5-6 but at no level does one seem larger focal disc protrusion distorting cord.

there is no significant neural foraminal encroachment or appreciable asymmetry

Impression: no focal disc protrusion, cord stenosis, cord lesion or other definite cervical spine abnormality identified.

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 06:53 AM   #2
    KMQL1974
    (female)

KMQL1974 HB User
    Re: Can anybody help me with these MRI results?

anyone?

Old 04-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
    erin72
    (female)

erin72 HB User

KMQL1974,

I know how terrifying it is to have "something wrong" but yet there isn't something glaringly obvious! Many of us on this site have experienced this to one degree or another. I read through your MRI results and I've had many MRI's myself, too many!!

From my own experience, and I'm only 1 opinion, it sounds like you have a slight protusion from three disks in your neck. Stenosis or stenotic is when the disks push on your spinal cord. It sounds to me like this is not happening, which is good. I know sometimes deep down inside, you would almost rather hear that the news is something whether it be good or bad, just something!! If your mostly experiencing pain when you move, pick up the kids or other strenuous actions you might have a pinched peripheral nerve where the pain is originating. Those are the nerves that come out from the spinal cord inbetween your vertabra (the bones) of your spine. Whatever the etiology of your symptoms, go with your intuition. I came to this site in the beginning for affirmation of my 'gut feelings' about problems that I was having. It was as if I needed permission to be concerned and tell other people, mostly my doctors about it. If you feel like "something is wrong", most likely there is. It took me many months to determine what was wrong with me but I had to be my own advocate! The doctors won't pursue unless you tell them too! Crazy but true! Go with your instinct! Good luck!

Old 04-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
    KMQL1974
    (female)

KMQL1974 HB User

Erin..thank you so much for replying! I was really hoping the MRI would be able to tell me something because I would love something to be able to help. I have had problems with my back and neck since I was 10 (I am now 33) and when I was 21 it got worse when I was in a nasty head on collision. I have done years of chiro treatments that only last as long as I go 3X a week, I can't do that now with a toddler and newborn.

Anyway, thanks again!

Old 05-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
    erin72
    (female)

erin72 HB User

Hi, I was just reading this again. Some MRI machines are better than others. The quality of the picture it portrays can be the machines ability. I had a CT scan which eventually gave the docs a better picture of my problems. Maybe you might want to ask your doc about doing a CT scan or using a higher resolution mri machine...good luck!
    Erin~

Old 05-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
    KMQL1974
    (female)

KMQL1974 HB User

Thanks Erin! I have an appointment next week with a new PM doctor who is supposed to be GREAT! Hopefully he will get some answers for me

BTW - my newborn is named Erin

Old 05-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #7
    erin72
    (female)

erin72 HB User

Good luck! Keep us posted!!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Being a patient with 2 lumbar multi -levels fusions I can tell you that your MRI looks really good. I don't know how old you are but based on research most humans develop DDD (degenerative disk disease), Stenosis, arthrities as early as 25, depends on a person; sometimes even earlier than that.

I wonder what is your DR has to say about it, but based on my own experience i can tell you that no major problems on this test can be seeing.

Best of luck to you; continue to maintain a healthy spine!

Old 05-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
    KMQL1974
    (female)

KMQL1974 HB User

Well, I just got back from the new PM doctor and I loved him. He said my neck MRI looks good and that my back has some issues he would like to address later after we deal with my headaches. He listened and examined me and says I have "facet point syndrome" (not sure if I got that right). Anyway, I am going in next week for facet point injections so hopefully they will help! I am very eager for my back to feel better too.....carrying my kids is really taking a toll. I feel so old and I am only 33!

Thanks again!

Closed Thread