It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Post ACDF muscle relaxers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
    Post ACDF muscle relaxers

For those of you who have had ACDF, I am wondering how long you took muscle relaxers for after your surgery. I am about 14 weeks out, and I am finding that I still need them daily (I have Soma). My worst pain comes when I am sitting at my desk, so I need them when I am at work, not so much on the weekends. When I get massage in my upper back, between the shoulder blades, the muscles there are extremely painful. And, usually By the end of the day at work I feel like my back is on fire. It is totally different from the stabbing pain I felt before surgery. That is gone (thankfully). I'm just wondering if what I am experiencing is abnormal. I plan to call my doctor tomorrow, but I would appreciate any feedback you can give me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User
    Re: Post ACDF muscle relaxers

I took Flexerill for 8 days after my ACDF. I needed it longer, but was afraid it was cause or part of the cause of symptoms I was having, so I went off it (and all else, too). I feel as if I could have used it 2 weeks (I'm 3 weeks on Friday), maybe a little more -had I not been afraid of the possible connection to my symptoms. I haven't returned to 'regular life' yet, so I don't know how bad I'd feel if I was back to my regular days --if I'd want to restart meds to get by or not. I have had sharp pains between my shoulder blades and upper back/neck area since my surgery, but am not as far out as you are. I do sit at our computer desk off meds at this point (less than 3 weeks out). It's not for a full day, of course.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

It wouldn't be uncommon to take them longer. It also wouldn't be unusual for you to experience occassional spasms years after your surgery. Once you get cleared get into PT and try strengthing your neck muscles. Your body needs to adjust to the different posture caused by fixing your neck and the forced alignment from the fusion. For some this goes completely away by end of six months, others by end of first year, and then still for others it takes longer.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
    poopoopadoop
    (female)

poopoopadoop HB User

Hi,
    I had ACDF C5-6 a year ago. I took pain meds for 3 weeks. Nothing after that (til recently). Anyway, I think ACDF is major surgery and it is totally reasonable to take muscle relaxants or pain meds for a while. I don't think there should be a "rush" to be off at a certain point.

GOod luck,
    Lisa

Closed Thread