It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• New and need help with Cervical MRL, please, please.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
    Linda100
    (female)

Linda100 HB User
    New and need help with Cervical MRL, please, please.

This will be a long one. First My name is Linda and I am from Florida. anything for Pain. I have been through heck with my
    Lumbar and I still have a bunch og damage there, but now Neck is killing me!
    I have tried to ignore it for a few years but just to type this is killing my arms and hands. I just got my MRI Report and Have not seen the Pain Doctor yet.
    So here goes I will type it all out, (I Hope !)

Findings:
    The Alignment is Slightly Abnormal Now with a grade1 Retrolisthesis at C4-5. This is a new finding. Dorsal annular fissure and hypertense on this clearly demonstrated within the C3-4 disc which is a new finding as well and potentialy could be a source of discogenic pain. Minimal dorsal hypertense zones are seen within C4-5 through C6-7 levels as well. Disc space narrowing is found at C6-7 definitely and also to some degree C5-6. There are no discrete vertebral or cord lesions otherwise though there are some degenerative endplate changes which are now new at C5-6 and C6-7 all indicative of progressive degenrative disc disease.

At C3-4, there is a posterior central Protruding disc herniation which again abuts the cord. The cord is not significantly deformed but slightly flattened as seen before as well. The mid canal sagittal diameter is about 9 mm with very mild spinal stenosis change.

At C4-5, posterior central disc herniation again indents the cord slightly. Spinal stenosis changes with the mid canal sagittal diameter of 7-8 mm again is demonstrated and this is a stable finding.

C5-6 again shows bilateral uncovertebral joint spurring with some degerative bulging causing cord flattening. The mid canal sagital diameter at this level is about 10 mm with borderline to mild stenosis present.

C6-7 there are new findings. Prominent left sided spurring from the uncovertebral joint now causes compression of the left C7 root which is a new finging. There is probably some mild cord compression as well and the mid canal sagittal diameter is about 11 mm though without overt mid canal sagittal stenosis.

Impression:
    Overall, Progressive disc disease changes are found with persistent stenosis, a fairly mild degree at C3-4, C4-5, and C5-6. however, there is markedly progresive left bony forminal stenosis at C6-7.

Wow! that was a lot for someone who has to type with a couple of fingers!!

What does all of this mean? and will I need surgery?
    and will I cause more Damage if I ignore all of this and try to go as long as I can with out Surgery.
    I am having so much pain now down my left arm the most but down both as well and the burning across my shoulders.
    for about a year now I thought I was going to need surgery on my right shoulder but now I think it is from my neck. as the days it does not hurt, it feels completely fine but then the next thing I know it is killing me.
    my trisept and elbow gets muscle spasums all the time on my left arm and my ring finger and the middle finger get shooting pains as well as numbness.
    Okay this is what I have now help me understand all of this please..
    Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
    rose4me
    (female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User
    Re: New and need help with Cervical MRL, please, please.

Hi Linda
    I too have issues in the c5/c6 ... herniation to the left c5 and a mild tear c/6. this is from a side impact auto accident aug/07. i have issues with cubital tunnel (funny bone nerve) and shoulder/tri cep spasms. have had ulnar nerve transposition on left elbow and guyons canal release on left wrist (surgery 2/26/08) . ulnar nerve originates in the lower c spine and top of the t spine. Part of diagnosis for me is severe whiplash among other things. my aches and pains are relatively new compared to others on these boards.
    My occupational therapist, for elbow and wrist has felt all along that the spasms in the triceps and unhealing pain and numbness, in little fingers on both hands and ring fingers are somehow part of the neck pain.
    I had the second cervical ESI this past friday. It is my hope, that it will help the neck to heal and the spasms, numbness and etc to abate.
    since you are dealing with central nervous systems and are experiencing your symptoms that seem to be classic ones, any advice from your neuro or spine doctor/pain management doc would be worth evaluating or acting on.
    It is easy for someone not in pain to say it will be alright, and quite another for someone who knows what you are experiencing to say, pay attention, you will be your best advocate.
    best of everything to you.
    Rose Marie

Old 05-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
    elle45
    Veteran
    (female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

Hi Linda,
    Wow! That was a lot to type, also a lot of problems. I can't relate with all of that, however I can relate to your arm, shoulder, and neck pain. I had a herniation between c6-c7 causing significant pain.
    I went to several Dr's before getting this diagnosis I had shots in my neck,(no help) I had physical therapy (no help) Pain meds, Muscle relaxers, anti inflamatories,(no help). Finally a week and a half ago I had surgery and woke up from it with NO PAIN.
    I had a posterior lamenectomy no fusion. I don't know if this is similar to what you need but if it is I wouldn't be to quick to rule out surgery. You have been in pain too long. Good Luck

Old 05-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
    Linda100
    (female)

Linda100 HB User

Thank you both for the replys,
    I have been having both leg cramping in the calfs and the thigh muscles.
    and my feet have been getting all kinds of cramps and tingling.both legs feel so tired and weak like if I had just ran a mile. from my hips to my feet.

I did Talk with my PM doctor on 4/29/08..
    He said I was showing classic cord syptoms and that he wants to send me to a NS.. but I asked him to try the ESI on 5/12/08 first to see if it will help some with the swelling and pain. he did put me on advinza 30mg a day, it has helped just a tad, but it sure is better then nothing;0)

The Doctor said my pain should be on the left only but I swear my right arm is hurting just as bad. and my right leg is just as bad???
    this stuff just scares the crap out of me.

I have had 4 lamanectoies in my Lumbar area but no fusions on them.
    so I was not as scared.
    But my neck scares me to let them mess with it!!
    thanks again,
    mabe the neck patient can ring in here and help me she
    seams to really know her stuff...

Last edited by Linda100; 05-04-2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: I left something out.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
    PhilPhan
    (male)

PhilPhan HB User

Linda,
    your symps. sound like mine. Neck , shoulder, forearm , hand. I've been putting up w/ it for yrs. had trigger point inj's. , epidurals, therapy. all to no avail.
    have been trying to avoid surgery, but technolgy has changed over the years. My wife had a lumbar lam. 2 yrs. ago this month. She is doing great. Goes to Gym, rides bike. Shops!
    I'm going in fri. for ACDF. I'll let you know.
    Wish you well.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
    Linda100
    (female)

Linda100 HB User

Philphan,
    Good luck with your surgery. I will keep you in my prayers.
    I have had 4 lamies in the Lumbar area also. it is bad and I have been ignoring
    the neck pain while getting Spinal cord stimulators put in and taking out of my Lumbar. (My Body Rejected the darn thing. after a year and a half of non healing and 3 revisions they had to take it out after the power box split my skin and came out of me. yep I could see the whole thing one morning and had to have emerg surgery to get it out. I have this DDD in my whole Lumbar also.
    I knew my neck was getting bad! but i just kept pushing through it and the doctors do not know how to multi task if it killed them, each time i would complain about some pain or nerv pain from my neck he would change the subject to my Lumbar. but all of a suden my neck got so bad ,I told him we had to address it no matter what.
    So I had the MRI done.

he wants me to see a NS, but I want to try the ESI first onthe 12th..
    if no help then I will go to the NS, I just do not like their bedside manners.
    We only have 3 real good ones here and they all think they are GOD??
    so they are my last resort.

but I am getting more and more spinal cord syptoms every day...
    Good luck to you and I will be watching for your post.

Closed Thread