It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Always Get A Second Opinion!!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
    braveneck
    (male)

braveneck HB User
    Always Get A Second Opinion!!!!!!

Six months ago I cancelled an ACDF fusion surgery for my neck. A lady friend had cautioned me saying that it would lead to other surgeries. Sure enough, when I researched it I found that,"Acceleration of disc degeneration at adjacent levels in 67% of patients."
    The surgeon said that, "Well, those discs would probably have blown out anyway."
    I thought yeah right.

So, I finally got my second opinion just an hour ago. Whew am I glad I didn't do the ACDF! The doctor today said, "Your spine is in good shape. You have the normal changes that we all go through with aging. I would never do an ACDF on you. We'll try injections, and if that doesn't work I would recommend a foraminotomy for the pinched nerve."
    He said further that unless there is instability in the spine there is no reason for a fusion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
    poopoopadoop
    (female)

poopoopadoop HB User
    Re: Always Get A Second Opinion!!!!!!

That is great news! I agree that it is so important to get multiple opinions and be informed.

Take care,
    Lisa

Old 05-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

In many ways I agree....I had a first class neurosurgeon and a first class orthopedic spine surgeon both tell me I needed a C5-C7 ACDF. I knew it was the right treatment option when I had two different physicians telling me the same thing. I am so glad I had the ACDF, it made a world of difference.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
    AlanVA
    (male)

AlanVA HB User

two years ago I had a surgeon tell me I needed an ACDF but I had more pain issues and problems with L5 that I wanted to address first and then worry about the cervical discs. At the time, the doc seemed to think it was fairly urgent to do the ACDF but last week after another mri - he said it looks like the discs have probably dried up a bit and the need for an ACDF is not as urgent as it was and we should just keep an eye on it. he did venture to say at some point, I'll probably need to have it done but it doesn't look as serious in his opinion at this time.

Suppose things could have gone the other way and it could have been worse but in this case, I was glad I decided to wait.

They still can't do much for my back and I just got shot up with several injections into L4 and L5 area so my back and butt are hurting at the moment. I would have gone home but my office is 10 minutes away from the doc's office and it was easier to come back to my office than sit in rush hour traffic for an hour+ in order to go home.

That, and I'm the boss so no one is going to say anything if I plop myself in front of my desk and put my feet up on the desk and occupy myself with email for a little while until the traffic is better.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:59 AM   #5
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
    Smile Re: Always Get A Second Opinion!!!!!!

That's wonderful that you're doing so well and surgery wasn't necessary. Second opinions are definitely advisable. Thanks for sharing your story!

~ Fiona

Closed Thread