It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Posterior cervical foraminotomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
    braveneck
    (male)

braveneck HB User
    Posterior cervical foraminotomy?

I just got a second opinion doc who wants to do a PCF.
    I chickened out on an ACDF in January.

I've read the PCF posts, all of them. Seems to have mixed reviews. Anybody know the success rate for PCF?

Is it true that the folks who have trouble are here and not the successes?

Apparently first lady Laura Bush had a PCF that was said to be very successful.

My main problem is a pinched nerve due to foraminal narrowing. The doc said that my spine is good, normal degeneration of discs for my age. He said that there would be no reason to do a fusion in my case, and was very critical of the first doctor who wanted to do the ACDF.

I've had neck pain for over ten years. I have to try not to turn my head to the right. I haven't been able to go to the gym for years, because AWFUL pain would occur. I can't even do some lousy pushups and I used to bench 250(I'm not bragging, I'm just pointing out how I can't do anything anymore).
    Although, my pain does not go into my arms, does not affect my legs or bladder. It's a sharp pain that comes and goes, sometimes goes into my right shoulder, and also causes headaches. I guess that it flares about once a week pretty badly, worse in cold weather, and worse when I am stressed and tense. It's altered my life significantly. Now my only exercise is to walk around the hood like an old man. At 40 I was a gym rat and in magnificent shape. Oh well.

I would love to be able to workout again. My only fear is that I might come out of the PCF worse and have even more pain.

And some people hint that the PCF might cause future instability.

I would love to hear from people who've had the PCF and how it worked out for them.

I do have a lack of trust toward surgeons in general...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
    Re: Posterior cervical foraminotomy?

Hi braveneck,

I feel the same way as you!!! You stated..It has altered my life significantly.

I have posted my story of how I came about having the neck problems and chronic pain in the Pain management area.

I don't know if you have read any of my posts that were about PCF. I had mine done in Jan of this year. It was done at C 3-4 and C 4-5. My neuro said that this would only address some of the issues that I had going on in my neck. He told me right from the beginging that in order to address the other issues he would have to do an ACDF or and ADR (artifical Disk replacement)

Right after the PCF I felt a really good and it had releived my some of the pain. Unfortunately about 3 weeks post op, I started to have an increase in my pain. I actually feel worse. I do not think I feel worse because of the PCF. I believe that I feel worse from the other issues going on in there.

I have since the surgery in Jan had a round of facet blocks that did not help. I continue to be in severe pain and I recently underwent a diskogram. That was a very very painful, but much needed medical test.
    The test comfirmed the bulging disks and revealed there are some tears and some fissureing of the disks. Where I go from here I do not know yet. I will see the Neuro Surgeon on May 23 and then I will post and let everyone know what is next if anything.

I do think that there are more people on the boards that have problems as apposed to the ones who are total success rates because they are no longer needing support so they are not posting. There are a few of successes around.

Right now I feel like you. I was walking and hikking 14-20 miles a week before this car accident and the neck injury. I am normally a very active person. I love to be outdoors and doing the things I love like swimming, hikking, camping, photography, horsebackriding, boating, jet ski's...ect

I dont do things to the extreem with the boating or jet skiing but slow and easy.

Since my accidnet, I can barley go to school, I cant work. I had started walking again about 6-8 weeks after surgery and even that has now decreased again.
    I am in contant pain and it basically seems never ending sometimes.

I do hold out hope that I will be able to return to a physical life style. There are some things that I still do like photography and fishing, but I have to be really careful about over-doing it. That is the part that is tough because a seeming easy thing such as washing clothes or dishes can sometimes set me off on a huge flare!!

If you have had two conflicting consults about how to treat your neck and it is possible to get another opinion I would do so just to see if another opinion may match or be similar to one of the others. Even if I had to pay it out of my own posket.
    I actually have much of the care for my neck on a lein basis right now because my college decided to change insurance companies right after my Car accident and now the current insurance wont pay.

I certainly hope that you will have some releif soon, an be able to return to your more active lifestyle.
    These are some of my symptoms post-op from the PCF. I used to get this shock of pain that went down my neck and out to the end of my shoulder and that has since disappeared. The degree of myofacial tingling I had over the mid back area has not completely gone away but has decresed slightly, but can still flare. I also would get really bad arm pit burning pain and that has gone almost completely away. It only comes every now and again and is not a constat now. I only have that maybe one time a month and only lasts a few hours.
    I am still left with really bad bad buring and pinching pain in my neck that is a constant, a hot poker feeling that comes and goes just below the base of my neck, and just lateral to my spine, I have arm weakness and heaviness, and burning scapular pain and a few other things but those are the main things.

If you would like to ask me any other things about the actual sergery or anything else let me know. I will be around to support you what ever you do decide to do.

Chrissy

Old 05-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User
    Re: Posterior cervical foraminotomy?

YES YES YES - It is just human nature - those who have had surgery and are fine over time drop off the boards, with a few fine exceptions, it's those of us who have ongoing or recurring issues that hang around..

Closed Thread