It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• MRI Results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-26-2008, 01:26 AM   #1
    littleshelly
    (female)

littleshelly HB User
    MRI Results

I have been having some health issues. One of the tests I have recently had was an MRI of the Brain and neck. The brain was fine but the neck showed some problems and I am not sure what they mean.
    Results
    C1/C2 level small T2 signal seen in the right para-central location which may represent a small synovial cyst.

C5/C6 level there is right para-central disc herniation creating mild right neural foraminal narrowing. Herniation measures 3mm with a suggestion of associated minimal posterior bony spurring.

What prompted me to go to the Dr was that I was having MS type symptoms. That has been ruled out. I believe the MRI findings are probably unrelated to my symptoms that prompted me to go to the Dr. However I do have neck and shoulder pain and a lot of popping and cracking in my neck. I also for years have had a very strange neck symptom. It is a sound in my neck. Like a sizzling sound when you open a can of pop. I can hear it. Like fluid passing through a small opening causing bubbles. It is hard to describe but I wonder if it is related to the cystic type structure they found on the MRI. The impression on the MRI says possible cystic type structure. I would like some advice/opinions on what else it could be. I have not been to a neurosurgeon or anyone for this problem as of yet. My family Dr. ordered the test.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
    Re: MRI Results

Hi Shelley,

Welcome to the boards!

I can't comment on the cystic type structure but I can explain the neural foramina narrowing.

As your spinal cord runs down your back there are nerves that come out of the spine at each level of vertebra. In the cervical spin they run through the neural foramina. Foramin is sort of like a circular opening that the nerves pass through. When the nereves become inflammed this opening becomes tight causeing even more inflammation and thus causeing you pain in your neck and possibly burning pain that may radiate down your arm or arms. Some people have no symptoms and others do have symptoms from the herniations and narrowing of the foramina.

It is interesting that you say you can here a sizzeling sound! When I had a diagnostic test called a Discogram, when they were injecting the fluid into the dics I actually heard something similar to what you explain. Only after I heard the crunchy/sizzel sound it was followed by the recreation of my symptoms.

Anyway I am glad to hear that you do not have MS. I am sure they will send you to someone about the neck issues. I wish you luck with all of that.

If you want more information you can always do a search on the internet for some of the things that are described on you MRI report.

Chrissy

Old 05-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
    littleshelly
    (female)

littleshelly HB User

Hi Chrissy, thank you for your reply. I did a search for the cyst issue and it seems that it is very rare to have that type of cyst in the cervical area. I am going to make an appt. with a neurologist and they should be able to answer some of the questions I have. Thank you again. God Bless.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
    lilydilly
    (female)

lilydilly HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by littleshelly View Post
    I have been having some health issues. One of I also for years have had a very strange neck symptom. It is a sound in my neck. Like a sizzling sound when you open a can of pop. I can hear it. Like fluid passing through a small opening causing bubbles. It is hard to describe but I wonder if it is related to the cystic type structure they found on the test.
    I have that exact same sound, but only in the past few weeks when my neck has been really severe, and only when I tilt my neck a little bit a certain way. I tried to explain to my hubby that it wasn't the normal crunchy creaky sound I get in my knees or my neck, but more of a liquid sound. I described mine as a squelch, like when your shoes get wet. I could almost swear I feel mine oozing liquid, the sound is so distinct, but that's probably just an illusion.
    I do hope you find some satisfaction soon.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:24 AM   #5
    littleshelly
    (female)

littleshelly HB User

Hi Lilydilly, yes I have described this to people many times. It is like fluid passing through a small opening. I have had it for years so I am guessing the cyst has been there for quite some time and I was not aware of it.
    The sizzling scares me a little but I am getting use to it. I believe it is spinal fluid passing through an opening that has been narrowed by the cyst or disease.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilydilly View Post
    I have that exact same sound, but only in the past few weeks when my neck has been really severe, and only when I tilt my neck a little bit a certain way. I tried to explain to my hubby that it wasn't the normal crunchy creaky sound I get in my knees or my neck, but more of a liquid sound. I described mine as a squelch, like when your shoes get wet. I could almost swear I feel mine oozing liquid, the sound is so distinct, but that's probably just an illusion.
    I do hope you find some satisfaction soon.

Closed Thread